The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
German tube mics: Power supplies Condenser Microphones
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

German tube mics: Power supplies

So I bought this Neumann M582 for some folk sessions, to use on acoustic guitar and the like.

I plugged it in, ran it in to my laptop, and got signal just fine.

Then I noticed on the power supply it says 220v ~ 50Hz, and wondered if I was going to have problems using it here in the States at 110v ~ 60Hz?

Should I be using a step down transformer between the wall and the power supply? I've used these mics in studios and can actually remember a step down transformer attached to one of the tube mics, but maybe it was a U47, or a CMV563.

Electrically semi-illiterate (and all of the sudden paranoid),
Aaron
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not sure how you got your mic and power supply to sound "fine" and work in the U.S. at 110 volts if it was wired up for European 220 volts. Many of these power supplies have internal jumpers which can be set for either U.S. current or European 220, and its possible yours has been set up for U.S. voltage and you don't realize it. Excellent, reliable, and clean step up/step down transformers can be purchased for about $50 to convert the voltage but if your power supply is already set up correctly for 110 you could damage it by putting 220 volts into it. You need to see who made your power supply, is an original Gefell or an aftermarket? If you can find out who made it, you need to call them and make sure everything is OK.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

I'm very sure you wouldn't be happy with mic's sound if it was done for 220 and runned on 110. So if it is ok than someone already fixed that thing.

Miha
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

How did you plug it in ? stike

from what ive seen the plugs for 220 are different than the 110 plugs we use in the states

Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

It had an old original (or I would assume) American standard plug, that probably came with it, or was an accessory. It is an original power supply. I wasn't thinking about the switch being internal for the 220v to 110v. I'm sure that's what it is, and it's already been set. Sounds great I'm excited

Thanks,
Aaron

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search