The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ADDING A WEISS AD CONVERTER WORTH IT??? Audio Interfaces
Old 29th August 2007
  #1
Gear Head
 

ADDING A WEISS AD CONVERTER WORTH IT???

I am thinking of adding a 2 channel Weiss AD converter to my Lynx Aurora 16 AD. I would use my Lynx for multi-tracking (ie-drums) and use the Weiss AD for vocals, piano, guitar, etc... Is this worth the dough in doing this and will I be able to hear a difference. Also, will there be any problem with combining the 2 AD units. ( I wouldn't be using them at the same time)
Thanks for the help!
Old 29th August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

No one can answer that for you. You need to demo it for yourself.
Old 29th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
DSD_Mastering's Avatar
Unless the rest of your monitoring chain is up to snuff (room, speakers and your hearing) No.. you won't hear a difference. If you used a Weiss AD as well, you probably would. When you get up in the upper echelon, your monitoring chain takes on more importance. The Aurora is more than capable of producing excellent results. Save your money or spend it on better mics and pres.

Regards,
Bruce
Old 29th August 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSD_Mastering View Post
Unless the rest of your monitoring chain is up to snuff (room, speakers and your hearing) No.. you won't hear a difference. If you used a Weiss AD as well, you probably would. When you get up in the upper echelon, your monitoring chain takes on more importance. The Aurora is more than capable of producing excellent results. Save your money or spend it on better mics and pres.

Regards,
Bruce
This is sound advice.
Old 29th August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Yes...there's a point at which the instruments, mics and rooms become much more important than the converters. You have reached this point with the Aurora.

J
Old 29th August 2007
  #6
Weiss is usually part of a mastering setup. Were every part is important. If other parts are of the recording quality, it would be a waste of money.
Old 29th August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Andrew Kinsey's Avatar
 

Contrary to what some people think, tracking through a converter of this nature makes a huge amount of difference. I use a Lavry Gold AD for both tracking and printing the final mix, and it makes alot more of a difference when everything is tracked through it compared to just using it on the mix. My tracks have never sounded so good, and professional in sound.

That said there is no point in making an investment of this kind if the rest of chain isn't up to scratch. If you've already got the preamps and mics then the AD is the next step in achieving a better sound during tracking.

Old 30th August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
numrologst's Avatar
ah, i don't know. Using a weiss for tracking doesn't make sense financially
Old 30th August 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
GYang's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
If you've already got the preamps and mics then the AD is the next step in achieving a better sound during tracking.


That is really the last step in equipment purchases (tracking wise).
Monitoring, acoustic treatment, cables, power conditioners, air purifiers, instruments, many small items might be more important. But I agree, when everything is in place and money ready, top flight converters are something to consider seriously.
Old 11th August 2008
  #10
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Kinsey View Post
Contrary to what some people think, tracking through a converter of this nature makes a huge amount of difference. I use a Lavry Gold AD for both tracking and printing the final mix, and it makes alot more of a difference when everything is tracked through it compared to just using it on the mix. My tracks have never sounded so good, and professional in sound.

That said there is no point in making an investment of this kind if the rest of chain isn't up to scratch. If you've already got the preamps and mics then the AD is the next step in achieving a better sound during tracking.

I just bought Prism Sound Orpheus through Sound Tools in UK 3 weeks ago and still waiting for the rest 250£ and receipt.

How pro is that?

Avoid dealing with this guy Andrew Kinsey.
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
weiss2496 / Product Alerts older than 2 months
9
jt916 / Mastering forum
48
weiss2496 / Product Alerts older than 2 months
0
Matthew Murray / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
nOiz / So much gear, so little time
3

Forum Jump
Forum Jump