The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beloved API 2500, minor pet peeve Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Beloved API 2500, minor pet peeve SOLVED !

I love the API 2500. Since I got it, it's been sititng on my main buss and so far the bypass button has rarely improved things.

The knee and thrust buttons are momentary switches that select one of 3 settings. I generally set them both to medium; however they default to the top settings, hard & loud respectively, and often I'll turn on the system and print a mix before realizing that they had defaulted.

I wish that they would revert to the last setting.

If there is some way to get them to do this that I haven't figured out, please let me know.

Last edited by Jonathan Starr; 31st August 2007 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: Problem solved tnx Gearslutz
Old 30th August 2007
no, there isn't. It seems to me the memory of the switches is emptied when the power's turned off. I got used to it. You can take notes.. heh
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr View Post
I love the API 2500. Since I got it, it's been sititng on my main buss and so far the bypass button has rarely improved things.

The knee and thrust buttons are momentary switches that select one of 3 settings. I generally set them both to medium; however they default to the top settings, hard & loud respectively, and often I'll turn on the system and print a mix before realizing that they had defaulted.

If there is some way to get them to do this that I haven't figured out, please let me know.
Interesting - my API 2500 defaults to "soft", "normal," "old" and "hp filter shaper" whenever it's turned on. Every track I do is a "blank slate" and I make recall sheets for all my analog processor settings for every track - so this has never bothered me. I can see for some that having it revert to the last setting would be a cool thing to have - best thing is to contact API and see whether there is a mod they could do for this.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Old 30th August 2007

The meter switch also defaults to "in" instead of the usual "GR".
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

wow - that is a pretty big design flaw, in my opinion!

Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cellotron View Post
Interesting - my API 2500 defaults to "soft", "normal," "old" and "hp filter shaper" whenever it's turned on.
Mine as well...most of the time..sometimes it defaults to "hard", "normal" and "new"...Never quite understood why this issue wasn't addressed...But we already have to pay attention to the PCM 42's, SSD 3000, and sansamp PSA anyway.

Last edited by The Alamo; 30th August 2007 at 10:32 PM.. Reason: redundancy
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Same problem here. We asked our dealer and he told us that you can put some sort of battery into the 2500. The funny thing is it's not included. This makes it 2$ dollar cheaper. Don't know if this is true. Anyone from API here?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Mine will hold it's settings for up to a minute after it's turned off. If it is kept off for more than a minute, it goes to HARD, LOUD and GR. The New/Old stays where it was, since it's a latching pop in/out switch.

Wierd that some revert differently. Perhaps that was a revision change.

The fact that it holds it's memory for a minute seems to infer that it holds till the caps discharge, so maybe a battery backup would work.
Old 30th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener View Post
Same problem here. We asked our dealer and he told us that you can put some sort of battery into the 2500. The funny thing is it's not included. This makes it 2$ dollar cheaper. Don't know if this is true. Anyone from API here?
hé, another mystery solved?
Attached Thumbnails
Beloved API 2500, minor pet peeve-api_2500_inside2.jpg  
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alamo View Post
Mine as well.....But we already have to pay attention to the PCM 42's, SSD 3000.... anyway.
Yes indeed.

This can be annoying, but there are a lot of units that do not return to the previous settings. You get used to it after a while. Keep a note sheet tacked up near the console, a "check list" of all the units you must reset after powering everything up from off.

I got nailed once too... printed an important mix with a reverb that had defaulted to a slightly different setting... the reverb was spitting out dry signal as well as wet (even though it was intended to be run 100% wet). The unintended dry signal coming through the reverb caused a phase conflict with the original signal (due to some differing latency issues between the signals), and the problem was only noticed on headphones, AFTER the mix was done and torn down. As soon as I heard it, I knew what it was, because I was also so paranoid about forgetting to reset the unit... and I knew then and there that I forgot... oh the frustration. The phase issue is extremely slight, but it's there and I hear it... and it'll bug me forever.

So now I do not work without a checklist of units that must be reset upon power up.... such as the PCM42, 2500, etc. The minute the power goes on, the settings get adjusted immediately.... period... regardless of ringing phones and/or other interruptions.

But I'm sure the purists here will say that you need not worry about resetting settings because if you cannot HEAR the "problem" ("incorrect" or unintended settings) while mixing, then perhaps the original settings do not matter anyway. Follow your EARS, not lights and knobs.

Having said that, my ears DID shamefully allow a slight phase issue to pass by on a track... very embarrassing... couldn't hear it on the monitors but heard it on headphones later... this is a good reason to check mixes on headphones before tearing down.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

There are buttons on my API 7800 summing box that are the same way - input selectors mainly - i find this irritating as well - not a big deal to push a button - but until I got used to it, everytime I'd start a session it'd take me a few to remember why I no sound was coming through. Maybe I'll see if there is a battery holder there as well.

cww2
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

i only just discovered the battery thing a few months ago when i removed the top cover to paint it black. HATE the unfinished top.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i only just discovered the battery thing a few months ago when i removed the top cover to paint it black. HATE the unfinished top.

gregoire
del
ubk
bro...get a rack and paint THAT instead
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Opened mine, and it indeed lacks a battery.

