The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
yet another "what preamp?" post (not really) 500 Series Preamps
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

yet another "what preamp?" post (not really)

Ok, I'm not asking what's best or something to that effect. I am thinking about going with a lunchbox and have decided on a Great River module to start. I'd like to add one or two more modules and I'd like them to be reasonably different. In other words, I don't want to buy two of the same thing with different brand names. I guess the easy way would be to add an API (I should be adding an OSA to fit there or getting the 512c) but where does the Chandler Germ fit in the mix? Is it a lot like the GR? Is it different than anything else?

I'll be recording bass (using a preamp's DI), mic'ing a Boogie and recording vocals only. No drums, no strings, no keys. That'll all be done elsewhere. So my question is with the GR, Germ and API would I be covering 3 bases or only 2? What would you recommend for 3 totally different options in the 500 format?

Thanks.
Old 28th August 2007
Well, I would suggest that every Module you have mentioned are intensely different in many ways.

The Great River is the first example;

The 500NV is a virtual "Swiss army knife" for recording. It has the capability to achieve a wide variety of tones/textures; It can be clean with boat loads of detail, or extremely colored and rich with harmonics, depending on the ratio of input VRS output gain.

The Germanium is a much different animal; it does has a slightly more aggressive nature when driving it hard. The Germ is fantastic on GTR and especially bass. It can really do some magic for bass D.I and vocals. I would suggest that you could get an amazingly musical vocal tone with the Germ.

The API is a much different animal as well. I have been getting amazing results with the 512 on vocals. I have found that the 512 has all the punch and girth in the world!! The 512 has a depth and a reach that can really add up to a tremendous vocal tone!

FWIW;

I would also recommend the Purple "Biz" as a worthy contender for the above modules. The Purple is a cross between the API, a GML and a John Hardy, stuffed into a little powerful module!!

peace
mixwell
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

how about the little pacifica - the P-1.

I have not heard the others A Designs EM modules but they're probabaly worth checking out. Lots of flavors.
Old 28th August 2007
people seem to like it, I personally do not like the tone,

I have found it rather small sounding.

peace
mixwell
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Mixwell View Post

peace
mixwell
Do you have the same opinion of the Pacifica?
Old 28th August 2007
I do as a matter of fact,

I find it to be a cheap sounding version of the Great River MP-2NV

Sorry if this gets under the skin of you A-designs fans.

this is only my opinion, don't take it too personally

Don't want to hurt any feelings,

peace
mixwell
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Excellent guys. And the P-1 is another one I was considering along with Shadow Hills and the new Vintage. So it sounds like all 3 of the initial modules will be fairly different. I do realize there will be quite a bit of overlap. I would use 2 at a time at the most on my amp. Then just one at a time for vocals and one for bass. My question is mostly based on the fact I'm pretty cheap. I like to buy top quality but as cheaply as I can. I guess I'm concerned because the Germ 500 module is $950! I'd really have to love it for that and I'm afraid one of these would go unused. If the GR will do what I want then the Germ would just be money I could have used for something else. Then again, I know me quite well and I know those empty slots would soon get filled. I only record my own stuff so I'd feel silly spending $3-4 and using the same module all the time. I guess it won't matter. I feel pretty silly most of the time.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

peace
mixwell
I don't own any a-designs stuff.

What's your opinion on the Mono Gama?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Little Labs Lmnopre. I've been using it mostly on vocals since I've gotten it, and it's been great. The Low Freq Resonance control is pretty fabulous. I just used the DI this morning on a bass part and it sounds stellar. Unlike most DI inputs, it has a dedicated input transformer for the DI. I've also used it on electric guitar with great results.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about this thing...

Cheers,
John
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

peace
mixwell

no doubt, adam, everyone entitled to their opinion.

it is hard to take at full face value a dealer who pans something they do not sell. I haven't followed your posts though, but most of the time when fletcher pans something (regardless of how he pans it) i tend to agree more than not, maybe 75%.

you had some very good suggestions though.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I haven't got a GreatRiver (yet!), but considering that it has "Neve-ish" roots, my guess is that the API would offer the bigger sonic contrast, compared with the Germ (which does its own version of "slightly woolly and compressed").
You can still add the germ later.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paterno View Post

Cheers,
John
I am too, John...I don't feel that I need ten different kinds of trendy preamps in order to make a record. Two will do: the LMNOPRE is one of them.
I love the sound....the features are the icing on an already sprinkled cake...first and foremost the LF resonance control, the amount of precise saturation control.
And then the DI: I used the Avalon or API DI...then, 4-5 years ago I started using the Litlle Labs DI (PCP) and never looked back. Now with the LMNOPRE DI, I'm not gonna look back for a long time now...ih has a similar great crisp tone but more control (like, how hard you drive the x-frmr, IBP)...
Best,
Raf
Old 28th August 2007
Quote:
The Little Labs Lmnopre. I've been using it mostly on vocals since I've gotten it, and it's been great. The Low Freq Resonance control is pretty fabulous. I just used the DI this morning on a bass part and it sounds stellar. Unlike most DI inputs, it has a dedicated input transformer for the DI. I've also used it on electric guitar with great results.

Cheers,
John

The LMNO pre is one of the coolest pre-amps I have ever put my hands on.

The fact that you now have complete control over the Proximity effect of your microphone, .....HUH?

I think I have died and gone to Little Labs heaven!

The LMNO PRE has a really smooth, natural texture with a really wide frequency response. When I plug a bass GTR into this thing, I mean my GOD, it's like an amp in a box! It's not enough that the lower octave comes through without ANY roll off, but the very instant that you turn on the Low Freq res, you can variably tweak the bottom end!!!

It can do some really amazing tricks for vocals. I would suggest that the LMNO PRE is an extremely versatile unit that works great with just about any microphone.

Thanks Jonathan!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

peace
mixwell

Then I guess Neve stuff must be real narrow !!!
Old 29th August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Cane View Post
I guess the easy way would be to add an API (I should be adding an OSA to fit there or getting the 512c)
Please note that there are 4 different OSA models (not just one tone or model) that sound quite a bit different, ranging from clean/airy, to midrange rich/punchy, to thick/fat. Thanks.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'm going to recommend the A Designs P1 as well. I had a Great River in my studio for a year or so and ended up selling it because I found myself only using it for bass guitar. I use the P1's and Pacifica I have on everything, however. I'm not really a Neve kind of guy I guess. My preference for preamps leans more toward the discrete opamp and steel transformer camp. The P1 is like a more euphonic and less harsh version of an API to my ears. I've never found the Great River or API to ever excel on vocals the way that the Pacifica and P1 do. They just slip right into the mix effortlessly.

All of the preamps being recommended are very nice. Anything you get is going to sound good.

Brad
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Please note that there are 4 different OSA models (not just one tone or model) that sound quite a bit different, ranging from clean/airy, to midrange rich/punchy, to thick/fat. Thanks.
Yes, and I have a trade in the works for the "original" model. I've already spoken with you about this.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

So what class would the Mono Gama be in? It has three settings, right? I think I remember reading it's API'ish?

I'm trying to set up my next lunchbox purchase, too. Right now I have 2 BAE 312a's and a Great River. I'm wondering if I'd get more out of a Mono Gama or a P1. Probably a P1.
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Cheers,
John
I agree!!!!! Ive been saying the same thing months now.

AA

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search