The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Beloved API 2500, minor pet peeve Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 3rd September 2007
  #31
Lives for gear
 
666666's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new View Post
Sorry but I completely agree with effectsnut here. If they didn't want you putting a battery in 1) they should have clearly said "don't put a battery in" or 2) they should not have included a place to put a battery in the first place....
Technically, when you buy the unit, you're NOT supposed to be opening it up and screwing around under the hood. To my knowledge that would void the warrantee. So there is no real reason for API to have to give any info or warning about batteries, etc. You're not supposed to be in there in the first place.

Of course, a more "hardcore" user can elect to contact API directly and ask technical questions regarding "modding" (such as placing a battery in a battery slot that originally had no battery). I personally would never put a battery in without consulting API first. But if they told me it was ok to do so, perhaps I'd do it.

Bottom line... the 2500 is an amazing unit, works as advertised, sounds great... done deal... battery or no battery. I have not yet opened the hood on either of mine (have two presently and use `em both often)... I've never had a reason to. I use them to process audio, I plug cables in and out of them, I press buttons and turn knobs on them... that's it... that's all you're supposed to do... not take them apart.

But hey, if a new cool trick / mod has been discovered that has been approved by API, then that's great!... an extra bonus! But it sure as heck has nothing to do with API being "stupid" or cheap... I cannot see the logic in this mode of thinking. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Once you'd buy the unit and actually have it and use it, you won't be worrying about batteries. You'll be enjoying it's excellent capabilities and hopefully shaping some great audio into even better audio.

Old 3rd September 2007
  #32
Gear Maniac
 
vocomotion's Avatar
 

I suppose it's also possible that this "feature" was left out of documentation intentionally. Maybe the "battery-backed settings" was a feature that was not stable or even functional when the product was released...too late to take out the parts, etc. Could be possible. API seems pretty smart about their design. Doubtful they'd just put something useful and functional in a product but not tell anyone about it.

--> freddie
Old 4th September 2007
  #33
Lives for gear
 
Jonathan Starr's Avatar
 

I can well understand if API didn't want to ship the units with a battery in place, which would limit their shelf life and have the potential of leaking.

I am wondering whether they had legal advice recommending they not mention it in the manual.

I sit on a governmental body, and I'm amazed at the nonsensical endless stuff that Counsel advises us not to do, which my spineless fellow Commissioners eagerly lap up.
Old 4th September 2007
  #34
jho
Lives for gear
 
jho's Avatar
 

This from API:
----------
Hey Jeff,
You are exactly correct. When the battery is installed, the unit will
remember its Knee and Thrust settings. I don't know why we don't include the
battery. I guess these units come 'batteries not included"!
----------

funny! I sent an email back asking why there is no mention of it anywhere...stay tuned
Old 4th September 2007
  #35
Lives for gear
 
Mastering101's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post
This from API:
----------
Hey Jeff,
You are exactly correct. When the battery is installed, the unit will
remember its Knee and Thrust settings. I don't know why we don't include the
battery. I guess these units come 'batteries not included"!
----------

funny! I sent an email back asking why there is no mention of it anywhere...stay tuned

LOL so i guess there was no science to itheh
Old 4th September 2007
  #36
Lives for gear
 
666666's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr View Post
...battery in place, which would limit their shelf life and have the potential of leaking...
This very well may be the reason, makes a lot of sense, very understandable. API is not going to tell you this though.

No point in prying at this issue any further. We should be thanking API for producing such an excellent unit.

Bottom line, it appears you can put a battery in your 2500 if you want. Cool! Those who wish to do it can do it.



Old 4th September 2007
  #37
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Whenever I get a new tasty piece, pretty much the first thing I do is lift the lid (gotta see what you paid for!). I can't remember specifically which units they were (not a 2500, though...don't own one), but I know I have seen this in at least two other analog units that I own.

It puzzles me as to why they would need a battery for this while still plugged into the mains supply, though? Disconnected from mains completely...sure, battery needed then, but while connected? Hmmm

I think computers and hard disk recorders etc. only use their batteries when disconnected from mains power. But then again, I don't have enough EE knowledge to confirm this, and a computer or HDR, the 2500 certainly is not.
Old 4th September 2007
  #38
Gear Guru
 
u b k's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
I think computers and hard disk recorders etc. only use their batteries when disconnected from mains power.

i don't know about current models, but historically the lithium battery in macs was essential for startup. battery dies, no startup.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
Old 4th September 2007
  #39
Quote:
Originally Posted by 666666 View Post
Technically, when you buy the unit, you're NOT supposed to be opening it up and screwing around under the hood. To my knowledge that would void the warrantee. So there is no real reason for API to have to give any info or warning about batteries, etc. You're not supposed to be in there in the first place.

Of course, a more "hardcore" user can elect to contact API directly and ask technical questions regarding "modding" (such as placing a battery in a battery slot that originally had no battery). I personally would never put a battery in without consulting API first. But if they told me it was ok to do so, perhaps I'd do it.

