The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
is protools hd96 good as 192hd Digital Converters
Old 30th August 2007
Mastering Moderator

Hook them up next to each other and you'll find out.

heh

No need for an analyser.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I started with a 96i, and added a 192 I/O when I needed more I/O. When I compared them, the difference was very obvious, so I sold the 96i and bought a second 192.

The 192 sounded clearer, the 96i furry.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why doesn't someone run some tones through the 96io and throw and analyzer on the results? That was we'll have some actual information rather than speculation.
There's no need to speculate...Digidesign themselves will tell you that the converters are quite different, and as mentioned a quick look at the specs on their site will tell you the same thing. They're not the same thing.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
There's no need to speculate...Digidesign themselves will tell you that the converters are quite different, and as mentioned a quick look at the specs on their site will tell you the same thing. They're not the same thing.
I'm not saying that they're the same thing. I am saying that with a good external clock, they sound pretty damn close to the 192s to me, especially when you consider how cheaply you can get the 96ios for now...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Starr View Post
I started with a 96i, and added a 192 I/O when I needed more I/O. When I compared them, the difference was very obvious, so I sold the 96i and bought a second 192.

The 192 sounded clearer, the 96i furry.
That sucks!!! Do you think they did this on purpose?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know about the "furry" part (I owned a 96io for about a year and thought the quality was fine, but not great...but I never perceived it as "furry"), but wouldn't you expect a converter that's half the cost of another converter from the same company to not sound as good as the more expensive one?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWG_TRAIN View Post
alot of marketing!!! WOW ..... I mean they could have said, the 96io has different converters and it sounds differnt than the 192....

the 96 I/O is the perfect choice for those who want to experience the power of the innovative Pro Tools|HD system but don't need all the192 I/O's high sampling support capabilities. The 96 I/O interface might be the best-sounding 24-bit/96kHz out there. The audio quality is nothing short of stunning
Then would they sell any?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
Why doesn't someone run some tones through the 96io and throw and analyzer on the results? That was we'll have some actual information rather than speculation.
I think its simpler than that, open it up and see what its made of.

Fwiw I would never buy a 96 i/o.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWG_TRAIN View Post
ok, correction, i read this at sweetwater. com not Digidesign. (It made me think that the converters were the same, but 192 just had higher sample rates...)

here is what sweetwater said:
At around half the price of Digidesign's 888|24 I/O, the 96 I/O is the perfect choice for those who want to experience the power of the innovative Pro Tools|HD system but don't need all the192 I/O's high sampling support capabilities. The 96 I/O interface might be the best-sounding 24-bit/96kHz out there. The audio quality is nothing short of stunning. You get 16 channels of fantastic I/O options, including 8 channels of high-definition analog I/O, 8 channels of ADAT optical I/O, 2 channels of AES/EBU and S/PDIF I/O, and Word Clock I/O. Plus, it's compatible with the latest standards in the world of digital audio production.

thats sweetwater mumbojumbo. they say that about everyhing... go read a review of an MXL mic...... sheeesh

i think your original question has been answered several times.

-s0nguy

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search