The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rosetta 800 at 192 Audio Interfaces
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac
Rosetta 800 at 192

Just bought a Rosetta 800. I want to be able to do stereo simultaneous ad and da at 192. From the manual, it appears I can do this only using the AES output because the ADAT does not appear to function at 192. Two questions:

1. is it correct that the Rosetta 800 adat can't handle 192? I thought most high end devices like this could do two channels of adat at 192.

2. my dig audio interface is an EMU 1616M, and it has SPDIF coax that switches between AES and SPDIF formats. What kind of cable would I use to connect the AES xlr from the Rosetta to the coax spdif on the EMU?
Old 1st September 2007
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

The ADAT protocol is limited to 48kHz. Not by Apogee, that's just the highest it goes.

AES and S/PDIF are essentially the same thing; I think AES carries some other stuff, and is something like the "pro" version of S/PDIF but should sound the same.

I have AES outpus connected to S/PDIF inputs for 88.2+ sessions.

If you already have the 25-pin D-Dub to XLR output connex for the Rosetta 800, just get (or make) female XLR to RCA cables.

I have my 800 connected to an 002 this way for higher than 48khz sessions.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

why record at 192 kHz?
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Max from Apogee himself will tell you to not bother @ 192. Go 96 if need be. He said in a thread on here that if you want to go 192k on one of their boxes to please call him so he can talk you out of it.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
The ADAT protocol is limited to 48kHz. Not by Apogee, that's just the highest it goes.
I have my 800 connected to an 002 this way for higher than 48khz sessions.
ADAT is limited to 48kHz per channel. However, using S/MUX, you can multiplex 2 channels together to get 96kHz. 96kHz is commonly available, and is a feature of the 800. There's only 1 bit in the Wavefront chip specs to indicate S/MUX, however, so it would seem that 96kHz will be the highest you can go.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierce85 View Post
why record at 192 kHz?
my first and only thought when I saw the thread title heh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search