The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pre or Plug? DAW Software
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Pre or Plug?

I apologize for what may be a simple question - but I want to improve my recording front end with EQ and compression and could go with a channel strip type device (like a UA LA610) but as I have Pro Tools HD am wondering if in effect I would get an identical result putting a plug in (say SSL4000) on an aux track on the way in?

In other words, does a plug in on the way in to Pro Tools give similar sonic results to a channel strip/mic pre front end?

Appreciate any help or advice?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Not to sound rude, but i wish I could have afforded that gear before learning what it was or how to use it. dang.

Neil
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Having a good analog front end does things that a plug will never achieve even if you have the plug on your input channel. Tracking with analog ger sounds different than mixing with it after the fact, if that makes sense. If you have the money always buy the hardware, it will hold it's value much better too.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Get Hardware first then some plugs. You want to have the best possible sound going in to the DAW. You need at least a few great pre's and you'll notice a huge difference.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Good hardware is an investment. Plugs come and go like young girlfriends. Hardware is like love, a wife, a mother. You need some good hardware to get some good sound into the DAW to then process with your plugs in the first place!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmiller View Post
I apologize for what may be a simple question - but I want to improve my recording front end with EQ and compression and could go with a channel strip type device (like a UA LA610) but as I have Pro Tools HD am wondering if in effect I would get an identical result putting a plug in (say SSL4000) on an aux track on the way in?

In other words, does a plug in on the way in to Pro Tools give similar sonic results to a channel strip/mic pre front end?

Appreciate any help or advice?
So are you saying that you want to tracking going in with compression and eq? As in you actually want the signal captured by pt to be effected as it's recorded? I"m not sure plugs will do that, I'm pretty sure you're still going to get the original uncompressed/uneq'd signal recorded. With outboard you can do what you're talking about.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

One thing i've learnt in life is getting good sound into the box is a major battle and accounts for so much of the final product. I see it like this; imagine you're carving a piece of wood; hardware is like a gigantic saw that gets you the shape, size and mostly there and plugs are like little blades that carve out details. In my world, both good hardware and plugs are needed for a good mix, but your importance lies in getting that shape out first so you can iron out the kinks with plugs. I say this all with the major assumption you are working with live audio, bands and such. Anyway, who says you can't route audio back out to hardware to process?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

you want to get the best possible improvement in the sounds you record? treat your room's acoustics, generously, with realtraps or 703.

as a bonus, your mixes will improve tremendously as well.

gregoire
del
ubk
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search