The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Old, Gold & Requisite L1 Ribbon Microphones
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Old, Gold & Requisite L1

I just snagged a Requisite L1, an old, gold colored single channel unit. It will take a while to cross the sea to me.

Does anyone have any experience with these ? Are they as sweet as the new L2's ?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr View Post
I just snagged a Requisite L1, an old, gold colored single channel unit. It will take a while to cross the sea to me.

Does anyone have any experience with these ? Are they as sweet as the new L2's ?
Danny designed the L2 (which I own) from those units, you wont be disappointed at all. You got a unit that's better then an LA2A for about a third the price (I take it you were the one that won it on ebay). It's great for a lot of things especially vocals but also acoustic instruments, bass, electric guitar and anything else you might want to use an opto compressor on, enjoy!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the comments, Larry.

Yes, I got the one on EBAY, and the owner turns out to be very nice & helpful. They contacted Danny for me, to help decide if it needed calibration, which it doesn't, but I'll retube it.

I've been wanting an LA2A for a while, to complement (and sometimes chain to) my MC-77 when tracking, but somehow I couldn't pull the trigger on a LA2A reissue, and the good, old ones are outa sight.

There's a new Skibbe Red Stripe on EBAY now, and I was considering it, but I suspect that the L1 will be nicer, and it was a fantastic deal.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for the comments, Larry.

Yes, I got the one on EBAY, and the owner turns out to be very nice & helpful. They contacted Danny for me, to help decide if it needed calibration, which it doesn't, but I'll retube it.

I've been wanting an LA2A for a while, to complement (and sometimes chain to) my MC-77 when tracking, but somehow I couldn't pull the trigger on a LA2A reissue, and the good, old ones are outa sight.

There's a new Skibbe Red Stripe on EBAY now, and I was considering it, but I suspect that the L1 will be nicer, and it was a fantastic deal.
Hey Jonathan,

Danny is the best, really only re-tube it if it needs it, otherwise no need. Whereas an LA2A will start to roll off high end at 30K these things go out to 80K before they start to roll off. IMHO I've always like this unit better then any LA2A I ever owned (and owned 3 in my life time). It's a piece you can use and keep forever.

Personally, Danny is build freak, quality fanatic and a retired mastering engineer, so I can't think of a better person to be an audio equipment manufacturer. He's the guy that turned me on to Quad Eight, from there the rest is history...

Have fun,
Larry
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Jonathan,

I see your in Maui, you lucky dog. When I lived in SF, I use to jump over to Maui at least once a year, love that place (and the small island Kauai, to hike the Neapolli coast).

The MC77, is that a Beyer or the new Berliner mic?

Enjoy the Requisite!
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Danny is a true gem. I had a great chat with him yesterday, and he gave me a few insightful compression pointers I'm sure will improve my tracking. I can't wait to get this one working.

My MC77 is a Purple 1176, and my fave tracking compressor for vocals up to this point.

Per Danny's advice, I'm going to try just touching the vocal with the 1176 set fast, and then doing the heavy lifting with the L1 behind it. My usual vocal chain is a Brauner Valvet or Peluso 47LE or 251 to Pacifica or Great River or old Altec Pre, or sometimes RE20 or R84.

We're out on the wild SE side of Maui, facing the big island, on solar with no neighbors for miles. It's a beautiful morning, but I'm about to get greasy and beat up welding and wrenching on tractor implements.

I paid my dues for years in Manhattan, and figure that somehow this life here balances things out.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Per Danny's advice, I'm going to try just touching the vocal with the 1176 set fast, and then doing the heavy lifting with the L1 behind it. My usual vocal chain is a Brauner Valvet or Peluso 47LE or 251 to Pacifica or Great River or old Altec Pre, or sometimes RE20 or R84.
I use to do a similar thing in mastering with my Cranesong STC8 as my fast acting FET comp/limiter and the L2M as my smooth one. It works great!

Enjoy!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I received the Requisite L1, and of course since I was so excited about receiving it old murphy arranged for it to arrive DOA.

I called up Danny for wisdom. His response - open it up and let's see if we can get it fixed without further shipping.

He led me through the circuit, and we found the rather hidden wire that got disconnected (a transformer shifted enough to pull on it in transit) and after sending him a jpeg to make sure I was resoldering it to the right place, I resoldered it and the unit works like a charm.

It's a wonderful sounding unit, and beautifully built. I cant't wait for my next tracking sessions.

Danny is truly a kind, brilliant innovator, and I feel fortunate to have had the opportunity to get to know both the Danny and the L1.

In this case, over the course of a few hours minor misfortune was turned to great advantage.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search