The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A sub for NS10M Studio Monitors
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

A sub for NS10M

Hello,
I'd like to add a sub to my NS10 M (+Yamaha amplifier). Which subs can I try?

Thanks
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I use a KRK RP10S .

Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

i use a velodyne spl-800.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Thank you!

Some other advice?
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear
I use a Hafler 10"..not sure the model but I think they discontinued them. Its a great unit if you find one used or B stock.
Old 4th September 2007
member no 666

I have to ask why you would want to put a sub on NS-10's... the original intent for those monitors was to be a small nearfield reference to something that some kid might have in a dorm room... they were never intended to be "main" monitors... when they came out they were thought of as "HiFi Auratones"... a place to check your mixes but little more.

The thing about NS-10's [and why everyone removed the grill from them when they first came out] was that you could watch the movement of the woofer to determine if the bass in the mix would make car speakers "fart out" or not... by adding a sub you'll take away that function of the intended use for that monitor.

NS-10's are indeed a great secondary reference tool... but before you go trying to fix a very flawed item I would think it pragmatic to investigate an overall set of better monitors.

Peace.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear
Well....MY reason for putting a sub on NS10s is for nothing more than illustrating to a a certain class of client that yes....there is plenty of bass on the mix. Please stop asking me to reduce it to mud because it doesn't sound like your low rider with an 18" sub in the trunk.

Speaking of flawed.....
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Right, but that's why you have your large mains. Switch it up to those, and everyone in the room is like, "Oh wow!", but you know that you are mixing your bass/vocals or whatever with the NS-10s.

I second not putting a sub on the NS-10s. Maybe put a sub on your mains. But not on the NS-10s.

Overall, the issue of needing a sub to begin with is sometimes that of client education. Educate your clients that it's not supposed to sound mastered, nor 'thumping' in the control room.
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
The thing about NS-10's [and why everyone removed the grill from them when they first came out] was that you could watch the movement of the woofer to determine if the bass in the mix would make car speakers "fart out" or not...
Peace.
So that's the reason eh? Good stuff and thanks. I used to see these in all the studios back in the late 80's early 90's when I was tracking in studios instead of sitting behind the board and so I bought a pair recently, just because I was wondering WTF the hoopla was about. They do seem to help translate some stuff in the upper mids in my space, but I've got a full blown NHT A-20/B-20 reference system here and it works fine for the full frequency stuff so I'm gonna lose that sub on the NS10's and see what it takes to extrude the drivers.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Go cheap and get a FOSTEX sub. Only $179 and it works.
Old 4th September 2007
Gear Addict

+1 for getting a better set of mains rather than getting a sub..

I have the same thing, i have clients that love bass.. and i love bass for that matter. Now when i'm producing and writing, i spend most of my time on my full frequency phat Dynaudio BM15s. i dont really need my NS10 until mix time..
When i do switch on the NS10s.. i explain to the client that the speakers are meant to represent most peoples crappy home stereos... and unlike my dynaudios they wont make the mix sound better than it is.

my advice.. leave the NS10s as a good reference to mix with and get yourself something a little more defined in all areas like a pair of Dynaudios / KRKs / Adams / Genelec / Klein & Hummel / PMC. it might cost you a little more money but it will pay off in the long run and your mixed will be better!

Blue.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

I already have my 'main monitors' and Yamaha are already my second reference.

The sub for them is not for the fun of my customers but for me to have a further listening for the bass section and the mix in general!
Old 5th September 2007
member no 666

Your "second reference" will be skewed with an addition of a sub... I can totally understand the "client wow" factor [in my control room, once you're about 3 feet behind the desk the low end is quite a bit larger... at the mix postion is pretty close to dead nuts accurate in terms of frequency response]... but remember, what you hear in the room won't be on the final mix [unless you like to mix with way to much bass and the sub might be a method for you to get that "to much bass" under control.

With all due respect... putting a sub on a pair of NS-10's is like dropping a bigger engine in a KIA... yeah, it'll go faster... but who cares, it's still a KIA. In the words of my father: "smart man wouldn't do it and a lazy man wouldn't do it"

Best of luck with all you do, and please allow me to apologize in advance if you feel like I'm pissing on your lawn.

Peace.
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
Your "second reference" will be skewed with an addition of a sub... I can totally understand the "client wow" factor [in my control room, once you're about 3 feet behind the desk the low end is quite a bit larger... at the mix postion is pretty close to dead nuts accurate in terms of frequency response]... but remember, what you hear in the room won't be on the final mix [unless you like to mix with way to much bass and the sub might be a method for you to get that "to much bass" under control.

With all due respect... putting a sub on a pair of NS-10's is like dropping a bigger engine in a KIA... yeah, it'll go faster... but who cares, it's still a KIA. In the words of my father: "smart man wouldn't do it and a lazy man wouldn't do it"

Best of luck with all you do, and please allow me to apologize in advance if you feel like I'm pissing on your lawn.

Peace.

I need a sub 'simply' to hear if everything is in balance and to put the right bass energy (it's 'simply' another possibility), not to have a Ferrari instead of a Kia!

My thread was simply 'Which sub do you use for Yamaha (if you use of course)?'!!!!!!! and not 'do you use a sub for them and why?'!!!!!!
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search