The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U67-ish (but new) mics Condenser Microphones
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcm View Post
If you can hold on a little, Pearlman is about to release the limited edition Pearlman LE which will be very worth checking out. Its got a U67 capsule. I got to demo one for a couple days and its just gorgeous. I did not have a chance to demo it against a U67, but I did compare it to quite a few other mics and just loved it. Its got a nice extended top, but the low end is the real stand out. Big and warm without ever overpowering the top.
Anyone have a price?
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

Haven't got a price from Dave as yet but Ronan is about spot on with his analysis. It's clearly a 67 and does indeed appear to have a very smooth extended top over the other mics I've tested it with thus far. If anything I'd say it was slightly "leaner" in the lower mids with a wonderfully solid bass end which gives the impression of further transparency. Brilliant mic and coupled with a more slightly forward preamp, like the Pacifica, it simply sits exactly where you'd like and expect it to.

Lots more testing to do though!

I haven't had a chance to compare it alongside the TM-2 or Church mics yet but I hope to do so over the next few days.

All in all another great mic from Dave that I'm going to have to add to the arsenal.

GM
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsqd View Post
Haven't got a price from Dave as yet but Ronan is about spot on with his analysis. It's clearly a 67 and does indeed appear to have a very smooth extended top over the other mics I've tested it with thus far. If anything I'd say it was slightly "leaner" in the lower mids with a wonderfully solid bass end which gives the impression of further transparency. Brilliant mic and coupled with a more slightly forward preamp, like the Pacifica, it simply sits exactly where you'd like and expect it to.

Lots more testing to do though!

I haven't had a chance to compare it alongside the TM-2 or Church mics yet but I hope to do so over the next few days.

All in all another great mic from Dave that I'm going to have to add to the arsenal.

GM
Have anyone tried that LE against the TM-1.
Since I have a TM-1...I don't want to be repete it.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

The TM-2 was a treat to sing into; I demoed all three of Dave's mics during SXSW and, while the Church replica was most complementary on my voice, I definitely agree with gsqd's description. This a good reminder to get one to have Dave send a couple out; I bet they kill on OHs.
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I agree with the post by KATS. The closest thing to a U67 are the two other mics that Neumann made with the same capsule and grill, which were designed to replace the U67, the U77 and the U87. Nothing sounds exactly like a tube U67 but the solid state U77 and U87 both have much of the same unique mid range vocal smoothness which is the primary characteristic of the U67. I'm sure most of the mics mentioned here by other people are great in their own ways, but something with the same capsule and grille by the same manufacturer should be closer to the real thing than someone else's mic where the capsule, the amplifier, and the head grill are totally different.

The somewhat rare U77 is an especially nice microphone if you ever have the pleasure of using one. It was the first replacement for the U67 and I just adore the one I have. Its got much of the same smooth and balanced mid range character as a 67 but is more sensitive (by Neumann's own specs) and open sounding. My 2 U87 mics sound slightly "cloudy" compared to my U77 but the U87 still has much of the same special mid range smoothness of a U67 and is the closest commonly available substitute.

J. Mike Perkins
jmikeperkins.com myspace.com/jmikeperkins
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Looks like we'll test the Pearlman LE, too. So the LE may yet kick out the Beyer Dynamic MC840 as U67 replacer....

Fun.

BTW, to my ears the U87 sounded quite different from the U67. We did try it, but on this particular singer it ended up not really being a contender to replace the 67.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
Sorry I should have clarified that one of the mics alongside the LE was a TM-1 with the Tamura trans and EF15 tube. The above description is the LE compared to this TM-1.

GM
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomnio View Post
I tested them side by side (tested with a Pacifica). I found the high end of both mics to have similar flavor, but the low end was very different. The LE had a bigger low end. I loved it on my voice because my voice can be a little thin and nasally, so it really beefed up my voice in a nice way. But what made me really like the mic was that fact that I was doing a shoot out with another singer with a huge natural low end in his voice and it sounded great on him. We tried out about 10 mics and the LE was in the top two.

I would not say one was better than the other. On a bunch of different sources it was about 50/50 between the TM-1 and the LE, but I think personally the LE is my favorite Pearlman mic so far (I have not heard the Church mic).
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Has anybody heard the TM-2 next to the LE? I'm jonesing for an upgrade of one of these.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search