The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U67 pattern problem! Condenser Microphones
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

U67 pattern problem!

I might have a problem with my Neumann U67 mic....

- the fig-8 pattern is dull and bassy sounding, only little high freq.
- the omni pattern is the complete oposite: crispy high end but total lack of bass freq.
- the cardiod pattern is fine and sounds amazing! (like a mix of the above...)

It has been serviced and the capsule has been reskinned.
The tech guy said that it sounds as it should... really?!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

The cardioid is indeed a combination of figure of eight and omni.

Are we talking source in close proximity to the microphone here?(like vocals)

If so, be aware that figure of eight does have the strongest close proximity effect,(bass boost which might sound woolly) and that omni has none (clearer, but much less low end, altough it does extend further down) And that the cardioid should be right in between those.

So there is some logic here at least, but the magnitude off bassiness and lack of bass respectively is very difficult to understand from a written post.
A Sample perhaps? To let other U67 owners hear?

If you don't bother I'll happily take it of your hands for $200, I'll even pay shipping!
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjimjim View Post
The cardioid is indeed a combination of figure of eight and omni.

Are we talking source in close proximity to the microphone here?(like vocals)

If so, be aware that figure of eight does have the strongest close proximity effect,(bass boost which might sound woolly) and that omni has none (clearer, but much less low end, altough it does extend further down) And that the cardioid should be right in between those.

So there is some logic here at least, but the magnitude off bassiness and lack of bass respectively is very difficult to understand from a written post.
A Sample perhaps? To let other U67 owners hear?

If you don't bother I'll happily take it of your hands for $200, I'll even pay shipping!

thanks jimmyjimjim
yes, I did the testing with my own voice pretty close to the mic... maybe that's why... but still, the fig-8 pattern seems kind of useless cause it is still too woolen when backing off a bit. and omni still seems thinner with less bass freq, regardless of distance to the mic. when would someone prefer one of these two patterns over the cardiod pattern which has a beautiful warm and full-bodied "tone" with the addition of a smooth silky high end? - when do you NOT want that freq range on your source??? besides maybe a tamborine
Old 30th August 2007
member no 666

I don't know who "reskinned" the capsule but I have a feeling [from your description] that they didn't do it properly. The mic should sound similar in Cardioid as it does in Figure 8... meaning that you should have a pretty fair amount of proximity effect when you're using the mic within a foot, foot and a half of the sound source... but the top should be similar to when you use the mic in Omni [which won't have the same proximity issues as Figure 8 or Cardioid].

As long as you're not mistaking the lack of pronounced bass response due to the proximity effect for "mad high end" then it sounds to me like your mic has an issue.

Without hearing the mic it's impossible to say whether or not the "reskin" was done properly or improperly... but from my experience the high end character should be somewhat similar... the lower mids and bottom should change but not the top end of the response.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search