Bottom line... the 2500 is an amazing unit, works as advertised, sounds great... done deal... battery or no battery. I have not yet opened the hood on either of mine (have two presently and use `em both often)... I've never had a reason to. I use them to process audio, I plug cables in and out of them, I press buttons and turn knobs on them... that's it... that's all you're supposed to do... not take them apart.

But hey, if a new cool trick / mod has been discovered that has been approved by API, then that's great!... an extra bonus! But it sure as heck has nothing to do with API being "stupid" or cheap... I cannot see the logic in this mode of thinking. But, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Once you'd buy the unit and actually have it and use it, you won't be worrying about batteries. You'll be enjoying it's excellent capabilities and hopefully shaping some great audio into even better audio.

Well I agree with you on parts of this.... except that I still disagree that it is not important or that someone in API didn't drop the ball just a little bit.

Let's put it this way, my Great River EQ has digital controls for it's analog settings (I am sure you know what I am talking about). If I shut down the EQ for the night, come back to a mix the next day and the settings were all gone I would be PISSED!

heh

Seriously I don't think that we should have to go inside the unit to take care of something but I do think that API could have either 1) shipped the units with a battery 2) included a way to power the settings from the mains (not going to work in all cases, some people shut down their racks obviously but it is a solution) or 3) included in the manual a point about having the battery installed by the dealer or service tech.

What they did was just assume that saving the settings was just not important enough to worry about or they just forgot about the battery altogether.

It is an important feature for some people, I know it would probably be an annoyance for me. I would rather that they just put the battery in or at least tell us the feature is in there and how to go about installing it i.e. take it to the dealer or open up the unit and do this this and this etc.

Again, not knocking the unit at all, it seems like a great piece. I just think this was a small detail that slipped under the radar.
Old 4th September 2007
  #40
Lives for gear
 
Realtugs's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i don't know about current models, but historically the lithium battery in macs was essential for startup. battery dies, no startup.


gregoire
del
ubk
.
While that never happened to me, it certainly does sound familiar.

One unit I know for sure works as I described above is a Roland VS-1680...my first digital multi-track years ago. Disconnect the mains without a battery (same sort as the 2500 here) and all your User Presets would be gone. That never happened to me either, but it has been in storage for 6 or 7 years, so probably has by now.
Old 10th June 2009
  #41
Lives for gear
 
piotr's Avatar
 

Hi,
Apologies for reviving an old thread.

My api-2500 "forgets" the settings at power down also, so I am thinking of buying the battery and installing it myself. But before I do that, just wanted to see if anyone could report back after months or years of usage:

Are things holding up OK?
Any issues?
All good with the batteries?
Is installation easy?

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Sincerely,
p.
Old 10th June 2009
  #42
Registered User
 
Rick Sutton's Avatar
 

Installation is easy. Mine worked fine for a couple of months then it started losing the meter setting but kept all the rest. That is where it has stayed. It is possible that it never kept the meter setting and I just began to notice it after a while but I don't think so.
Old 10th June 2009
  #43
Lives for gear
 

for me, resetting it to where i like it (soft, loud, old) requires only two button pushes, and is part of my whole switch-flicking, power upping routine, which i quite enjoy in a piloting the millenium falcon kinda way. my metering defaults to GR on power up too.
Old 10th June 2009
  #44
Lives for gear
 
piotr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
Installation is easy. Mine worked fine for a couple of months then it started losing the meter setting but kept all the rest. That is where it has stayed. It is possible that it never kept the meter setting and I just began to notice it after a while but I don't think so.
Good to know!

Did you install this battery? Or some other make?

I called api asking whether self-installation will void warranty, but have not heard back yet...

p.
Old 10th June 2009
  #45
Registered User
 
Rick Sutton's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
Good to know!

Did you install this battery? Or some other make?

I called api asking whether self-installation will void warranty, but have not heard back yet...

p.
it's been well over a year since I installed one so I really don't remember, whatever it was I just picked it up at Radio Shack or a local Walgreens drug store, nothing esoteric. Probably is listed earlier in the thread.
Old 10th June 2009
  #46
Lives for gear
 
piotr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sutton View Post
it's been well over a year since I installed one so I really don't remember, whatever it was I just picked it up at Radio Shack or a local Walgreens drug store, nothing esoteric. Probably is listed earlier in the thread.
OK, thanks.

p.
Old 10th June 2009
  #47
Gear Maniac
 

Do you need to have a battery these days to store previous settings? Don't they have like Flash memory these days that could remember settings without a battery? Why don't they use that technology.

The battery part, Im on two sides. I mean they do not really have to tell the customer if they advertise the product without mentioning this feature. Its like some computers these days that have special expansion capabilities that no-one knows about, until a time when there are upgrades available.
Old 11th June 2009
  #48
Lives for gear
 
opentune's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyc View Post
for me, resetting it to where i like it (soft, loud, old) requires only two button pushes, and is part of my whole switch-flicking, power upping routine, which i quite enjoy in a piloting the millenium falcon kinda way. my metering defaults to GR on power up too.
Hell yeah!!! We don´t need no steenkin batteries!!!heh
Old 11th June 2009
  #49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recman View Post
Do you need to have a battery these days to store previous settings? Don't they have like Flash memory these days that could remember settings without a battery? Why don't they use that technology.

