The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U67-ish (but new) mics Condenser Microphones
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

U67-ish (but new) mics

Hi,

I worked with and love the sound of U67s but don´t want to deal with vintage mics for my studio. Which mics still in production are worth checking out to get as close to that sound as possible?

Thanks for suggestions where to look (and listen)!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

The Mojave MA-200 is billed as u67-ish. Pretty nice, and is a great performer at a relatively low price point, around $1k ea. It's not a be-all end all mic, but definitely an excellent compliment to most lockers.

A lot of folks in the high-end section might say otherwise, but you have to take a lot of things with a grain of salt around here. It rarely sounds terrible on a singer, and does overheads and drum rooms quite well. Basically behaves like a 67 in that regard. I wouldn't say it sounds exactly like a u67, but it works in the same places you'd reach for a 67, and does so in a similar way.

Korby makes a U67 capsule that is supposed to be quite nice. Haven't heard it yet myself outside online shootouts, but the high-enders seem to rave about it.

I believe there's a shootout around here that compares all 3 (mojave, korby, original).

My favorite Elam-a-like is Soundelux's Elux 251, so if they're making one, I'm inclined to believe it'll be nice, if not strictly accurate.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Soundelux U99 is a pretty good 67-style mic.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudHudson View Post
Soundelux U99 is a pretty good 67-style mic.

Owned a U99 for 4 years. Preferred it by far to the E47 I bought at the same time, in fact it became my main go to vocal mic over that time. I found it to be quite true to the source. It sounded absolutely nothing like the U67 I have now which is absolutely mint and sounds gorgeous. The U99 was airy and had a solid low end, the U67 has the smooth mids I've heard on every one of my favourite records. I'm not sorry I sold my U99, it was a great mic but nowhere near as good as the U67.

YMMV,
Ruairi
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Agreed the 67s sound smoother in the mids, which is why I used them on OHs (into a Quad Eight Coronado) on my solo record. I prefer the U99 to the 67 on my own voice, but that's another thread. Whatever David Bock did to evolve the U95S (which is a great mic that I've owned for nine years) into the U99 was a great move sonically, and it sounded closer to a 67 than to the 47 from which the U95S was inspired.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trp View Post
Hi,

I worked with and love the sound of U67s but don´t want to deal with vintage mics for my studio. Which mics still in production are worth checking out to get as close to that sound as possible?

If it does not have to be a tube mic, check out the Violet Amethyst Vintage...

John
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

May I say Pearlman TM-2?
That's what they say... I want to try it.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi,

Soundelux has a nice one. i forget the model number. check their web site.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Why don't you want a vintage model? are you afraid it's going to go on a session. I would get a vintage one and have Klaus Heyne or Bill Bradley go over it. Nothing beats the real thing. If you can consider that option.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
Why don't you want a vintage model? are you afraid it's going to go on a session. I would get a vintage one and have Klaus Heyne or Bill Bradley go over it. Nothing beats the real thing. If you can consider that option.
Thats exactly what I say..and with Klause your mic will sound rightstike
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
Thats exactly what I say..and with Klause your mic will sound rightstike
Just ask Al Schmitt. LOL. He said Klaus Fixed his U67 and it's been one of the Better U67s he's come across. He uses it on Dianna Krall. You can check this out in the interviews section of the forum under Al Schmitt.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
May I say Pearlman TM-2?
Yep ! thumbsup i have two and they do the 67ish thing really well

Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Try Korby U67, great company and U67 is probably their best sounding mic.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
May I say Pearlman TM-2?
If you can hold on a little, Pearlman is about to release the limited edition Pearlman LE which will be very worth checking out. Its got a U67 capsule. I got to demo one for a couple days and its just gorgeous. I did not have a chance to demo it against a U67, but I did compare it to quite a few other mics and just loved it. Its got a nice extended top, but the low end is the real stand out. Big and warm without ever overpowering the top.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for Jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
If you can hold on a little, Pearlman is about to release the limited edition Pearlman LE which will be very worth checking out. Its got a U67 capsule. I got to demo one for a couple days and its just gorgeous. I did not have a chance to demo it against a U67, but I did compare it to quite a few other mics and just loved it. Its got a nice extended top, but the low end is the real stand out. Big and warm without ever overpowering the top.
I see a set of those with my name on um

Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

count me among those who find the mids of the 67 to be the real magic, and the place where most modern mics fall short. i will say, though, that the mids on the peluso p12 are pretty cool in a very vintage way, not at all like a 67 but they got a magic nonetheless.

mids on an 84 are hard to beat, too.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by walth View Post
Yes, reliability is an issue. And getting a U67 sending it over to the states and having it serviced will be some serious money... maybe that will be the last solution for me but if there are ways to stay below 5k I want to at least try them out first.

