The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tracking bass @ home Single-Channel Preamps
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Try a Line 6 Bass POD.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

I recently recorded bass at home.
I rented a good Fender Jazz, an Ampeg SVT3 head + 4x10 cab.
I recorded the DI from the SVT3 and a 421 mic in front of the cab.

And it can't get much better than this as far as I'm concerned

If you can't get a amp in the house, you could just get a good bass and record everything through a standard DI, then do all of your edits in your DAW, and then take 2-3 hours in a studio to re-amp your tracks.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Nut

I have a similar set up to record myself on bass at home.

U5 -> Vintech x73i -> Distressor/dbx 160x -> Apogee Ensemble

Often the U5 directly into the Ensemble is great. I'm sure its even better through the Rosetta. I occaisionally use the eq presets on the U5, which are great if the bass is simply a support role in a pop tune. For more aggressive sounds I bypass the U5 eq and eq with the Vintech.

If I use compression at all its either for subtle peak limiting or as an effect for a super tight sound. Since I'm recording myself, I try to get the sound I want going in which greatly affects the way I'll play a particular tune.

Its also nice to bounce back and forth between headphones and studio monitors while recording. The way headphones have a natural high pass filter makes it easier to hear what you're doing, while the full bass in the monitors is reassuring when it starts to feel thin.

Finally, I've always liked recording direct. If an engineer wants to mic a cab while I'm playing I'm all for it but if its just me at home than going direct is just fine.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Just got a ME-1NV. Anyone tried to DI a bass into one of these?
Curious as I'll be recording some bass in a week or two.
Old 2nd September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Nomad View Post
Just got a ME-1NV. Anyone tried to DI a bass into one of these?
Curious as I'll be recording some bass in a week or two.

Might want to do a search on that question....

heh

The ME-1NV is a favorite for many folks when tracking bass with a DI. Great unit.... I like the Tab V71 DI a bit more but the GR is no slouch.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Oh! Nice!

The ME-1NV was sent up to me by my dealer to check out. Came with a MPE-200 and a Kultube.

I'll only get chance to check the gear out around Wednesday this week.
Old 2nd September 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

What about strings fellas ?? Pickups ??

Also, make sure you have at least a few different basses for an instant attitude change on your bass tracks.

I guess strings aren't slutty enough, but the right strings, with the right amount of playing time on them will make a huge difference in the sound.

Perfect intonation doesn't hurt either.

There's a lot happening between the player and the direct box.

Old 2nd September 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitman View Post
Try a Line 6 Bass POD.
Had one and sold it. Garbage IMO.
Old 2nd September 2007
SK1
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rochishin View Post
It seems to me that Neviesh pres get the first call around these partsl. Anybody have thoughts on non-Neve based pres?

I've never heard/tried an API on bass. How is it as opposed to Neve stuff? More midrange, punch? The British sound is associated with Neve. ............
I have played w/ neve 1272s / api 312 's and 512's ....... I'd say the neve has a bit more meaty bass and low mids, a warmer round sound. The api's sound more high fi and clearer to me with plenty of meat as well, but in a hi fi sort of way.

Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

I'm in Bass heaven with a REDDI>ME1NV>MC77>CL1b.What an $$$$$$$ chain!
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

For a DI I use Brent Averill API 312s (the remakes are fantastic on bass, super clear and punchy) and just plug the bass into the front DI. Sometimes for grunge I use a Tech 21 RBI, and for live amp believe it or not I mic a marshall guitar amp through a single 12" at med/low level with a 57 or 421, blend. Compressors: STC8, 1176, MC77.

ps. how do you guys like to split the bass signal when going to both a DI and amp at the same time? Obviously some DIs have a split out but if not?
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Addict

culture vulture for bass

You should check out the Thermionic Culture Vultue for bass too. It's a firm favourite in the UK right now with engineers like Cenzo Townsend using it on 'The Kaiser Chiefs' and 'Reverend and The Makers', and Nick Terry of Thermionic Culture on 'The Klaxons' ( winner of the prestigious UK Mercury Award annouced today ). They generally DI the bass ( via a Little Labs IBP phase box in Cenzo's case ) as well as micing the cab and running a split on the console through the Culture Vulture for that 'attitude'.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search