The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 550...vintage...not 'A' 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

API 550...vintage...not 'A'

From what I've read, the only difference in these and the later 550A is frequency choice.
Anyone prefer the tone of the older 550 over the reissue 550A?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Hi; I've used old ones and new ones, they all sound great but the old ones look superhardcore because they've seen all that action. At the end of the day the bottomline is that they just work the way they're supposed to. Probably the safest purchase anyone could make, ever. Cheers, adamaudio.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have an original 550. It is in really good shape. While I've never compared my original to an 550a I love the way my vintage one sounds.

I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

ERic
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have two vintage 550A1 for sale in the classifieds section for $750 each. They have one 2520 opamp vs. two in the 550A. I wonder if the 550 only has one opamp also.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

550 has two 2520 opamps, just like the 550A. They're going to sound absolutely killer, same mojo as a vintage 550A.

The 550A1 replaced one opamp with an IC chip. Never heard one, no idea on tone.

There's an old post by Fletcher covering this, but the only difference between an original 550 and an original 550A is a few extra frequencies available.
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

If it's any help, I wrote some information on the different API modular eq's.

You can read it here:

http://www.avedisaudio.com/APIeqs.html

Avedis
www.avedisaudio.com
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by avedis View Post

If it's any help, I wrote some information on the different API modular eq's.

You can read it here:

Avedis Audio: API EQs

Avedis
Avedis Audio Home
thanks avedis.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaehner View Post
550 has two 2520 opamps, just like the 550A. They're going to sound absolutely killer, same mojo as a vintage 550A.

The 550A1 replaced one opamp with an IC chip. Never heard one, no idea on tone.

There's an old post by Fletcher covering this, but the only difference between an original 550 and an original 550A is a few extra frequencies available.
On the 550 and 550a the bell of the eq increases (gets wider) as you boost or cut, but the on the 550a-1 the bell (Q) of the eq stays constant which is much less musical imo.

At 2 or 4 db of boost or cut the 550a and 550a-1 sound almost identical, but at greater eq settings they sound quite difft.

The 550a-1 was an attempt to make a cheaper version of the 550a and in many instances the a-1's aren't even marked on the outside (none are indiacted on their front panels) and you have to open them to see if the eq has two 2520 amps (orig 550a) or just one (550a-1).

Worth a lot less than a 550a the a-1 is still a good eq., but I'd prefer the 550a or even the original 550.

Mark
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys!
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrplace View Post
On the 550 and 550a the bell of the eq increases (gets wider) as you boost or cut, but the on the 550a-1 the bell (Q) of the eq stays constant which is much less musical imo.
Mark
I think you have it backwards ... the bell gets tighter not wider on the 550(a) as boost or cut is increased. ie. As Q increases the frequency band tightens.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search