The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The A-Range at Cherokee Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

The A-Range at Cherokee

I did not see any thread for this so I thought Id ask...I saw this was for sale(not that I can afford it).Does anyone know the story behind this desk?.I recorded on this a long time ago in my band and it was very...wow...I've heard various stories like.... this was a custom desk.... that was a rebuild or a clone using A-range tranies ..etc.Is there anyone who really knows about it?

Thanks a quarter million!

Curtis

Legendary Custom Trident A-range console - Pro Audio GEAR NEVE SSL

Last edited by carlheinz; 28th August 2007 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: had to ad the link
Old 28th August 2007
member no 666

I don't know about the specific desk that is for sale... but I do know that Cherokee built several consoles from A-Range plans [and think they may have had a Trident as well... but can't say for sure].
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

There are a couple of different threads for this.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

i think i'd throw my back out if i had to reach across this all day everyday.thats one deep console.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Hombre View Post
i think i'd throw my back out if i had to reach across this all day everyday.thats one deep console.
Yeah... but with that console, some great rooms, some decent business sense, and a location in a major recording city.... you could afford the chiropractor.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

The A Range is revered by many as the best sounding console ever made.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypticglobe View Post
Yeah... but with that console, some great rooms, some decent business sense, and a location in a major recording city.... you could afford the chiropractor.
not these days
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I was just there Friday night. The console is still there.

They have some major plans coming up, though I'm certain they are keeping the console.

A fellow GearSlut works there and can probably offer more insight about the console.

You could PM him. His screen name is : squeeks555
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

[QUOTE=picksail;1464963]I was just there Friday night. The console is still there.

They have some major plans coming up, though I'm certain they are keeping the console.

I'm wouldn"t be so sure of that?!?!

http://losangeles.***************/lac/msg/407486277.html
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

WoW

Listed yesterday for 250.000

nice desk, i hope it goes to a good home, one with a couple 2" machines ....... if they sell it

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevep View Post

nice desk, i hope it goes to a good home, one with a couple 2" machines ....... if they sell it

This desk is a part of music history. It's preservation is important. I too hope that someone will give it a fine and caring home.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

I stand corrected.

I actually didn't inquire about the console, but understood they were making some major moves. I just didn't know they were of this magnitude.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

There has been an ad in the Chicago Craigslist with a pic of that console and two Otari Tape Machines, saying they are selling a lot of gear. I asked if they could send me a list (I m more interested in comps and verbs). I got an e-mail right back with a price on several high end verbss (EMTs) which were too rich fro my blood. He said he would also get back to me when they inventory the rest of the gear and decide which way to proceed.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

If I understand correctly they have 2 consoles and are selling one.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
The A Range is revered by many as the best sounding console ever made.
For a very good reason
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
not these days

Yeah... you are right. These days it requires a great personality, and the ability to create a "vibe" as well. But it really can be done. Lot's of studios here in town doing it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search