The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is this considered mixing in the box Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 30th August 2007

is this considered mixing in the box

taking 16 tracks recorded at once through my console into the computer , back out of the computer into my console but only into 2 channels for stereo . then taking that signal into a masterlink or whatever...... to me it seems like im mixing the faders, but using the console as a summing buss, sooo is mixing in the box when you actually mix down to a file in the computer??????
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWG_TRAIN View Post
taking 16 tracks recorded at once through my console into the computer , back out of the computer into my console but only into 2 channels for stereo . then taking that signal into a masterlink or whatever...... to me it seems like im mixing the faders, but using the console as a summing buss, sooo is mixing in the box when you actually mix down to a file in the computer??????
Mixing in the box, means you are mixing in the box.......

Did you perform any mixing operations in the DAW program? like fader adjustments, or the use of software effects and plugins....

If the answer is yes, then calculations where made to the audio before leaving the DAW program and going to your console, which means some of the mixing was done in the box.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

You aren't using the console for summing in the scenario you described. If there are only 2 tracks coming into the board (stereo L/R), then the summing occurred ITB. Summing is the process of combining or consolidating tracks. You may or may not be benefiting sonically by running through your board, but you are not currently benefiting from analog summing.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

If you mixed them to 2 track on yr mixer and then sent that 2 track mix to the computer, then you will have summed it analogue. this resembles an off the floor mix - live band situation which I don't think you did.

Or you could send all the tracks back out of the computer to each input of your mixer then re-mix to 2 track..again that would be an analogue sum.

You summed to 16 tracks to 2 tracks on your computer, then sent it to the mixer - hence, your DAW did the sum for you...if your mixer has transformers on the master fader buss, when you sent it back out again it could possibly sound different but you are not summing analogue.

Summing is just taking all the tracks and putting them together to a final stereo track.

If you'd like to add something to your DAW summed 2 track, try feeding it out to an outboard compressor to beefen it up or strap a plug across it...experiment!

Good luck
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search