The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Preamp Shopping Single-Channel Preamps
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Preamp Shopping

I have decided my next potential purchase will either be Vintech 273 or sebatron vmp-2000e . Am steering towards the sebatron vmp-2000e as I have had the chance to use one and was impressed with its color and tone.

But I was wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to compare these two units.,

I Have heard mostly good reports about the Vintech 273 but have not had the opportunity to try one out. How does it compare to an original 1073? I know the 1073 sound so I have a reference point.

FWIW , I'm looking for something to work with an api3124. Tha api will be used for drums most of the time so my preference would be for something warmer less brittle but still open enough for vocals etc.
Something that has character and will complement the api.

My microphones are almost all dynamics and condensers.Should I be looking at different microphones as well? Ribbon microphones for vocals perhaps?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Both those preamps sound very different so it boils down to what kind of sound are you looking for.

The Sebatron VMP is one of my favorite preamps for its tone and how the distortion sounds so musical, it gets used alot for bass, guitars, overheads, and synths.

The Vintech sounds completely different and is based on Transformers not valves, it hasn't got the same warmth as the Sebatron but it does have a mojo of its own which many, including myself, like.

If it were me i would get both and use the Vintech on vocals and the Sebatron on alot of the instrumentation. On vocals the Sebatron does have an open / warm sound however the Vintech helps the Vocals cut through the mix a bit better but is not very open in doing so.

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I got my vintech 273 a couple weeks ago. Sounds great! Everything I hoped for. Haven't A/B it with their x73, but it sounds just as good from my memory of using the x73 regularly.

I'm not saying it's a 1073, but it excels in all the same places a 1073 would.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to use it in mono, as channel #2 was defective from the factory, and I'm waiting on my replacement unit from Sweetwater before I can send this one back.

Apparently it's possible to be very happy and very disappointed at the same time.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

not to be a pain... but... have you tried out the A-Designs Pacifica?

pad out it is clean

pad in it is more wonderful, exciting..... etc. More forward midrange, more color, more awesome-ish

just my 2c

heh
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm selling a one channel version of that preamp with a NOS mullard tube. $425. I don't know if you needed stereo, but this way you might be able to afford both preamps.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy View Post

pad out it is clean

pad in it is more wonderful, exciting..... etc. More forward midrange, more color, more awesome-ish

just my 2c

heh
Not to get off topic...I hear pad in as more scooped and thicker in the lower mids. Anyway--it's a different and useful sound altogether. I prefer pad out with an ATTY on the back end.

Brad
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
pad out it is clean
I have tried the Pacifica it's not what I am looking for. I need something to compliment the api. Something warm with a few pad settings (not just two) so you can drive it cold to hot.

Quote:
The Sebatron VMP is one of my favorite preamps for its tone and how the distortion sounds so musical, it gets used alot for bass, guitars, overheads, and synths.

The Vintech sounds completely different and is based on Transformers not valves, it hasn't got the same warmth as the Sebatron but it does have a mojo of its own which many, including myself, like.
That's what I was looking for just a comparison between the two.It Makes sense that the VMP is the warmer between the two as it is a valve preamp.

Quote:
If it were me i would get both and use the Vintech on vocals and the Sebatron on alot of the instrumentation. On vocals the Sebatron does have an open / warm sound however the Vintech helps the Vocals cut through the mix a bit better but is not very open in doing so.
I haven't got the budget for both. I need to get this soon. Recording late next month .
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Wright View Post
I have tried the Pacifica it's not what I am looking for. I need something to compliment the api. Something warm with a few pad settings (not just two) so you can drive it cold to hot.

That's what I was looking for just a comparison between the two.It Makes sense that the VMP is the warmer between the two as it is a valve preamp.

I haven't got the budget for both. I need to get this soon. Recording late next month .

I know i get bashed for this, but if you already have an api, the la-610 complements the api very well. The preamp is somewhat brighter voiced than the orininal 610 and if you put the comp off, you can use the level setting of the comp as an overall levelsetting making the preampknob a sort of attenuator, for the cleaner complevelknob.

I have used the 610 on many occasions and its great for voices that need to stick out, or for acoustic instruments.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

Just a thought call Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades and order his High Speed mic pre, Ive done the usual shootouts and for pristine real world sound zero color its a great pre. I think its like 1500 for two channels. Just remember being that it adds nothing but clear clean gain it doesnt have the usual bells and whistles ie: pads, eq cuts etc. They all degrad the signal path to some degree.
Old 29th August 2007
I haven't heard the Seb, but the Vintech is very sweet. It's very different from the API. The Vintech has the capability to be so colored that it's almost overdriven, by pushing the input knob to the top ranges of it's gain and backing off on the output knob. Although in it's normal postion it's detailed got a detailed top end with a rich midrange character.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

pacifica!
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstracker7769 View Post
Just a thought call Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades and order his High Speed mic pre, Ive done the usual shootouts and for pristine real world sound zero color its a great pre. I think its like 1500 for two channels. Just remember being that it adds nothing but clear clean gain it doesnt have the usual bells and whistles ie: pads, eq cuts etc. They all degrad the signal path to some degree.
A buddy of mine has one. It's very clean. It makes his acoustic guitar sound like his acoustic guitar. His acoustic guitar is a 1969 D-18, so it works out. If you play a 2007 ebay bought Johnson acoustic, unfortunately it'll sound like that too.

Jim's pre is transparent for sure, but be careful what you wish for.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Nut

i think the pacifica is a little over-rated myself and sometimes frustrating in the sense that you can't get a good wide range of colors from it. i've used one for vocals and it was OK but not brilliant.

i would recommend the Vintech for this or if you can afford it a Manley Dual Mono mic pre.
Both would compliment the api pre very well.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Banks View Post
i think the pacifica is a little over-rated myself and sometimes frustrating in the sense that you can't get a good wide range of colors from it. i've used one for vocals and it was OK but not brilliant.

i would recommend the Vintech for this or if you can afford it a Manley Dual Mono mic pre.
What kind of mic did you use? I found that's very key. The Gefell UM70 sounds great through the Pacifica, so does the Pearlman mic. But I don't like the sound of a U87 through it at all.

But... put a U87 through a Chandler LTD-1 and it kills. So I'd have to ask Lucas what mics he's using. If it's a U87, get the Vintech for sure.

Jasper
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

+1 on the Vmp. I use mine mostly on instruments. It's fine on vocals if that's the sound you dig. My Great River doesn't really sound better on vox, it just brings them further out front.

The Vmp is nice on the master out if kept clean. It works transients in a beautiful and thickened way. It's fantastic value for the money.
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSoHornplayer View Post
A buddy of mine has one. It's very clean. It makes his acoustic guitar sound like his acoustic guitar. His acoustic guitar is a 1969 D-18, so it works out. If you play a 2007 ebay bought Johnson acoustic, unfortunately it'll sound like that too.

Jim's pre is transparent for sure, but be careful what you wish for.
Id Rather have Truth. In fact I can change the mic to change the sound at that point. The Thing is if your doing acoustic guitar it makes a world of difference what kinda guitar u do use, of course if u want that campfire guitar sound use the ebay special by all means
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive Banks View Post

We have the same taste.
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm always raving about the Groove Tubes Vipre hereabouts- simply becasue it is one of the best sounding and most flexible preamps I've tried.

Particularly awesome with dynamics and ribbons, rise time and impendence settings give you a wide range of tone colours, often negating the need to use EQ's and compressors when tracking.

Downside is poor resale value- but if you can find one secondhand then you are set.
I think someone is selling one for $2k in the classifieds at the moment.
I've seen them go for $1800 on ebay.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search