The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
NYC audio auction 9/10 & 11 Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

NYC audio auction 9/10 & 11

Joseph Finn & Co. has an auction happening September 10th and 11th in New York...
SSL consoles, Neve consoles, and 20 - yes that's TWENTY ! - Studer A827 24 track recorders. Mics and outboard gear as well.
Things should go for pennies on the dollar....
Lucky for those who live around NYC!
Finn's website: Joseph Finn Co Home Page
Hit the 'detailed listing' button to see the whole list.
could be very cool if you know what you're buying!
I would think you could pick up a Studer A827 for a few thousand bucks! - new they're going for 18K from Studer LA
regards to all.... Goreski
Old 28th August 2007
jhg
Lives for gear

But none of the REALLY REALLY sweet gear from SMS though...

Yours in storage,

jhg
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

THANKS!!!!!!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

do you guys really think stuff is gonna go for that cheap. I have a feeling there will be tons of people including dealers like vk.

I don't know how cheap this stuff is gonna be.

I've got 2 shows in NY the week before, and I'd like to stay another day to pick up some stuff at that auction. But its not worth it to stay an extra day if there are gonna be people driving the auction prices up.
Old 28th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

It's been a while since I've had a good auction experience. You just never really know.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

You might get a Studer 827 for a good price, but rest assured that this auction will be VERY well attended. If you think you'll be walking out of there with Pultec for $500 you are sadly mistaken.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

^^^what he said.

Last edited by RichTone; 28th August 2007 at 04:49 PM.. Reason: Jomo summed it up.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I know the **** is going to go for real prices. VK has a pair of pultecs for $10.5k.. I'd like to get a pair, but for like $9k max.

With the studer, it's not worth me going if the 827 is gonna go for $9k
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

yeah, but... you really do *never know*. wait, actually, i do know that if you don't come your chances of getting a deal are nil.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by numrologst View Post
I know the **** is going to go for real prices. VK has a pair of pultecs for $10.5k.. I'd like to get a pair, but for like $9k max.

With the studer, it's not worth me going if the 827 is gonna go for $9k
If you want to pay $9K max, make sure you don't bid more than $7K, because at the end you'll have to add a 10% bidder premium fee + sale tax (8.25%) + you hotel & travel expenses to NYC for the week end.
If you bid online, bidder premium is 13.5% + shipping. You'll have to contract a company to pick up your goods. I've done it before, it's only worth it if you spend $20K+ in gear if, of course, you're lucky to win it at a low price. Freight companies won't lift a finger for 1 machine you bought, they will consider working with you if your bill for the service exceed $500 at least, especially in NYC.
I noticed at these auctions that people pay the same price they'd pay on ebay except, like i said, they have to add 10% + sale tax on their total. I never understood the logic of that, except may be if you spend $50K worth of gear, then you get that back on the money saved on grouped shipping.
Personally, after a few (expensive) experiences, i happen to prefer ebay over those type of auctions because you know on Ebay if the unit works or not, and you have a chance to get your money back if the item you purchased as functional doesn't work. With these auctions, you get nothing back. Once you paid, it's yours and AS IS.
Yes! There is a good point: Free coffee & Donuts for anybody present !heh
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

twenty five LA-3A's.

insane.
Old 28th August 2007
wow. that is pretty cool.

to save us lazy slutz a step here's the direct link to the list:

http://josephfinn.com/recordingstudiobrochure.htm

I like that amongst everthing else in the list there's also a pair of distressors... I wonder what they'll go for.

auction on
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

The 'pennies on the dollar' is just a way to get you in..... I don't like seeing auctions like this, it goes to show how having a big studio and all the gear in the world is largely unprofitable. Most people here should consider themslves lucky that dont have that burden
Old 28th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
yeah, but... you really do *never know*. wait, actually, i do know that if you don't come your chances of getting a deal are nil.

gregoire
del
ubk
If it weren't for online bidding! ?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If it weren't for online bidding! ?

d'oh!

23 la-3a's, don't i at least have a shot at a deal on ONE of 'em?

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Don't bid on line, the online bidders never have a chance. At least that has been my experience bidding with Joe Finn & Co. (3 times now) You really need to be there if you really want one of the pieces, however if you think ebay can be bad, wait until you get into the live bid situation. Keep those emotions in check or you'll be spending way to much money!
Old 29th August 2007
My experience with these audio auctions; most folks get all excited and then get into the shark feeding frenzy. They loose all perspective and pay lot's of money for junk, even paying premium prices for broken stuff. I still remember guys paying $600 for broken dbx 165's with busted VCA's that are not available. One guy at the Audio Effects auction in LA paid $9k for a Sony 3324 dash machine when the next guy bought the second one for $3k 2 minutes later. That was a $6000 mistake if I ever saw one. It was very amusing to see drooling audio guys loose all perspective. It was like seeing a bunch of bums at a strip club all drooling out the sides of their mouths at the strippers.

