The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avalon 737 vs UA LA610 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

compressor 2 cents

On the subject of the compression...

I track drums (room mics) through my 737 and I will compress on the way in. I prefer to have a slower attack on these tracks so they punch harder. If you compress at a high ratio, with a slow attack, the initial snare and kick transients are allowed to sneak through.

I will usually slow the attack even more than the "stock" fastest setting to get this effect.

Also, the comp is useful for smoothing out vocals at low ratios. I usually use 2:1.

Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

<< When I added the Mullard and really compared closely.... the vocal was no longer cover with a blanket of hissy noise. and it sat more up front. >>

INTERESTING. I swapped the tubes in my 610 a few years back (with Mullards) and I preferred the stock UA tubes- seemed to have had more lo-mid beef.

Maybe I should look into it on my 737 with that glaring recommendation!
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

I have 2 solo 610's and they sound best with the Jan GE 6072a tubes. I think many of the pricier 610's already have them in it. One of my solo's did. The 6072 makes the biggest difference. But I also put in Telefunken ribbed plate 12ax7's in the other slot and that adds a nice sheen to the top end. Very 3d and tubey sounding.

I have alot of tubes and tried different combinations but seemed to sound the best on everything.
Old 5th September 2007
I've considered the 737 a few times, but each time I hear a pretty boxy sounding preamp. Does anyone else hear that?
Old 5th September 2007
jyc
Gear Addict

maybe it's the tube (using stock tubes for now), but the LA-610 i'm using in studio has a lot of what other expects toob colour to be and headroom problems...and also sometimes produces soime really disgusting high end which other pres don't when used with certain mics

it can sound gorgeous, but I doubt it would be an versatile pre.

it's like when you have a family, it's always good to have a 2-seater sports car (the cool factor), but you got to have that four seater for your wife and your kidsssss, and LA-610 ain't the 4-seater

just my humble opinion

jyc
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

whenever I'm recording drums, I try to get a 737 for the snare. that pre is my fav on dynamic mics! try sm57, sm7, audix i5, grey sen 421!
fantastic hishelf EQ! patch into distressor or ADR compex and here we go!
very detailed and clean and "instant sounding-like-a-record".
also great with sampled snares or as DI for drumcomputers!

the 610 was only good for electric guitars and bass-amps to my ears. after all a quite boring device. absolutely not the mojo of the la2a. and a somehow rather clouded than warm sound, similar to the inexpensive TLA ones..
I compared the pre to my old dusty mackie 1604vlz. that one wasn't too bad either, so I didn't buy the 610, but an Aphex 1100, which gave me two channels of wonderfully warm and in-your-face sound, when combined with the right mic.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by glitch View Post
I've considered the 737 a few times, but each time I hear a pretty boxy sounding preamp. Does anyone else hear that?
Not me. The 737 is my absolute go-to for my somewhat boxy sounding Yamaha C7. Smooth and not overly colored, but somewhat forgiving. I have the old compressor, which I think is fine for tracking. A little more smoothness, hard to get into trouble. The e is pretty sweet.

I also have the 2-610 which has been permanently elegated to the job of DI for synths, or the 184's micing the top of my Leslie. Fizzy and vibey, very different from the 737, which is more true and hi-fi.

If I want more rock n roll or coloration or transistor punch I go with API or Great River. Then there's the DRS-2 which is cool and 3-D on just about everything, and would probably be my favorite tube pre, except it's solid state.

All very subjective.

An additional plus for the 737 is that it's a great box to go out to during a mix.

-R
Old 4th July 2011
Here for the gear

hi i just got an avalon 737 and it's an awesome machine... i also have the great river me 1nv which is an cool preamp too... but i would use the avalon for vocals more cause it's a tube and it gives it a much more smoother and warmer sound as for the great river it's too crispy clean probably good for instruments instead...
Old 4th July 2011
Lives for gear

How would you guys describe the sound of the Avalon 737 DI for synths? Has anyone used one for recording synths?

Also for people having both the 610 and the 737, how they compare to each other in the DI department?
I'm seriously contemplating buying a 737 for vocals and synths, but I can't try one before buying, and I can't find anywhere a sample of its DI on synths!!!...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search