The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
protools mix core or not Digital Converters
Old 29th August 2007

protools mix core or not

Im about to open a commerical studio, and i dont really like profools but the industry does. so im gonna get it. I dont mix in the box. I just want to use protools as a tape machine and mix through my console. so im thinking of getting the mix system using my apogee converters with the adat bridge. I mean i can say to my clients now, I have protools.heh and they willl be so happy, I love cubase and nuendo software better. but its how the world works. , i know its only 24/48k...sooooooo anyway....my big question is, is there any latency problems with a mix core system,, i know some of it depends on the computer or most of it..but is the mix core card gonna have much latecy, i have a fast computer. and im gonna do at the most 24 tracks, just editing them on the computer then mixing down through my console... thanks
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

If you're only gonna be using Pro Tools as a tape machine then a Mix system with nice converters is an awesome deal!
Make sure that your computer can run the older versions of protools that support the Mix systems. All the details are on the digidesign website.

There is no monitoring latency in Mix systems which makes tracking awesome. However, you don't get ADC if thats a concern at all.

On a side note, if you have a fast computer, I would consider an LE system. I'd go for PT LE 7.3 and a Digi003 over a Mix system anyday!

Good luck!

mike
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Despite what your personal view are about Pro Tools, you should try and figure out what your clients needs are.
What city you're in? Does your competition have HD?
If your competitors have HD then I would not jump on the Mix bandwagon.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

What Tony said- except I can also add that I still use Mix3 as a tape machine with most things going on outboard and on the console and it works great for me... only when I start getting mix work that people demands happening in 96k will I go to HD (its happened once only so far and it wasnt a big payer either!)
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWG_TRAIN View Post
my big question is, is there any latency problems with a mix core system,, i know some of it depends on the computer or most of it..but is the mix core card gonna have much latecy, i have a fast computer. and im gonna do at the most 24 tracks, just editing them on the computer then mixing down through my console... thanks
unless you start juggling RTAS processing with the TDM, the computer wont have much to do with how thorough ProTools Mix (or HD) will run. The Host based LE systems are dependent on the speed and power of your computer but TDM systems use the Digi PCI cards for processing.
Also, if you do start running low on processing power, an expansion chassis and more mix farm cards wont run you through the financial wringer...
Really the only consideration to the HD arguement for me is the above mentioned 'competition' factor.

FWIW: I still use a mix3 and apogee ad8000 ADDA. A great system.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

You can get 48 stereo tracks in LE plus more features in PT 7 VS PT 6
Intel mac too.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Mix+ w/ two 24-bit ADAT Bridges here into a Panasonic/Ramsa DA-7 digital console. Works great, no issuses. You can get a Mix+/ADAT Bridges setup like mine for way less than $2500, that's 32 I/O and 64 tracks, no LE system can do that. You can use RTAS plugz on the audio tracks as long as they are inserted prior to any TDM plugz. For what you say you want to use it for it's fine. Most numbskulls ask if you have Protools, but very seldom ask what version, just "Do you have Protools?". "It ain't the tool, it's the mechanic." appys in numerous sitiuations, this is one of them. If you have Apogee AD8000's you can get Digi Mix Ambus cards for them and bypass the ADAT Bridges, seen them go for less than $200 on Ebay The Rosetta 800 uses the X-Digi-Mix card, so that's a go too, check Apogee's website. While gear lust is fun, so is just making music, only more so.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear
I'm still using a 5 card Mix system with Trident 80 console, and mostly all outboard for FX and compression. 3 Apogee DA16X units for 48 outs to the console upon mixdown. The system works flawless for me.

You can also use the TDM plugins as inserts without tremendous latency headaches as long as you don't go crazy and insert 4 on every channel. 1 or 2 on a channel that needs it here or there, then if you need to nudge it or use time adjuster and you're good to go. I still use certain plugins for special FX (like Sansamp) with great results!

Also, the biggest advantage for me is that I can do alot of my automation in PT and not bother with having to do alot of real time mixing adjustments on the Trident.

I really think the biggest advantage of HD is if you have high track count sessions and you are making your final mixing ITB. I was able to borrow a friend's HD3 accel system when he was out of town, and was not in the least impressed with it for the price difference. When running the outs into the console there was very little, if any noticable difference in sound quality. The plugins didn't sound any different to me either.

However, when not running through the console and mixing ITB the difference between Mix and HD was pretty dramatic. Made me feel truly sorry for those lost souls trying to mix ITB on a Mix system.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

how much can you get it for?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search