The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
question about pro tools hd Audio Interfaces
Old 30th August 2007

question about pro tools hd

if i got the hd 192, what the best way to hook it up so i can run it into my console so i can mix down on my console..... want to mix outside the box, just want to use the computer for editing. I saw where it had 8 in and 8 out. but im confused how to use the adat in and out to get the other 8 in and out.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

You would have to buy the DA expansion card for the 192 i/o to get the additional 8 analog outs. The adats are helpful too...but you would need a DA converter such as an apogee or lynx etc. to get out of those.

Welcome to pro tools...the land of unexpected costs.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory View Post
You would have to buy the DA expansion card for the 192 i/o to get the additional 8 analog outs. The adats are helpful too...but you would need a DA converter such as an apogee or lynx etc. to get out of those.

Well, although it's simple enough to explain online, Digi is renowned for it's phone support. Register your purchase and give 'em a call!

It'll help cut down on any confusion and misinformation. Bryan's right for the most part. Except this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Talbot View Post

You are limited to sixteen inputs and outputs in a single 192 interface. The combination of analog and digital depends partly on additional A/D or D/A card you buy.

That should read 16 input or outputs, I believe. Unless they've changed something, I believe your limited to a total of 24 channels of i/0 per 192.
Old 30th August 2007

so if i get the 192, just by itself, ill have 16 inputs and 8 outputs, but if i add the 8 d/a card then ill have the full 16 in and out.
Old 30th August 2007
Tape Op

The 192 will initially only have 8 in and 8 out analog, BUT you can add in the expansion slot another in OR out. That means 16/8 or 8/16.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you do even minimal research before you buy this shouldn't be an unexpected cost...Digidesign has always been very clear on how the systems works...

Quote:
That should read 16 input or outputs, I believe. Unless they've changed something, I believe your limited to a total of 24 channels of i/0 per 192.
As far as onboard analog ins and outs are concerned that's correct...there's on slot you can add either 8 channels of A/D or D/A conversion to...but using the onboard digital I/O you can get up to 16 ins and outs between the various digital and analog options.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
If you do even minimal research before you buy this shouldn't be an unexpected cost...Digidesign has always been very clear on how the systems works...
To be fair to the OP, being clear about confusing, counter-intuitive system option leaves room for confusion... hence this whole thread.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory View Post

I hate those jerks too for giving us all the options and software upgrades all the time
and charging for them too!

Why can't they be like MOTU and only upgrade they're stuff every couple of years?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
I hate those jerks too for giving us all the options and software upgrades all the time
and charging for them too!

Why can't they be like MOTU and only upgrade they're stuff every couple of years?

Yeah, how dare they. They should at very minimum call every potential customer and tell them exactly what they'll need for their exact desires. We shouldn't have to do all that research ourselves.
Old 30th August 2007
Actually, you can get 32 I/Os from a single 192 if you use the legacy port and the old Digi Y cable. That's how I'm set up - 24 channels of Radar and 8 channels of 192 with a single 192.
Old 30th August 2007

hey mike, can you explain more how you do that using the legacy port. thanks
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
To be fair to the OP, being clear about confusing, counter-intuitive system option leaves room for confusion... hence this whole thread.
I don't know, the OP actually asked about the ADAT I/O and got a bunch of answers regarding other options...I think the answer to his question was actually pretty clear...but my comment was in response to another comment.

Quote:
Actually, you can get 32 I/Os from a single 192 if you use the legacy port and the old Digi Y cable.
True, but to do that you do need to use another Digidesign interface or two...just an older one. You can get 32 channels of I/O off of each HD card either using two HD interfaces or one HD interface and the legacy port...but you can't use the legacy port and a second HD interface off of the same 192...
Old 31st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWG_TRAIN View Post
hey mike, can you explain more how you do that using the legacy port. thanks
I attach a Y cable and connect it to an ADAT bridge that connects to 16 channels of Radar. The built in optical goes the another 8 and I use the 8 analog I/Os.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search