Who would be a good tech in Europe to send vintage mics to for an overhoul? Maybe Neumann themselves?

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
count me among those who find the mids of the 67 to be the real magic, and the place where most modern mics fall short. i will say, though, that the mids on the peluso p12 are pretty cool in a very vintage way, not at all like a 67 but they got a magic nonetheless.

mids on an 84 are hard to beat, too.

gregoire
del
ubk
The mids are what I like about the U67s, too. I tried the P12 but wasn´t too crazy about it.

Which 84 are you talking about? AEA R84? The only ribbons I tried are by Royer and Beyer. And while the mids are good, they never give me the size of sound image I want.

Thanks!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who would be a good tech in Europe to send vintage mics to for an overhoul?
www.hestudiotechnik.de
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

the korby is a great mic, but it's worth mentioning that the 67 head is normally not an exact replica of a standard u67 .
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well the 67 is one of those mics that nothing really sounds like eh?

But I'm surprised that no one mentioned the U87. Since nothing really sounds like a 67, I would say in that respect an 87 would be the closest. Same capsule, same grill - that Neumann low mid thang.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago here.

We tested a number of the mics that were suggested (plus some that weren't), and we're really really liking the Beyer Dynamic MC840, using the wide cardiod setting and the 80Hz rolloff.

On this singer's voice (smooth R&B baritone) it had a very similar 'magic' as the U67 did. Ever so slightly less present than the Neumann, and with a hair more 'body'.

Try it...
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubilay View Post

We tested a number of the mics that were suggested (plus some that weren't), and we're really really liking the Beyer Dynamic MC840, using the wide cardiod setting and the 80Hz rolloff.

On this singer's voice (smooth R&B baritone) it had a very similar 'magic' as the U67 did. Ever so slightly less present than the Neumann, and with a hair more 'body'.

Try it...
I bought an 840 based on that thread and previous experience with the 740 (old model). I had used the 740 and liked it better than alot of other higher end mics during a shoot out on my voice. Didn't want to pick up the 840 without hearing it, but Bob's comment pushed me over the edge. I'm very pleased with it. It's not as detailed as a u67 or the korby u67, but its smooth and I can stick a compressor behind it without the highs going out of control like with alot of the newer mics out now.

Not the best, but the best I've found for under 2000.
Mike
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubilay View Post

Try it...
I´ll give it a try! A very inexpensive choice at that...

What else from your thread did you try out? Were Brauner VMA/VMX and Telefunken M16 among those?

Thanks!
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMitchell View Post
Not the best, but the best I've found for under 2000.
Mike
In Germany the Beyerdynamic MC840 costs just EUR 950 + tax, so that would be a very inexpensive option.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Which 84 are you talking about? AEA R84?

sorry, yes, r84. huge sound, lovely mids.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

What Ronan said.

I've got an LE in my studio at the moment and it's killer. Dave is building some very serious mics and his LE is another giant IMHO. I can see Pearlman mics all over my future projects as my TM-1 is already a main stay of almost every session.

And then there's the "Church"!!!!

GM
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsqd View Post
What Ronan said.

I've got an LE in my studio at the moment and it's killer. Dave is building some very serious mics and his LE is another giant IMHO. I can see Pearlman mics all over my future projects as my TM-1 is already a main stay of almost every session.

And then there's the "Church"!!!!

GM
On his site there´s only info on the TM1. What´s the LE like and is there some more info on it to be found?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes, reliability is an issue. And getting a U67 sending it over to the states and having it serviced will be some serious money... maybe that will be the last solution for me but if there are ways to stay below 5k I want to at least try them out first.

Who would be a good tech in Europe to send vintage mics to for an overhoul? Maybe Neumann themselves?
Thanks!

No need to get one from the U.S. if you´re lucky
......the ONE and ONLY person on this planet I´d buy a vintage Neumann from or have it serviced by is from berlin:

Andreas Grosser -> Untitled Document

A fellow gearslut recently got an amazing U47 from him.
Cheers Tom
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Andreas Grosser in Berlin. he is the only one which i'll let touching my vintage mics.
he is also where the american guys learn the tricks heh
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
I´ll give it a try! A very inexpensive choice at that...

What else from your thread did you try out? Were Brauner VMA/VMX and Telefunken M16 among those?

Thanks!
We did try the Telefunken M16 and it didn't really work for this particular job. Of all the mics mentioned in that thread, the only ones I think we didn't try are the Brauner and the Korby. Don't think we will at this point, either, since the 840 sounds really nice. Time to actually make some music...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search