The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Copying SSL G series Floppy Data Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

Copying SSL G series Floppy Data

Hi,
Does anyone know a way or copying data (raw / binary / disk image) from an SSL 3.5inch G Series floppy onto a Mac? I have a recall that I need to send to another country, and the floppy is the only part that will require a courier. Is there a program that can bypass the familiar "this Disk Is unreadable by Mac OSX" and just copy the binary data, and create a file that is restorable at the other end onto another floppy once i've emailed it???

Thanks In Advance.
Old 31st August 2007
theother
I'd be very surprised if this is possible!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

When will someone make a box so we can use newer computers???!!!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
I'd be very surprised if this is possible!
I will 2nd that, I would be surprised as well. If you need to recall eq/dynamic setting and so forth I would start taking pictures of the console and its settings. I know it sounds like a a pain in the ass, but I work in the analog domain when i mix down and I take pictures after each song mix. Since my board does not have any automation thats my old school way of coming back to songs and getting them set back up to as close to where they were at. Good Luck
Old 31st August 2007
Old 31st August 2007
RECIPE FOR DISASTER.

Just bite the bullet, back up the floppy and FedEx it...

Anything else is just asking for trouble.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

On a PC you should be able to create a disk image in Nero. then make a 2nd copy.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by splex View Post
Hi,
Does anyone know a way or copying data (raw / binary / disk image) from an SSL 3.5inch G Series floppy onto a Mac? I have a recall that I need to send to another country, and the floppy is the only part that will require a courier. Is there a program that can bypass the familiar "this Disk Is unreadable by Mac OSX" and just copy the binary data, and create a file that is restorable at the other end onto another floppy once i've emailed it???

Thanks In Advance.
Definately a longshot, but this is a trick we used to do on OS9 Macs in order to copy non-Mac media.

Back about 10 years ago when we all had Roland S-760 samplers, and we were loading in several samples/programs from various CD-ROMs, of course we would put our favorite sets of sounds on one Zip disc. I wanted to make safety copies of all that.

Quick version:
• computer must be in Mac OS9
• open Apple Menu > Control Pannels > Extensions Manager
• Disable Apple CD extension
• Connect your source drive to the Mac
• open toast and burn to the destination media

I don't know if this will work with floppies, but it worked with making custom CDROMS where the source material was not on a Mac formatted drive. Disabling the Apple CD Extension allowed a non Mac drive to be mounted, although you could not view or alter the data.

Just a FYI, when doing this for CDROMs, the Roland sample data had to be on a drive that was smaller than a CD (700MB) which meant that it had to go on a 540MB HD. Toast would simply do a blind copy of one drive to the other. If the source drive was larger than the CD, as soon as 700 MB was exceded, you had a coaster.

Hope this helps.

JFW
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for Jesus

Why not just make a copy on the ssl computer, and mail that one?

or just send the one you have ?

Old 1st September 2007
theother
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84K View Post
When will someone make a box so we can use newer computers???!!!
Because you would never re-coup the $ you pour into such a project!!

Have you seen the amount of connectors that go to the desk from the SSL computer? Who's going to build all that hardware that interfaces with a PC? Who's going to write the software for the automation? I don't think SSL would give you the original code.

There is just not enough demand for something like this.

The original computers still works and parts are cheap.

Why fix something that ain't broken?

I don't think you'd be ready to pay $20,000 & upwards for a new computer and the development that would go into a project like this!

If you sell 50 of these boxes you'd be very very lucky.

If you run out of parts and can't fix the original then it would be a different story.

If you think it's such a good idea why don't you start a project?heh
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OafyC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfw3 View Post
Definately a longshot, but this is a trick we used to do on OS9 Macs in order to copy non-Mac media.

Back about 10 years ago when we all had Roland S-760 samplers, and we were loading in several samples/programs from various CD-ROMs, of course we would put our favorite sets of sounds on one Zip disc. I wanted to make safety copies of all that.

Quick version:
• computer must be in Mac OS9
• open Apple Menu > Control Pannels > Extensions Manager
• Disable Apple CD extension
• Connect your source drive to the Mac
• open toast and burn to the destination media

I don't know if this will work with floppies, but it worked with making custom CDROMS where the source material was not on a Mac formatted drive. Disabling the Apple CD Extension allowed a non Mac drive to be mounted, although you could not view or alter the data.

Just a FYI, when doing this for CDROMs, the Roland sample data had to be on a drive that was smaller than a CD (700MB) which meant that it had to go on a 540MB HD. Toast would simply do a blind copy of one drive to the other. If the source drive was larger than the CD, as soon as 700 MB was exceded, you had a coaster.

Hope this helps.

JFW

Think these seem like my best bets so far, thanks for everyone's advice on this...

Obviously I know all the usual methods of copying SSL Floppys, as we have Master and Safety floppy copies of all songs we work on. It just seemed like in this day and age you would expect a computer such as a Mac or PC to be able to ignore the file structure of a volume and copy it bit for bit without actually being able to mount the volume. I'll carry on looking into it....

Thanks again...
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

We used to do it again on OS9 and you would get your self a copy of "Diskcopy"

This would allow you to do an image copy of a 3.5" disk, email that and then recreate the image at the other end.

Good luck

George
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by splex View Post
Hi,

Thanks In Advance.
On unix systems the basic program for doing that is called "dd". Under windows there's a simple frontend called rawwrite. Don't know any easy way under OS X, I always just use the terminal.

The dd example would be: (on a Linux system)
dd if="/dev/fd0" of="floppy.img"
Reverse if and of to restore.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search