The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Has anyone ever disputed a chargeback on Paypal? Mas­ter­ing Plugins
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

When you agreed to accept credit cards via Paypal, you agreed to become a merchant and accept chargebacks. There is a simple Paypal account which you cannot accept credit cards. So no worries about chargebacks 6 months later.

Oh and yeah, this guy is a loser. Regardless whether he's "a nice guy" or not, the ball is now in his court to be sure you get your money in a timely fashion. He should be keeping in touch with you, not the other way around. He should be sure you get your money back and ASAP. As in overnight money order.

I say spill the beans on him, cause I wouldn't do business with him after reading this. If he doesn't take your problem seriously then he certainly wouldn't take my problem seriously.

Who is he?
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear
I didn't take a credit card...He apparently funded his PP account with a credit card. That's what is so frustrating - I don't take cards for this very reason. I thought PP protected me from this. I've emailed him and if I don't hear anything - I'm letting the cat out of the bag...
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

The simple keys to paypal:

1)Never leave money in your paypal acct for longer than a day
2)Always keep your tracking numbers for up to 1 year. And always ship with tracking numbers. Even ship "inanimate" goods as well. For instance, John Kenn should have transferred the ilok as well as sending the paperwork via certified mail.

One thing that I have found out for sellers, as long as you have proof of delivery you are safe. They will never hold you accountable for a chargeback if you have a tracking #.

I went through many pains in the ass with paypal. They help $10k from me for over 3 weeks. Finally had to jump through 10 hoops to get it back.

The thing that really screwed me was some software I sold on ebay a few years ago. The person got it, then filed a claim saying that the software cd was broken. She immediately took me to square trade. I negotiated with her and agreed to pay for a new copy of the software. Sent her the new copy and everything was cool. 3 months later I get a chargeback notice from paypal. The brought my account to -$600.

She filed the chargeback under the premise that she had never received the item. At this point, I no longer had the tracking#. I sent paypal e-mail and square trade logs that showed she admitted to receiving the item. They said to dispute a chargeback they had to have the tracking # no questions asked. I tried to call UPS to get it, and no luck. The 7 day time frame expired and they closed my acct.

A year later I applied for a new credit card and got declined. I did some research with my credit report... It showed that I had an outstanding balance with paypal. Then i had to dispute this claim with Experian. I sent them all the pertinent information and they removed the acct from my credit report.

But that will give you an idea of what they can do... Just remember the 2 keys and you won't get screwed on paypal
Old 29th September 2007
Gear Addict

A few months ago, I sent a money request through PayPal to a client of mine (one that I've had trouble getting payment from before). Once I received payment, I transferred the money to my bank account, then a week later, I noticed a negative balance of the same amount. I called PayPal to see what the deal was, and they said that the buyer in this case had put a hold on that amount through their bank. (I guess once he received his CDs, he wanted to put a hold on it). PayPal took it very seriously, considered it fraudulent activity on the buyer's part, took my balance back to zero, and after filling out a few forms for them to investigate the situation, I haven't had to deal with this particular headache-inducing client since.

So in short, PayPal has been good to me.
Old 29th September 2007
One with big hooves

Knock on wood, I've never had a major issue with PayPal...

I'm wondering though, has anyone ever had a dispute with them over 'sevices' and not goods?

I've been using PayPal to take credit cards on mix & production services for a while... never had a problem... but sometimes I wonder...
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
so, after losing both his gear and his money,

my friend, who's done a TON of e-bay business,

will never use pay-pal again, and he's spreading the word...

I feel this (although I've been lucky), yet it seems this is more of a moan zone thread since paypal has a monopoly on this service. Everyone that is 'done with paypal' hasn't mentioned an alternative.

Is there one? Or is this a venting therapy thread
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear
Google Checkout...which I haven't used yet, but I've heard they aren't charging fees until the first of the year...
Old 29th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Google Checkout...which I haven't used yet, but I've heard they aren't charging fees until the first of the year...
Ah HA!

Thanks for this....very interesting. Wonder if Ebay (who owns paypal) will censor google checkout?

Anybody used it yet?
Old 30th September 2007
Gear Maniac

there is a reason behind paypal's heavy hand

there is also a reason visa has not historically let consumers accept credit card payments

paypal is judge and jury, and payments are like checks that never clear. but doing business in the wild west of consumers, internet and fraud is very tricky.

to me, paypal is soley for ebay auctions and following the seller protection policy to the legal letter.

anything else carries chargeback risk. ironically, in that respect a cleared check is safer for the person accepting it.
Old 30th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
I didn't take a credit card...He apparently funded his PP account with a credit card. That's what is so frustrating - I don't take cards for this very reason. ...
A while back, I think you had the ability to accept or deny credit cards, but now there is no way for the seller to know how the buyer is funding the payment. But remember, you agreed to accept credit cards payments when you signed up for the premier account. A seller who has a premier account allows buyers to pay with a credit card. Just about everyone is a premier member who uses Paypal. I am, you are, probably 90% of the folks here have premier accounts.

If you ever tried to fund something with a credit card and got the message, this seller does not have a premier account, then they have a basic account which can only accept direct deposit funds, or echecks I think. But no credit cards.

Credit card companies are the king here, not Paypal. They will police their own customers. If a fella attempts too many chargebacks, they will normally put sanctions on that guys account or just drop them altogether.

But if businesses decide to stop accepting credit cards, they might as well sell out and go work at McDonalds or something because most of their non-local business will dry up. People *like* to use credit cards.

Why we even have cash anymore is thought provoking and confusing. We should just all have points instead of cash. I'll sell this Neumann KM84 for 800 points....
Old 4th October 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post
Ah HA!

Thanks for this....very interesting. Wonder if Ebay (who owns paypal) will censor google checkout?

Anybody used it yet?
Yes eBay has already "censored" Google Checkout.

I use Google Checkout often, and it's great. Simple, clear, and easy to understand. I highly recommend it.
Old 4th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bove View Post
Yes eBay has already "censored" Google Checkout.

I use Google Checkout often, and it's great. Simple, clear, and easy to understand. I highly recommend it.
Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Wonder though, (if) when things go bad with the transaction, if they are any better than paypal anyway? As mentioned, it's not really paypal's policy regarding chargebacks, it's the credit card companies policy, so I can't see how Google would be any different in that regard.

And how is ebay censoring it? If you mention 'google checkout' in your description it would be censored? Or even just 'google'?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search