CR2450N Lithium is the one for the job.

http://www.zbattery.com/cr2450ncu.html

Gearslutz Rocks thumbsup
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
bro...get a rack and paint THAT instead

it's in a rack, maple with a handrubbed honey finish. but i leave spaces in between each piece so the top of the 2500 is still visible. hence the paint job.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 2nd September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:

Gearslutz Rocks thumbsup
So you replaced it and now it remembers your last settings??

If so.. HOW cool !!

Old 2nd September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:

Gearslutz Rocks thumbsup
So you put in a battery and now it remembers your last settings??

If so.. HOW cool !!

Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post

If so.. HOW cool !!

Wellllll.........

I ordered the battery and it appears from above posts and from staring at the motherboard that it will remember the last settings.

So theoretically we may be home free, but I've been massively wrong before
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

If so.. HOW cool !!
..and how stupid that it's not included! dfegad
Old 2nd September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Wellllll.........

I ordered the battery and it appears from above posts and from staring at the motherboard that it will remember the last settings.

So theoretically we may be home free, but I've been massively wrong before

Thanks for doing that. Please keep us posted.

Quote:
..and how stupid that it's not included! dfegad
I'm sure they have their reasons. "stupid" is kind of harsh though, don't you think? I'm thankful they made such a cool box.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm sure they have their reasons. "stupid" is kind of harsh though, don't you think? I'm thankful they made such a cool box.
Yeah, stupid might not be the right word (I'm not native English). It's a cool box of course, but isn't it nevertheless strange that we need a thread like this to get an idea that there's something to put a battery in?

Would be interesting to hear "their reasons".
Old 2nd September 2007

Put a battery in mine today and it now holds the settings. We'll see how it does over the long run.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks for doing that. Please keep us posted.

Not to be argumentive but i think stupid is a good word for it...look at all the trouble you guys have gone through. Over a 2$ battery...there’s nothing in the manual? If I made the box I wouldn’t do that. Not to my customers, that’s just cheap. Seems like its been a pain in the ass to you guys
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
...i think stupid is a good word for it...
Don't be too quick to call it stupid. API is a top-grade outfit making top-grade gear. I'm sure they didn't omit the battery because they were "stupid". As well, I'm sure they didn't omit the battery just to save 2 cents per unit. If they were that concerned about saving a few pennies, their gear would be crap... but it's not. There's probably a good reason for the battery omission. Someone should just contact API directly and ask. I'd do it but frankly I'm happy with the 2500 as is.

Or maybe API decided to just have the battery be an option... if so, at least they made the provision for it. Some folks don't like batteries. I'm actually not a fan of internal batteries, if not necessary. I've had several batteries in older units go bad and leak inside the unit, causing other damage. Ok, it's my fault for not checking / replacing the batteries in a timely manner, but... I'd rather just not have the risk / headache at all. I can live without saved presets. Others who find saved presets more important can pop in a battery. Cool. API ain't that dumb after all.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, stupid might not be the right word (I'm not native English)
What about 'lame'?

At least they could've made a note of in the manual, don't you think?

RR
Old 3rd September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

lol. Opinions are like ..well ... you know the old saying...

I wrote API to ask them why. I know the tech there from previous service work. I'll find out from the source.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey this is good to know as I'm just about to buy a 2500, hmmmm can't wait. Everyone happy the the sound still?
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathen View Post
Hey this is good to know as I'm just about to buy a 2500, hmmmm can't wait. Everyone happy the the sound still?

more happy with the sound with each passing day, it's been 4 years now. and i'm still continually surprised by the things it can do to a mix, it never seems to run out of tricks.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 3rd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
Not to be argumentive but i think stupid is a good word for it...look at all the trouble you guys have gone through. Over a 2$ battery...there’s nothing in the manual? If I made the box I wouldn’t do that. Not to my customers, that’s just cheap. Seems like its been a pain in the ass to you guys
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
Don't be too quick to call it stupid. API is a top-grade outfit making top-grade gear. I'm sure they didn't omit the battery because they were "stupid". As well, I'm sure they didn't omit the battery just to save 2 cents per unit. If they were that concerned about saving a few pennies, their gear would be crap... but it's not. There's probably a good reason for the battery omission. Someone should just contact API directly and ask. I'd do it but frankly I'm happy with the 2500 as is.

Or maybe API decided to just have the battery be an option... if so, at least they made the provision for it. Some folks don't like batteries. I'm actually not a fan of internal batteries, if not necessary. I've had several batteries in older units go bad and leak inside the unit, causing other damage. Ok, it's my fault for not checking / replacing the batteries in a timely manner, but... I'd rather just not have the risk / headache at all. I can live without saved presets. Others who find saved presets more important can pop in a battery. Cool. API ain't that dumb after all.
Sorry but I completely agree with effectsnut here. If they didn't want you putting a battery in 1) they should have clearly said "don't put a battery in" or 2) they should not have included a place to put a battery in the first place.

To me it just seems like they cut a small corner and didn't back it up with documentation as they should have. Maybe they could have said "you can put a battery in but be warrned of this this and that" or just put a battery in there from the get go.....

For the record I don't have a 2500 but I am thinking of getting one so I have been following this thread. The battery omission is not going to turn me away from the unit at all.

heh
Old 3rd September 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search