The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why I Love Viintage Gear..... Condenser Microphones
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Why I Love Viintage Gear.....

The newer and currently manufactured gear are cool, sound great, and are affordable and accesible plus sending it to a manufacturer who are still operational for repairs under warranty is a great service.

Not the case with most vintage gear. Getting someone who can fix and understand a 50 year old something is a biotch! They charge a fortune. People are just making up prices, what was once garbage is now 'that analog sound'. Good luck trying to find the broken or failed parts. I sometimes have to look for the parts myself and send it to the repair guy.

Despite this, these are the reasons I Love Vinatge Gear:

1. SOUNDS AMAZING.
2. Money in the bank
3. Romanticism
4. Certain clients appreciate and know the gear
5. Elitism
6. SOUNDS AMAZING
7. A sense of security
8. Functional art
9. My rate increases (with clients that can afford it, otherwise I bring it anyway. Don't tell the clients that can afford it)

This holds true for vintage instruments as well. Especially instruments!

Some modern gear sounds just as good or even better than a vintage piece in some cases. Technology is wonderful. But IMHO I just wanna cry when I hear a good vocalist through a U47 into a 1066 into a Ba6a and then a Eqp-1a. All my memories are played to music. Its that sound that I am so familiar with and have heard 1000 times on all my favorite music.

Not to say the good vocalist would not be equally banging through a Brauner KH edition or a Sony C800. But theres just something about old gear I identify with. I'm only 36. But all my favs have that sound that is easier to recreate with what we are calling vintage gear.

Mixing and matching old and new is the way to go. I just wanted to reaffirm my love and belief in that older sound. And with the new recording tech, it only makes that timeless sound better and retains it forever in digital.

Know what your buying....

Thanks for the time...

If Bruce Swedien is reading this, I love your work and what you have to say. heh
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hle144 View Post
...I just wanna cry when I hear a good vocalist through a U47 into a 1066 into a Ba6a and then a Eqp-1a.

it's sad but true; the old stuff really does sound better, in the magical sense. i use new stuff all the time, i even use plugs, but if money were no object i know what my racks would look like. they'd look old, real old.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 28th August 2007
member no 666

Ya know there is a lot of absolutely amazing new stuff... the problem is when people get into the new "fashion" vibes instead of what's "real". There is a lot of fashion crap on the market where they went out of their way more to give it funky cosmetics than to put genuinely excellent audio inside... then people bitch that the new stuff ain't as good as the old stuff.

In many ways, I beg to differ... but as always, YMMV.

Peace.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

i've gotta agree with fletcher on this one.

There are boatloads of new gear that really kicks ass.

There are obviously some vintage gear that just haven't been able to be replaced. But there are alot of great new designs and there are alot of great reissues or remakes out there
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

My friend and I were asked to speak on the forum about vintage gear at Tape Op a few years back in New Orleans. I lecture and preach daily at the studio to the interns and assistants, so I passed. I went to see my friend speak and Fletcher was on that panel.

He was right on the button about most things vintage. We all have a few things to learn from him.

New gear rocks. Old gear rocks. Good taste rocks.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

The old gear just gives instant satisfaction so you can move on with working on the music/art some new gear is also worthwhile the Tube Tech mic pre is amazing along with the C12 VR microphone but as far as multitrack recorders go, tape machines can't be beaten sonically especially the 3M and Ampex versions i have heard the digital Otari Radar and although it was closer than most digital ive heard it still didn't match the 3M 24 track sound not even closely.
The best of both worlds is good still sometimes there can be room for cold/harsh flat and tinny sounds amongst all that warm & rich analogue stuff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search