The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pacifica Vs BA1272 Single-Channel Preamps
Old 28th August 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Pacifica Vs BA1272

Has anyone had a chance to compare these two preamps?
I need two more channels of Pres in that price range, to use along my UA2108, TAB V78 and DAV BG1.
Can anyone describe their respective characteristics,
Do they have anything in commun with my existing Pres ?

I may be able to try them in a store here but that will not be in my studio..
They'll be used for drums, Guitars, vocals, bass, Rhodes ..
On as many sources as possible.

Thanks

Jean
Old 29th August 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
To me, the Pacifica is definitely a more modern sounding pre...bright top, not huge lows...
Old 29th August 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
To me, the Pacifica is definitely a more modern sounding pre...bright top, not huge lows...
It's been described to me as more percussive/punchy whereas the 1272 would be softer, compressing transients slightly..
When you say bright top, it doesn't mean harsh or hyped ?

I like smooth soft sound though but maybe I get that from my V78m..
Any other opinions on these pres?
Old 29th August 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
asagaai's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djanogil View Post
It's been described to me as more percussive/punchy whereas the 1272 would be softer, compressing transients slightly..
When you say bright top, it doesn't mean harsh or hyped ?

I like smooth soft sound though but maybe I get that from my V78m..
Any other opinions on these pres?
Well your description of the Pacifica is pretty spot on. With pad out is is pretty fast in transients-so it is punchy. The bottom is there-but is tight rather than broad and flabby. The top is very open-air, not dark, but it is not brittle/harsh- rather it has the detail up high but is gentle if that makes sense.

With pad in is thicker all round-but the transients are slower/low end is a bit flabbier-and you lose detail up high. Nice effect for some vocals depending on arrangements/song. Hope this helps-but do a search-shoudl be heaps of reviews.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Old 29th August 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
Well your description of the Pacifica is pretty spot on. With pad out is is pretty fast in transients-so it is punchy. The bottom is there-but is tight rather than broad and flabby. The top is very open-air, not dark, but it is not brittle/harsh- rather it has the detail up high but is gentle if that makes sense.

With pad in is thicker all round-but the transients are slower/low end is a bit flabbier-and you lose detail up high. Nice effect for some vocals depending on arrangements/song. Hope this helps-but do a search-shoudl be heaps of reviews.

GJ
Newcastle/OZ
Good info,

Thanks!
Old 29th August 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
Hey Django,

I'm in Paris right now and I have a pacifica. If you want I can drop by your place one of these days, like that you can hear it in your studio.

PM me if interested.

Take care.
Old 29th August 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandlersonic View Post
Hey Django,

I'm in Paris right now and I have a pacifica. If you want I can drop by your place one of these days, like that you can hear it in your studio.

PM me if interested.

Take care.
I PM'd you..
Top Mentioned Products
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Yetti / So much gear, so little time
106
heyman / So much gear, so little time
14
AllAboutTone / High end
48
celebritymusic / So much gear, so little time
9
sedohr / High end
34

Forum Jump
Forum Jump