The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TLM 127 or Brauner Panthera ?????? Condenser Microphones
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

TLM 127 or Brauner Panthera ??????

Hello,

I would like your advices between these two mics (TLM 127 and Brauner Panthera). I want to buy a matched pair of one of them. This would be mainly to record acoustic grand piano, in a jazz context (so mics inside the piano). I use a Millennia Preamp for it so I'm looking for a pair of warm mics to go with the very clean/natural sound of the Millennia.

Any suggestion ?

thank you
Old 31st August 2007
member no 666

For acoustic grand piano in a Jazz context where you're looking for "warm" with a Millennia pre-amp I would recommend the Microtech Gefell M-295's or the Josephson e22S's. I have only heard the Neumann 127 once and found it kind of brittle and sterile [a trait which the Millennia will exacerbate] and while I really love the Brauner "Panthera" I didn't find them to be quite as 'warm' and 'intimate' as the Gefells or the Josephsons on my piano [1946 "Hardman" 5 ft. baby grand].

Best of luck with your search.
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

Thank you very much for your suggestions, I will put them on my "trying list".

Anybody else for advices ???
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Don't wanna hijack, but has anyone compared the Phantom to the Phantera?
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash888 View Post
I use a Millennia Preamp for it so I'm looking for a pair of warm mics to go with the very clean/natural sound of the Millennia.
You may be interested to listen to THIS

From my experience, a good SD pair captures the sound of acoustic instruments much better than a LD pair ...
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

Hello again,

I own a pair of Shoeps Cmc6 mk4, but with the Millennia, they sound a little to "hard" on piano while they sound GREAT on overheads drums or ambiance in classical music. For the piano, I've had very good results using sone Neumann U87 with the Millennia, but those mics are too expensive for me, since I need to buy a matched pair...
I was also thinking maybe about some tube mics like some Charter Oaks, but I have no way to try them ... :(

Still any suggestion ???

Thank you, have a good day
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash888 View Post
Hello again,

I own a pair of Shoeps Cmc6 mk4, but with the Millennia, they sound a little to "hard" on piano
You should try a different preamp and you may be quite surprised. Also - omnis (MK2 etc.) could be more suitable for the task.
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

I tried with a tube tech also, it wasn't convincing for me. thing is it's not only for Piano solo. For Piano solo, Schoeps are great cause I can't put them few feets away from the piano and then the sound is great. But in a jazz context, I woulnd need to put the mics more "inside" the piano and that's where it sounds bad with the Schoeps. With other instruments playing, the omnis for the piano are just not usable. (I forgot to mention that I only record Live music, never in studio).

thank you for your quick answers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search