The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Focusrite Red 3 on the 2-bus - good or bad? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Focusrite Red 3 on the 2-bus - good or bad?

This one goes out to the Focusrite Red 3/Blue 230 users. How is this thing on the 2 bus and do you think it´s worth the money?

It´s a VCA compressor - how does it compare to the G384 or Alan Smart C1/C2?

Thanks!
Toby
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
This one goes out to the Focusrite Red 3/Blue 230 users. How is this thing on the 2 bus and do you think it´s worth the money?

It´s a VCA compressor - how does it compare to the G384 or Alan Smart C1/C2?

Thanks!
Toby
Absolutely nothing like the Smarts or SSL.
I tried the Red 3 before getting a C2 and didn't like it. Very very transparent compression (almost boring!) so if thats what you're after then great, but It's slow to react and can't give you that drive, punch and urgency of the "SSL type" comps.
This doesn't make it a bad unit just wrong for what I wanted. Also recall is a nightmere with all the RED gear as no knobs are labled.

One more thing, I know the guys at Focusrite and the red anodized front cost an absolute fortune to make. I want my money going into the circuits not the box!

You may think from this that I think the Red 3 is rubbish, its not. It's a superbly smooth & transparent comp. It's just not for me.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I use the Red 3 all the time for 2 buss and love it. It's not right for everything and as stevetgn said, it is not easy to recall. It's not agressive but with the right type of music it adds a mojo. It's very subtle but take it away and I hear the difference. It would be a good compliment to a SSL type comp.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thnote View Post
It would be a good compliment to a SSL type comp.
Agreed
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8thnote View Post
I use the Red 3 all the time for 2 buss and love it. It's not right for everything and as stevetgn said, it is not easy to recall. It's not agressive but with the right type of music it adds a mojo. It's very subtle but take it away and I hear the difference. It would be a good compliment to a SSL type comp.
I use one of them (Red 3 or Blue 330) most of the time as well...with the key trigg inputs...often in conjunction with the SSL Quad comp...
The Red 3 is a sucker for recalls indeed...The Blue 330 is bit better for that heh...
But if you don't use the makeup gain, you only have two controls left to worry about (since thresh and ratio are stepped)...Or one if you go for the auto-release...
RR.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I used to own a Blue. x2 on what everyone else said. Suuuuper transparent...like, "is this thing on?" I think there's boxes with a bit more mojo these days.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

So does the Blue 330 use the same cirquit the Red 3 does? I guess the Blue 230 is a Red 3 with stepped controls, but the Blue 330 is even bigger - I wonder if it sounds the same.

AFAIK the design for the Red series dates back to the time when Focusrite had Rupert Neve design the ISA stuff for them, before moving on to AMEK. I wonder if the Red 3 sounds similar to the AMEK 9098CL, which was introduced a couple of years later.

Anyways, thanks a lot guys, that gives me a good idea of the thing!!
Toby
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Old 28th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

I don't think the focusrite compressors sound like the 9098 comp at all. But then again, I kind of like the Red 3, but can't use the 9098. (to get a sound I like)

I think all the FF comps are based off the 130, the 330 is hand wired I believe.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I could be wrong here, but I think the Blue had transformer balanced outputs as did the Reds originally. I'm pretty sure they are electronically balanced floating outputs now though.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
I could be wrong here, but I think the Blue had transformer balanced outputs as did the Reds originally. I'm pretty sure they are electronically balanced floating outputs now though.
yep. Transformers.

The red looks cooler though!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I used the Red 3 in combination with something like a Summit DCL200.
The Red 3 is completely transparent, the Summit has a sound of its own.

By itself... er... probably not.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Right on...actually only the original BLUE 330's had both trannies. Later models didn't have any...Don't think they were any special without the transformers...
What I like about them is that I hardly hear the compression, but I do hear the compressor...the mid forward sound...Maybe that is also because I don't push it hard...
Other differences are that the 330 is true stereo in terms of operation: single set of controls for both channels, except for 1dB in-and output level trims (4 in total). The 330 is also fully stepped for all its controls, on both comp as limiter. Also has more threshold and ratio settings.
YSMV,
RR
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

good or bad?

good. the answer is good.

you guys talk too much. thumbsup

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
you guys talk too much. thumbsup

gregoire
del
ubk
LOL That's a bit rich coming from Mr 3402 posts to dateheh

Respect
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
LOL That's a bit rich coming from Mr 3402 posts to dateheh

Respect

hence the thumbs up at the end of the sentence heh.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
hence the thumbs up at the end of the sentence heh.
gregoire
del
ubk
Clearly he missed the micro-winker in your thumb.
Attached Thumbnails
Focusrite Red 3 on the 2-bus - good or bad?-winker-thumb.gif  
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Clearly he missed the micro-winker in your thumb.
Obviously! lol heh
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobymusic View Post
AFAIK the design for the Red series dates back to the time when Focusrite had Rupert Neve design the ISA stuff for them, before moving on to AMEK. I wonder if the Red 3 sounds similar to the AMEK 9098CL, which was introduced a couple of years later.

i have both, a Red 3 and 3 Ameks 9098 (the 3 Ameks sounds each different). I have the Red on the 2Bus and the Ameks on Sub Outs.
The Red 3 is like the others sad, a clean Compressor with no Mojo Effect. By the way, very good for leveling when tracking. It makes nearly no sound, very dull but absolutely the best "leveler" for the 2Bus i ever had in my hands. The Amek is more "dirty" in my opinion. If you have the extra money, go and bye a red 3. If not go for a SSL Comp (for "color" and "mojo") for the 2bus and level clean with a plugin. Hope, it helps you...

sorry 4 my bad english.
Greetings from Berlin, Germany.
Mathias
Old 16th September 2017
Finally picked up a HW Red 3 (old one) after using the Slate and FF plugs for a long time... holy hardware... I love the HW Red 3 on mix buss.
Old 22nd October 2018
Here for the gear

Red comp on the stereo bus? Quiet good!
But not slate
YouTube

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search