The battery part, Im on two sides. I mean they do not really have to tell the customer if they advertise the product without mentioning this feature. Its like some computers these days that have special expansion capabilities that no-one knows about, until a time when there are upgrades available.
Yes you need to put a battery inside the unit. Its not really that hard. Shell out $3 and change for a pack of batteries, Pop the top, put one in. Done. I wonder how much more expensive will your idea make the 2500, just to remember "settings"? Perhaps they do this to make is simple for the user to decide what is best for them. I could do without my previous settings just fine, but they'll only cost less than $3 and change to remember.
Old 11th June 2009
  #50
Lives for gear
 
Jonathan Starr's Avatar
 

Works fine with the battery.
Old 11th June 2009
  #51
Gear Maniac
 

How long do you think these batteries will last for before changing once installed? Most likely, I will put the batteries in and when it's flat, I won't even remember about this memory recall thing and just go about my business.
Old 11th June 2009
  #52
Gear Maniac
 
API Sez...'s Avatar
2500 and a battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotr View Post
Did you install this battery? Or some other make?

I called api asking whether self-installation will void warranty, ...

p.
The recommended battery for the 2500 is indeed the CR2450N - it's a Lithium 3v and should last for several years.

You will not void the warranty if you install the battery yourself.

The original thinking was that the 2500 would be mostly used in a studio where equipment rarely gets turned off. Only in situations where there frequent power cycles of the equipment is the battery necessary - live sound, remote recording, etc. In those situations, it would be relatively easy to explain to the user, the addition of a battery for holding up those settings.

You know what they say about hindsight ..... we should have included info on the battery in the 2500 manual - and do - now.

Thanks for all your comments - it keeps us on our toes.
Old 11th June 2009
  #53
Lives for gear
 
piotr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
The recommended battery for the 2500 is indeed the CR2450N - it's a Lithium 3v and should last for several years.

You will not void the warranty if you install the battery yourself.

The original thinking was that the 2500 would be mostly used in a studio where equipment rarely gets turned off. Only in situations where there frequent power cycles of the equipment is the battery necessary - live sound, remote recording, etc. In those situations, it would be relatively easy to explain to the user, the addition of a battery for holding up those settings.

You know what they say about hindsight ..... we should have included info on the battery in the 2500 manual - and do - now.

Thanks for all your comments - it keeps us on our toes.

Thank you!

That's the information/answer I was looking for!
(I will stop waiting for the call back now ;-)

p.
Old 29th June 2009
  #54
Lives for gear
 
theblotted's Avatar
 

i bought my API2500 in Oct '08, installed the battery on the first day, and it's still working fine - remembers all settings faithfully.

hopefully it'll last couple years as mentioned in previous post.
Old 20th December 2009
  #55
Lives for gear
 
drew's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by API Sez... View Post
The recommended battery for the 2500 is indeed the CR2450N - it's a Lithium 3v and should last for several years.

You will not void the warranty if you install the battery yourself.

The original thinking was that the 2500 would be mostly used in a studio where equipment rarely gets turned off. Only in situations where there frequent power cycles of the equipment is the battery necessary - live sound, remote recording, etc. In those situations, it would be relatively easy to explain to the user, the addition of a battery for holding up those settings.

You know what they say about hindsight ..... we should have included info on the battery in the 2500 manual - and do - now.

Thanks for all your comments - it keeps us on our toes.
So does this mean that the official recommendation from the manufacturer is to leave the unit on 24/7?

Thanks.
Old 20th December 2009
  #56
Lives for gear
 
Jonathan Starr's Avatar
 

When you call and ask them, they suggest that you install the battery. They don't install at the factory, because they don't want to limit shelf life. And they spaced out mentioning it in the literature.

Kinda lame, but it's easy enough to drop one in.
Old 20th December 2009
  #57
Lives for gear
 
piotr's Avatar
 

Yes: I did eventually get a battery at Walgreens. Installation was super simple. Works like a charm.

p.
Old 24th October 2010
  #58
Lives for gear
 

rather than using a battery, would it not be simpler to replace the existing 'push button' with a 3-way clicky switch that will (naturally) stay put whether the unit is on or off?
Old 25th October 2010
  #59
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Kid's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastering101 View Post
Not to be argumentive but i think stupid is a good word for it...look at all the trouble you guys have gone through. Over a 2$ battery...there’s nothing in the manual? If I made the box I wouldn’t do that. Not to my customers, that’s just cheap. Seems like its been a pain in the ass to you guys
Yes agreed.........

I'd say something else but already had a bollocking for bad language
Old 25th October 2010
  #60
Gear Maniac
Only on gearslutz a 2 page tread on the turmoil over a frickin battery. Install it. Be done with it. WTF
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
nadav / Mastering forum
1
XHipHop / Rap + Hip Hop engineering and production
22
borism / So much gear, so little time
21
basement / High end
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump