The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Prism ADA8 for $6800, Opinions Please? DAW Software
Old 28th August 2007
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Prism ADA8 for $6800, Opinions Please?

I never use this convereter before, it is not the current XR model? can anyone tell me the difference between this and the new model? used ADA8 for $6800 is a good deal? Please advise me to the right direction.

I will be using it for an HD system...

i hope I posted this in the right thread...
Old 28th August 2007
  #2
I PM'ed you
Old 28th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

Ada8's are outstanding converters!
Keep in mind one thing: If you're planning on upgrading your ADA8 to an Xr version in the future, bad news! Prism will charge you $3K+ for that! That was the only disappointment i got with Prism Sound. They advertised their Ada8 converters as software upgradeable to keep up with technological evolution and customizable to whatever your needs are, which to me was also the selling point because i thought even if i had to pay more at start, i'd never have to change my converters again. I was wrong or mislead !
One thing you can count on though, is their exceptional customer service.
Old 28th August 2007
  #4
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Ada8 are outstanding converters!
Keep in mind one thing: If you're planning on upgrading your ADA8 to an Xr version in the future, bad news! Prism will charge you $3K+ for that! That was the only disappointment i got with Prism Sound. They advertised their Ada8 converters as software upgradeable to keep up with technological progress and customizable to whatever your needs are, which to me was also the selling point because i thought even if i had to pay more at start, i'd never have to change my converters again. I was wrong or mislead !
One thing you can count on though, is their exceptional customer service.
comments appriciated...
I know that the ADA8 goes to 96 k and Xr goes up to 192k.. is that the only difference? Did you end up upgrade to the XR version?
used ( I dont know how old ) ADA8 for $6800 including the HD cards
or 2 months old ADA-8XR plus HD and AES card for $10000
tough choice...
Say that the seller decide to sell me the ADA8 for $6000 is that a good deal? or I better off go with the XR version?
Old 28th August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vietstylistic View Post
comments appriciated...
I know that the ADA8 goes to 96 k and Xr goes up to 192k.. is that the only difference? Did you end up upgrade to the XR version?
used ( I dont know how old ) ADA8 for $6800 including the HD cards
or 2 months old ADA-8XR plus HD and AES card for $10000
tough choice...
Say that the seller decide to sell me the ADA8 for $6000 is that a good deal? or I better off go with the XR version?
You gotta look what kind of boards it does come with at the back, and if it suits your needs.
If it has 16 analog outs but 1 Protools HD card only, you'll have to buy another optional pro tools HD card ($1200) to fully benefit the 16 Channels of Prisms within protools.
Same goes with the Firewire card.
Old 28th August 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vietstylistic View Post
comments appriciated...
I know that the ADA8 goes to 96 k and Xr goes up to 192k.. is that the only difference? Did you end up upgrade to the XR version?
I have 2x Ada8's, meaning i'd have to spend $6K to upgrade them to XR...I prefer spending $6K in a different way but understand also that even at 48K, the Ada8's gives you amazing quality...so unless working at 192K is absolutely a must for what you're doing, i wouldn't speculate too much on the "192K is the way to go hype".
Old 28th August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
I actually think the upgrade to XR is more than $$3000...unless you need the 192...the older ADA8 should do all you need.

Alex...i'm sure you have better options to spend your $$ 6 to 9 K
Old 28th August 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
Alex...i'm sure you have better options to spend your $$ 6 to 9 K
That's what i'm thinking too... heh
Old 28th August 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Alex BTW...have you found the need to do a 192 session yet ??

Last edited by MIKEHARRIS; 28th August 2007 at 06:40 PM.. Reason: spell it right the first time
Old 28th August 2007
  #10
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

Nope! That's why i'm telling the guy to be careful about the 192K speculation, a lot has to do with marketing and consumerism.
Old 28th August 2007
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

I usually record at 48k, hardly go up to 96k at all.. so i guess the ADA8 will do for me.. at least 3k just to upgrade to XR is TOO MUCHHHHHHHH ..I wonder if anyone even record music at 192....=/
Old 28th August 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

A more interesting question would be can anyone hear that deep?
I think past 96K the major concern is the quality of the converters being used, not the resolution chosen to record.
Old 28th August 2007
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
A more interesting question would be can anyone hear that deep?
im not sure about other people.. but im sure i can't...=)...
I probally will end up getting the ADA8.. and saved myself 4 grand for a used HD1 system.. ,
Old 28th August 2007
  #14
Gear Maniac
 

I used Rosetta 200 before..i read a lot of positive opinion about the Prism.. so i guess I can't go wrong..*praying*
Old 28th August 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
Sonically...your prayers will be answered.
Old 28th August 2007
  #16
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vietstylistic View Post
I never use this convereter before, it is not the current XR model? can anyone tell me the difference between this and the new model? used ADA8 for $6800 is a good deal? Please advise me to the right direction.

I will be using it for an HD system...

i hope I posted this in the right thread...
there's a gearslutz member who was selling a ADA8XR with an AES card and a PTHD card for $7,000. I'd get the newer model. you can find them on ebay from time to time.
Old 28th August 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
no-one has tested it yet, but prisms new orpheus converter is around 5K$ and prism itself stated that is has better conversion, or do i remmeber something incorrectly here?
Old 28th August 2007
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
there's a gearslutz member who was selling a ADA8XR with an AES card and a PTHD card for $7,000. I'd get the newer model. you can find them on ebay from time to time.
WOW.. that is a GREAT DEAL.. hopefully if im patient enough then i'll find a good deal here or ebay...
Old 28th August 2007
  #19
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
no-one has tested it yet, but prisms new orpheus converter is around 5K$ and prism itself stated that is has better conversion, or do i remmeber something incorrectly here?

I would love to invest in one of those.. but its only firewire I think.. no protools HD options...please correct me if im wrong....
Old 28th August 2007
  #20
Lives for gear
 
MIKEHARRIS's Avatar
the new Orpheus will have both firewire & AES
Old 28th August 2007
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
the new Orpheus will have both firewire & AES
thats mean it has to run through a digidesign interface ? ADA8 sounds like a better option..
Old 28th August 2007
  #22
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vietstylistic View Post
WOW.. that is a GREAT DEAL.. hopefully if im patient enough then i'll find a good deal here or ebay...

check the classifides. i think he still has one for sell. he had 4 he was trying to get rid of.
Old 29th August 2007
  #23
Lives for gear
 
NetworkAudio's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEHARRIS View Post
the new Orpheus will have both firewire & AES
It is more complicated than that. It seems to me it has only two channels IO of AES at this point, but they are seemingly still tweaking.
Old 30th August 2007
  #24
Lives for gear
 
alexstringer's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vietstylistic View Post
Say that the seller decide to sell me the ADA8 for $6000 is that a good deal? or I better off go with the XR version?
Even if you decide you wanna start recording at 96K, you will still be among the minority.

More than 1/2 producers/engineers still record at 44.1Khz as the poll below demonstrates you:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ou-record.html

The Ada8 is far from becoming obsolete and still has a few good years before you decide to toss it to the garbage.

To me, a converter is the most important key in a modern recording chain. My Ada8's are my most regarded units of my project studio.
Old 30th August 2007
  #25
Ted
Gear Maniac
 

Vietstylistic I sent you a PM
Old 30th August 2007
  #26
Gear Maniac
 

THANKS A LOT ALEXSTRINGER,

LEARNED A LOT FROM YOU..

CHEERS,
Vu

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Even if you decide you wanna start recording at 96K, you will still be among the minority.

More than 1/2 producers/engineers still record at 44.1Khz as the poll below demonstrates you:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-mu...ou-record.html

The Ada8 is far from becoming obsolete and still has a few good years before you decide to toss it to the garbage.

To me, a converter is the most important key in a modern recording chain. My Ada8's are my most regarded units of my project studio.
Old 30th August 2007
  #27
Ted
Gear Maniac
 

Hi Vietstylisitic,

Did you get my PM?

Thanks,
Ted.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Mr. Twitch / High end
20
NetworkAudio / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
syntheasy / So much gear, so little time
1
mac black / High end
40

Forum Jump
Forum Jump