The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone use the "big" Blue Bottle?? Condenser Microphones
Old 25th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
I put the savings towards a B7 capsule which I greatly prefer to the brighter B6 that came with the mic.
Maybe mine are B7s then... I believe I chose the less bright of the two pairs of capsules I was trying...

Hell, I dunno.. they're nice, in any case.

-dave
Old 25th April 2004
Lives for gear

The M50-ish perspex sphere omnis (the B4) is high on my "someday" list.

-dave

me too, right at the top of my "Microphone Purchase" list, second only to another Coles 4038.

Maybe mine are B7s then... Hell, I dunno.. they're nice, in any case.

Yes, yes they are, very nice indeed.
Old 25th April 2004
Lives for gear

in case you are wondering about the capsule numbers...the b7 isblue´s "u47" capsule (dark), the b6 is their "c12" capsule (brighter) and the b0 the "elam 251" capsule (yeah I know the elam is supposed to have the same capsule as a c12...but the the b0 is even a little brighter). I have not tried anything but the b6 (as the c451 compatible lollipop) and it is simply the ebst vocal sound on 90% of all voices that I have ever gotten.
rock on, pat
Old 25th May 2016
It seems the Bottle is the most versitle high end tube mic out there with its multiple capsules to choose from. I have heard it with the B6 and B7 capsules and thought it sounding great. Is there anything about the mic people don't like?
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
It seems the Bottle is the most versitle high end tube mic out there with its multiple capsules to choose from. I have heard it with the B6 and B7 capsules and thought it sounding great. Is there anything about the mic people don't like?
Wow. Necro-thread! It's really nice sounding mic. I do find the size and shape to make it prohibitive for a number of activities (OH, piano, etc.), but if you are using it to record vocalists or instrumentalists, none of that should matter.

The question with Blue can tend to be when a capsule was made, though. They seem to have changed their mind throughout time as to how certain capsules should sound. There was a period where the K47 types were unacceptably dark, for my taste. But some of them have been gorgeous. I had discussed with it Skipper and Martins, and there definitely is more than one tuning that has ben used over the years, at least on that capsule.
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

That is my bitch with it, it is huge. Excellent sounding to me but it takes a brute of a mic stand.
Old 25th May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
That is my bitch with it, it is huge. Excellent sounding to me but it takes a brute of a mic stand.
I remember when Skipper introduced them. He'd always been into the Telefunken and RFT bottle mics, like the CMV3 and the CM7151. Before Blue started faking U47s, and were actually restoring old mics, they had done a few bottle mics. Skipper had always been so interested in design, and I think the idea of a bottle was more the impetus than "What form factor will work with this circuit." It really was a great marketing idea at the time, and nobody was making a boutique mic that sounded as good at the time.

If you look at the CMV563, you can see that you can do interchangeable capsules at a manageable size, but I think the size of this thing was maybe the sales gimmick. You'd need a pair of Starbirds to put these things horizontally as OH or anything!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search