The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please recommend a pair of monitors in the $1-2K (US) range. Studio Monitors
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

Please recommend a pair of monitors in the $1-2K (US) range.

Hi,

I am looking for Monitors for a high end home stereo. I want accuracy and speed. I don't want a soft, "hi-fi" sound. I listen to everything, but very little hippop, usually an instrument, in other words, whether is is Bob Marley or yo-yo Ma or the Gypsy Kings. I already have good front-end (turntable and digital) and preamplifier gear. I just need to improve my speakers. I even have a good amplifier so the monitors could be passive. I only have the opportunity to hear Dynaudios where I live, and only the BM5a. I liked them pretty well as far as I could tell with the MP3s that the store had on the Mac. I am hoping that you guys will recommend some good gear for me to check out. I could go to Los Angeles to hear it, if need be.

This system will be in my home, a 2200 square foot home with the usual doors, bedrooms, etc.... So I think that the bass will get sucked away by the sheer size of the place and the fact that it is not sealed well within or from the outside.

Because of reviews and forum threads, I have been considering Adam A7's and a sub, Dynaudio BM5a with a sub or similarly sized Focals Vs. going with slightly larger Adams, Dynaudios or Focals and bypassing the sub, such as P11a or P22a, or BM6a MKII.
I could go up to $2500 US if there is really something in that range that kicks the **** out of everything below that price point. I have never had a sub before but I would welcome a sub with some of the smaller units that I listed above (may even benefit larger monitors too).

Please chime in here! Just blurt out... I really want advice. So far, I have read that many people like Adams, Dynaudios and Focals.

Thanks,

B.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

To me the Focals are just amazing. I own a pair of Focal "Solo6 Be" monitors and couldn't be happier. I tested these up against ADAM's, Genelecs and Dynaudios in my studio for a week and it was a very easy pick! The Focals are a different league! They stood out as being clearer, more 3D, extended yet controlled low-end, smooth silky top, but also the nasty mid-range is present which make you work harder! - a perfect mixing monitor IMO.

The freq range is 40Hz-40kHz !! - no sub needed (unless you do alot of film stuff).
check it out:

Products : Solo6 Be Product overview. Focal - Professional Division

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search