The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
La2a Hardware vs UAD LA2a Software - Part Deux! Dynamics Plugins
View Poll Results: Which is the hardware?
"A" is the hardware
23 Votes - 50.00%
"B" is the hardware
23 Votes - 50.00%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

I voted for A. I'm guessing.

Brad
Old 31st August 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
So........

I think today is going to be a great day for my nuts!
What about tomorrow though
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Oh man. I wanna really wanna reveal the answer, but I promised I wouldn't.

This is gonna be great. As it stands now, the vote is still about 50/50, which means half the people got them mixed up...

I actually thought we'd have a better showing of accuracy this time, since the sonic differences were explored in the previous thread, but I guess the less drastic settings made it a bit harder for some folks. The differences to listen for are still the same though...
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast9 View Post
What about tomorrow though
heh
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

A sounds slightly better to me on all the clips. I'd love it to be the software but I suspect it's the hardware..
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

And the answers are.....

A = Hardware
B = Software
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Hahaha... I got my nuts back bitches!
La2a Hardware vs UAD LA2a Software - Part Deux!-t1_squirrel_nuts.jpg
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaytex View Post
Hahaha... I got my nuts back bitches!
Attachment 40378
Yep. I knew you'd be excited. Well, you learned from last time, to listen for the saturation among other things, right? I think the first Hit in the Drum sample is the clearest giveaway, but you can hear it in everything if you know what to listen for.

I'm surprised there was a poorer showing overall this time. Where a lot of you folks absent for part one?

A lot of people liked the software better. Smoother, less obtrusive, more of a 'sheen'.

A lot of people like Budweiser and would pick it as there beer of choice against a 'superior' thin Lager.

Nothing wrong with that. If you need a light cold beer and a Bud is around, it'll definitely do the trick.

But, IMHO if you think Budweiser is the best Lager you've ever had, that doesn't necessarily mean you have good taste either.

But, at least you don't drink Coors Light. (Bomb Factory?)

Most days of the week I'd prefer a Brooklyn Lager, a Grolsch, a Stella, a Blue Moon, an Asahi, Guinness, a Boddington's, a Bass, etc., (Do you really want me to go on? True. Many of these are not Lagers.)

Just like UAD, if you need many 'instances' of Beer at a low price point, Bud will work great, get the job done, and taste just like a beer.

(mmmm.... compressors that taste like beer.)
Old 31st August 2007
moral of story - touting one over the other is a waste of time, they're both good.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakabrah2 View Post
moral of story - touting one over the other is a waste of time, they're both good.
I don't know, they sounded pretty different to me (even through headphones). A had glass and depth, b was murky (what I don't like about the uad version, even if its accurate). Anyhoo, I really like the sound of the a samples. How much did these cost you to build Norman?
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermos View Post
I don't know, they sounded pretty different to me (even through headphones). A had glass and depth, b was murky (what I don't like about the uad version, even if its accurate). Anyhoo, I really like the sound of the a samples. How much did these cost you to build Norman?
about $900 for the pair.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Absolutely.

I admit these comparisons are fun sometimes, but I have better things to worry about instead of beating myself up over using harware vs. the software. Both are proven tools/assets. (this is not to say I don't like hearing comparisons, just not worth the versus debates).

For me, it's a great solid frontend with good ears while tracking --> DAW, then never look back.

Thanks for conductiong this Nomad, it was very informative.

On a second note, I love a good Hefeweizen!
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Didn't hear the samples yet. Can't patch it in at the moment But I will tomorrow. But I have an LA2 with metal film resistors, Orange drops etc. And used caps in place of arco's for stereo. I also have lots of plug ins I waisted my money on. Well I must admit some of the plug ins are great! They work fine but to me are something to add if ya didn't track it correctly. I mostly use plug in's to correct a poorly tracked mix. And my main job doing voice over. Will post back in a few hours. Can't play back internet samples right now. But the hardware usually wins out. Especially when compressing. Unless you are using cheap tubes. Remember the LA2 was designed to keep AM radio in check from transmitter overs. The new versions are so much cleaner but have to be built by hand. And I think alot of people here have crappy monitors and or crappy room acoustics. Probably both...
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

I knew A was the hardware at once.. And that makes me kind of sad since I own 3 UAD cards..

Guess hardware wins this one!
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

Glad to see I got it right. ! I ordered part to build my first la2a and dual 1176. By the way parusha's rack cases look awsome so I ordered 2.

nice one all
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't know. My moral is - I can pick HW LA-2A over UAD any time, because I really know what I expect from it and I can also hear it... So - to me - UAD-1 LA-2A is usable, but I still NEED a hardware one to really put a smile on my face some day...
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Giving myself a pat on the back for getting it right...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search