The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Delay Use
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Nut

Delay Use

I'd like to hear about what delay units everybody has been using lately and what you have been using them on.

Matt
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Nut

Lemme clarify, what delay units AND plugins...

Matt
Old 7th November 2002
member no 666

I've been using Roland SDE-1000's for moving things around in time [like sliding a bass track back 12ms to get it to feel a bit greasier], an SDE-3000 for "vocal delays"... MXR 'Auto-Phasors' and 'Auto-Flangers' for getting things to go 'whoosh'... a Loft 450 for a little 'fattening up' here and there... and a couple other things I can't remember off the top of my head.
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

the oldies are still the godies for me!

the dmx1580 is my fave (esp. the audio trigger trick for layering up snares, it soundz well crusty) and the bd80.

i still batter my space echo and copycat for a touch of real dirt. the newer delays are far to clean and tend to whistle when you feed 'em back on themselves.

plug in wise....echo farm
Old 7th November 2002
I'm with entropy......I must get one of those AMS delays soon.
My faves are MXR Digital Delay (2U blue version) and Roland Chorus Echo.
They are all pretty grungey however.
Love the Auto Phaser BTW!
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

hey chrisso

i know one going cheap in nth. london. £700! give f junk a call.....
Old 7th November 2002
One with big hooves

I have a Korg SDD-2000 and an Effectron II for my main delays. If I need a stereo delay I usually go to either an ART SGE or a Midiverb 4. I wouldn't mind having an H3000 or a 2290 around. I'm on the lookout for an MXR rackmount flanger if anyone finds or has one is the $200-250 range. Either that or an ADA Flanger pedal. [email protected]
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

i thought i also loved the 2290 but having played with one recently, it wasn't as funky as i remembered..... as for the eventide, a great unit but still to clean for my liking.
Old 7th November 2002
There is only one

moogerfooger analog deay.
Old 7th November 2002
Lives for gear

2 entropy :

can you please explain what you mean with " the audio trigger trick " ??? any other cool delay advices ???

i have :
ams 1580 , h3000 , roland space echo , spx 90s and some stomp boxes .

best sounding delay unit i have " ams " !!!

sometimes i figure i just like some gear in fact of i have it .
mabye theres better stuff out there so dont get my rating wrong .

peace heh
Old 7th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
... I'm on the lookout for an MXR rackmount flanger if anyone finds or has one is the $200-250 range. Either that or an ADA Flanger pedal. [email protected]
Oh, the ADA flanger!! That thing is sick! I had mine stolen years ago, but I found a broken one that I'm getting fixed. The enhance knob, and the even/odd harmonics things are nuts. I can;t wait to get it back...

I second the MXR blue rack vote. I rarely use anything else. I'd sure love to find a good tape echo though. How are the re-issue echoplex things? Which of the Rolands do people like?
Old 7th November 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up
2 entropy :

can you please explain what you mean with " the audio trigger trick "
peace heh
You can lock a sound into the delay/harmoniser.
This was the first example of sampling I was ever aware of in the very early 80's.
Producers would often 'sample' a good snare and trigger it from the snare off tape.
You could also trigger sounds from one of the grey buttons. I think this is how the fast repeated vocal samples started in dance music.
The DMX certainly saw a lot of work in 80's 12" remixes.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

combination of hardware and plugins for me. 960 and sys6k and plug wise : digi delays and for the wacky stuff Time - Pitchblender.

Almost never put the delay direct on the track .... usualy aux's ... I like to comp / eq the sh*t out of delays.
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Guru

I've been using the Lexi PCM 41 a lot lately. It's very simple and useful. For wackier things I like the Eventide H3000. It's got some cool backward stereo phasing blah blah blah sounds.

:eek: rollz
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

TC D-2, TCM3000, Echo Farm.. and last but not least my trusty old Digitech TSR-24...

And mt Sony DMX has delay on every channel, so I will often mult a track and use the console delay as well, then I can really screw with it eaiser.
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Addict

2 x MF-104 MoogerFooger Analog Delays!

My plan is to wire up a CV controller to create a True stereo control of the pair.
Although it is perhaps more fun to use them in mono and send the feedbacking delay of one into the other -
and then back to the first -etc --yuktyyrollzyuktyyrollz

But I also use delays from the following:
Line 6 Echo Pro (good replicator)
TC D-Two (easy to use fast)
Lexicon PCM80 (some good ones in here)
Sony V77 (nice weird ones in here too)
Lexicon Jam Man (noisy but fun)
Waves Super-Tap
Wave Mechanics Timeblender (complex but fun)
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

as for which roland.....i've had a 201 but currently own a re-501 (sp. chorus) which for me is the one...
Old 8th November 2002
I also have a 501.
It's great because as well as the tape delay you get a classic Roland chorus and a cheesy spring reverb. It's a desktop box so the only Roland I think might be better is the rack mountable version.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

did they do the 501 in a rack?
Old 8th November 2002
It's the 5XX (something or other).
Orange and black livery.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

I like the delays in the M5000 or Lexicon M300 but they are mostly reserved for reverb. I had the Roland SDE-3000 space heater but sold sold it a few months ago to a client that offered me $850. I sort of miss it now but I still have a Sony MUR-201 for more of a grungy delay. My old trusty Roland RE-150 which was the very first piece of outboard and effects unit I ever bought back in 1979 and my all time favorite effects box, two Eventide DSP4500's which let's me create custom delay algs. to fit any effects need with dynamics, modulation, filters, ducking, taps, shifting, distortion, chorus, and even reverb all at the same time.
Old 8th November 2002
Lives for gear

Has anybody(Alpha) used the PSP 42 plugin from PSP Audioware? I could kick myself in the ass for selling my Lex pcm 42 ten years ago.

Peace
Rob
Old 8th November 2002
The one design fault in the PCM41 is that whever you turn it off it reverts to the shortest setting.
As long as you can remember what delay button you had selected you are alright. I still find it a bit annoyimg though.
Old 8th November 2002
One with big hooves

Has anyone tried the Line 6 rack modulation unit? I was wondering how the flanger is on that. That's the only real weak point in my bag of effects.
Old 8th November 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Has anyone tried the Line 6 rack modulation unit? I was wondering how the flanger is on that. That's the only real weak point in my bag of effects.
I've got a hat trick of line6 "pro" units in my rack. I think they are great - especially considering how much they cost. However, I also like my Sony DPS-M7.
Old 8th November 2002
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin
2 x MF-104 MoogerFooger Analog Delays!

My plan is to wire up a CV controller to create a True stereo control of the pair.
Although it is perhaps more fun to use them in mono and send the feedbacking delay of one into the other -
and then back to the first
i own serial number 666 and my cp251 is serial number 0001.
Old 9th November 2002
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
The one design fault in the PCM41 is that whever you turn it off it reverts to the shortest setting.
As long as you can remember what delay button you had selected you are alright. I still find it a bit annoyimg though.
That's a bit of a pain, but all the other functions are REAL pots and switches. All you have to do is remember (write down...) the time range. It's a cool, simple useful tool!
Old 10th November 2002
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
It's the 5XX (something or other).
Orange and black livery.
SRE-555 ...
Old 11th November 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

My usual suspects:

2 SDE3000s
2 PCM70s
Orville
H3000
2 SPX90s
REV7

I'd like to find a couple of PCM42s and MXRs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search