I did get a beat up Aphex 612 gate for $125.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Is this auction all of Sony Music Studios NYC on the chopping block? I heard that they were closing this summer.... some studios moving to the old Jive Records / Battery Studios building on 25th Street.

I'm a little out of the loop here in Chi-Town, but friends of mine live right by SMS and operate a studio next door to the Jive building:
SMT Studios
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Last one i did, a guy bought 5x Lexicon 300L mainframes for $1750/each but the Larcs (3 only were available) were sold separately and sold to him for $950 each. Add 10% +8.25% sale tax on it, and each 300L w/ Larc ended costing him $3300, and $2100 for each 300L mainframe without Larc, when they usually sell on Ebay for a $2700 average w/ Larc. The guy is still trying to move his 300 Mainframes on ebay for $500 less than he paid for, and hasn't found any buyers for the last 3 month.... Ouch! I hope for him that he didn't have to service any before desperately trying to get some of his money back.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goreski View Post
JI would think you could pick up a Studer A827 for a few thousand bucks! - new they're going for 18K from Studer LA
regards to all.... Goreski
I saw one in San Francisco low hours for less than half of than last year
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertone View Post
Don't bid on line, the online bidders never have a chance. At least that has been my experience bidding with Joe Finn & Co. (3 times now) You really need to be there if you really want one of the pieces, however if you think ebay can be bad, wait until you get into the live bid situation. Keep those emotions in check or you'll be spending way to much money!
I know what you mean I have seen things that are crazy ... Plus the bidders have to pay a 13% fee on top of it. A few months ago (McClear Digital auction TO) a guy bid 3K (+13%)on a Digi 192 DIGITAL I/O it retails for $2495.00 new.
I know if you want to sell off your gear and retire these are the guys to hire you'll get top dollar
Old 29th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
One guy at the Audio Effects auction in LA paid $9k for a Sony 3324 dash machine when the next guy bought the second one for $3k 2 minutes later. That was a $6000 mistake if I ever saw one. It was very amusing to see drooling audio guys loose all perspective. It was like seeing a bunch of bums at a strip club all drooling out the sides of their mouths at the strippers.

I did get a beat up Aphex 612 gate for $125.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
I was at that auction! It was ka-razy! Lots of people paid way too much for beat up gear! It does seem to be a theme with the better publicized auctions. We're getting mailers about it in TX, so yeah, a few people know about it.
Old 29th August 2007
Dan
Lives for gear

Yeah, nobody goes to auctions anymore, they're too crowded.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

I think this stuff is from Sony,... i heard about a few weeks ago on the Studer List

Most of the cherry tape machines were already spoken for then

Old 30th August 2007
Tape Op

Man, look at all those DAT machines! I'm gonna get one of those. I hear that's what Huey Lewis' "Sports" was mixed to so I need that sound...

I'll be the one driving the DAT auction up, with my head way up my ass.
Old 30th August 2007
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audionaut View Post
Is this auction all of Sony Music Studios NYC
If you look at the address of the auction... the answer would be 'yep'.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Auctions can be hit and miss. If you go there, don't expect (or try) to leave with something just because you 'have to'. Go and just see if there's something that's a decent deal. Yea, there will be a good many people there, but not everyone can sustain or needs a Studer. Some people will be buying with hopes of flipping it or whatever. Keep condition of things in mind (often unknown fully).

Sometimes after a 'big item' a few people will have already busted a good bit of their money and won't bid as much. You might get lucky on one or two things.

Only buy something if you really need and want it.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

I might go just for the vicarious slutty thrill. Of course, if I get lucky on a few channels of tube compression...
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Nut

reminder... it's next week!

Just a reminder that the auction is early next week....

there WILL be great deals on some equipment... just because the auction is so large with large quantities of gear... 20 Studer A827's, someone said 25 UREI LA3a's.... and SSL and Neve consoles too.

But make sure you know the going price for the gear and factor in the buyer's fees, and that it's all 'as-is - where is'. I've gotten great deals at auctions - and seen folks way overpay for stuff.

Still if I were near NYC, I'd be there!

I'd like to think that a whole bunch of studios could pick up an A827 cheap... and keep analog recording alive and healthy.

Goreski
Old 5th September 2007
You can get a deal, but nothing for pennies....people push to the limit they believe is worth it.....I doubt it you can get a 1073 for cheap..... maybe some stuff that is not so precious...but you never know..maybe a gear that you are looking for that is not so precious can be there and have few interest.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search