The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fireface 800 compatible with protools HD2? Audio Interfaces
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Fireface 800 compatible with protools HD2?

I have heard that there is a way to run your Fireface 800 to use with protools HD2. Is this done via firewire through a Digi002 rack, or would it be some kind of direct plugin to the computer. Any information would be very helpful and would save me having to spend $3000 on a rosetta interface to use with protools.

-JFERG
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

It would have to be a total hack. The hardware won't even show up as an option in the hardware settings of Pro Tools. And if it is... you guys better keep it quiet, because if digi finds out..... they will quickly find a way to shut you down.
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

so basically there is no way to use a Fireface 800 as an interface for Protools HD2?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Basically there's no way to use anything other than a Digidesign interface, or one of the converters from Apogee, Prism etc that have a card that tricks the HD cards into thinking they are one of Digidesign's interfaces.

The only way it could work would be if you were able to use it as a standalone converter and hook it up to Pro Tools via Lightpipe...but even then, you'd still need a Digidesign interface to plug it in to.
Old 29th August 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the info so far. I have a digirack002 and was considering running ligtpipe from the FF800 through the digirack, but I am a bit concerned about the potential of downgrading the signal from going from the FF to the rack. Any suggestions other than buying an apogee interface?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Going through the rack won't affect the quality of the signal that comes out of the Fireface...
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

erm.. might be a good idea if you do some homework on what each box does and its capabilities/limitations.

quick cliff notes:

-PT needs a digidesign/M-Audio hardware. this goes for any HD (1,2,3, etc) or LE/MP.

-but this doesn't mean you have to use AD/DA on the Digi hardwares. you can run via digital (ADAT, SPDIF, AES) to other AD/DA. by going digital, theoretically there shouldn't be any degradation of signal.

-with that in mind, FF800 (or any converter) can be used for AD/DA into Digi hardware, but you still gotta connect computer to Digi hardware so you can run PT.

the only 3rd party converters that allow you to run ProTools without Digi hardware other than the PCI cards, are Apogee (Rosetta's and 16x) and Prism's. if i miss any, somebody fill in the blank.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

If you have a 002, you don't have HD2, you're running LE. I don't think there's any possible way to even interface a ff800 with an HD card.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted View Post
the only 3rd party converters that allow you to run ProTools without Digi hardware other than the PCI cards, are Apogee (Rosetta's and 16x) and Prism's. if i miss any, somebody fill in the blank.
i believe that Lynx Aurora and some Mytek units can also do this.

what about Lavry, anyone?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubrichie View Post
i believe that Lynx Aurora and some Mytek units can also do this.

what about Lavry, anyone?
cool thanks, i didn't know that. great to know.

is there a list somewhere that tells you all the 3rd party compatible units?
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

This is probably as good as it's gonna get as these companies haven't exactly done this with Digidesign's, uh, blessing...
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
This is probably as good as it's gonna get as these companies haven't exactly done this with Digidesign's, uh, blessing...
so you're saying that they are making a compatible unit without any contact/help with Digi?

so this means 2 things:

1) any company can technically create a HD core accessible interface

2) compatibility and stability is in question for the above companies

this is not surprising, actually. i know that for example, Apogee's AD16x's outputs show up as analog in PT's I/O, even tho it's stricly digital; or even any 16x's showing up as 192's. i've been wondering about why this is.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sure, theoretially any company could reverse engineer the protocol...and theoretically the stability of the other companies' connections could be questionable...but I don't believe that's an issue with the companies that have done it so far, and I don't imagine there'd be much incentive for manufacturers of lower-end pieces to do it...but I suppose that Behringer could reverse-engineer Apogee's cards and put out their own HD-compatible version of their ADA8000...not sure how much of a market there would be for that, though...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search