The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Aurora AD vs. Pro Tools 96 I/O Channel Strip Plugins
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Lynx Aurora AD vs. Pro Tools 96 I/O

Any comments on whether it is worth buying a Lynx Aurora AD converter instead of just using the Pro Tools AD w/ HD accel2? Is there that big of difference?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Seeing as that most say the aurora beats the pants off of a 192, i'd say hell yeah there will be a big difference. The 96 is not a great sounding box.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Always been confused about digi hardware. The self acclaimed standard in the industry has always had mediocre converters. The new hardware is better but there are so many options that sound superior. I have 32 I/Os of Aurora and they are.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

The Lynx is a no brainer. Not only do they sound better, but they work out to be a much better value, especially with the deals they have time to time (there's a banner ad here for some free cables with purchase).

•Couple things to mention... The Aurora's have the same latency as 192's/96's, so you can integrate them into a rig with 192's and not have to worry about comb filtering or other issues you can run into with convertors with different latency.

•The meters on the Aurora's are kinda week, but so are the ones on 192's/96's. There is a p.c. metering program if you are so inclined.

•The Aurora 8 & Aurora 16 are 1 space, but they run hot, so I suggest a 1 space buffer, although I do know some people who damn the torpedos and pack them next to each other. They feel hotter than a channelstrip on a 9000j. Anyway, this saved me some rack real-estate because I leave spaces between 192's as well. Keep in mind that with this one space unit, you can do more than 2 2space 192's, and way more than a 96.

•The Auroras have no fans or noise associated with them. If you use interfaces that have fans in them, then the terrorists win.

•The Auroras do not have a trim pot on the back of them. It's my understanding that this is partly to improve the sound. If you have a setup that requires you to calibrate the unit's differently, I'd contact Lynx 1st and look into your options. Every channel I have is perfectly calibrated, which I love because I never have to worry about my calibration being a problem in signal flow. I see this as a positive, some see it as a negative.

•Later down the line, let's say you decide to switch daw's, or just start using a different one from time to time. This would be much easier to do with a Lynx.

•Superior customer service. Lynx's people are stellar. They never talk down to you, or make you feel rushed. I recently upgraded to a Macpro Intel 8core and had an issue with Pro Tools communicating with the Lynx (I had a older version of firmware). They were very helpful in helping me upgrade the firmware, and were awesome at systematically helping me troubleshoot my issue (which turned out to be my midi interface I was using to do the upgrade). Call Lynx, someone will answer. Email them, and someone will respond quickly. Try that with Digi.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Paul at Lynx = great support.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Paul at Lynx = great support.
+1!
Old 1st September 2007
member no 666

The Lynx stuff is very impressive sounding... I think ecue pointed out the major advantages and things to watch out for... FWIW I've found the Lynx's to be assisted by a good measure on the increasing the size of the low end as well as the 'silk' on the top end with the use of a Big Ben clock... but as always, YMMV.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search