The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New 2bus EQ...Manley Stereo Pultec? Equalisers (HW)
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

New 2bus EQ...Manley Stereo Pultec?

'Sup guys,

I have a Massive Passive (which I love), and I'm looking for another EQ. I think I like the MP as buss insert a little more than on the 2bus/master.

I often use the UAD Pultec on my master bus...it has a nice bottom end beef it adds, and a wonderful presence. I'm looking for something like that...but better (if there is something like that). I'm not looking for overly colored and cruncy or saturated, just something I can add a nice mastering style bump at the top and bottom.

Has anyone used the Manley Stereo Pultec?

I've done searches on it, and the thread always degrades into people dissing Manley because it doesn't sound like an original Pultec. So let's not get too deep into that again.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

API 5500.. live the dream
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

I use Manley Pultecs as often as I have access to them on drums, and have used them instead of real Pultecs on the 2-bus. As most people would say, it's a similar flavor but not exactly "there" yet. Worked for me though, these days I use Pultecs or Pultec clones on the 2-bus when I want color, and the 8200 on it when I don't. I say, try out the Manley's, and go for it! If you find you don't need their color on a certain mix, I GUARANTEE you there'll be a spot waiting for them on the drums.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsanguis View Post
I use Manley Pultecs as often as I have access to them on drums, and have used them instead of real Pultecs on the 2-bus. As most people would say, it's a similar flavor but not exactly "there" yet. Worked for me though, these days I use Pultecs or Pultec clones on the 2-bus when I want color, and the 8200 on it when I don't. I say, try out the Manley's, and go for it! If you find you don't need their color on a certain mix, I GUARANTEE you there'll be a spot waiting for them on the drums.
Do you have a favorite Pultec clone that you use?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
The best Pultec clone is the EQH2heh

JK
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
+5500.

btw i have a mono Manley Pultec and it's not my favourite thing in the world.
i know there are more 'accurate' Pultec clones out there... i would check out the Mercury Recording Equipment one.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

the summit eqp 200 & 200a are pretty hip for a 'pultec-ish' vibe. don't like the 200b revision all that much. api 550's have great crunch. hard to beat those for rocky pop stuff. easy to reset too!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd go for the Manley but without the tubes and transformers. This tends to mush the low end compared to a real Pultec (not tube based). The new dual 5500 API would be your best bet, as you can choose 1/2dB steps. Really great on just about anything, especially bass and vocals.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I'd go for the Manley but without the tubes and transformers. This tends to mush the low end compared to a real Pultec (not tube based).
I don't understand what you mean here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by contempo View Post
the summit eqp 200 & 200a are pretty hip for a 'pultec-ish' vibe. don't like the 200b revision all that much. api 550's have great crunch. hard to beat those for rocky pop stuff. easy to reset too!
Hmm. What changed from A to B?
Old 28th August 2007
When I had my Voxboxs I would use the 3 band EQ on my master bus for exactly what you are describing here (just a little air in the top and a bit of beef in the bottom, with some low mids pulled out). After some listening tests, I ended up preferring the transformerless output, it sounded a bit tighter in the lows, but still had that VERY sweet 'euphonic' color in the mids and highs. I can't remember if the Massive Passive or the stereo Manley Pultec has this option, but if they do, try it I think you'll get the best of both worlds.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
...I ended up preferring the transformerless output
Thanks Nathan...very interesting. I've never though of running the MP that way for a different color.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have always enjoyed working with the Manley Pultecs, but my current favorite for doing what you are talking about is the A Designs EM-PEQ. The recommendations for the 5500 are great to, they are very flexible and sound killer. Also the API has detents which is nice for mastering or two bus applications. For mojo low end, I think the EM-PEQ trumps them all.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I like a lot of the clones, but each for a different purpose. The Tubetech one is pretty good, but I'm not a fan of it on bass, something which I LOVE real Pultecs on. It can sometimes work on vocals and kick, but thats about it. The Amtec has a lot of cool mojo, and is often awesome on vocals, and definitely better on bass. Not a huge fan of it on drums, though. If I don't have real Pultecs for drums, I use the Manleys. I tried the Summit, and it worked fairly well for vocals, but not much else. When it comes down to it, however, there's not much better than a pair of real Pultecs on the 2-bus.

Just looked into the Mercury site . . . sounds promising.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

i use summit audio pultec clone on 2-bus

awesome!

boost 10 kHz, and
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben F View Post
I'd go for the Manley but without the tubes and transformers. This tends to mush the low end compared to a real Pultec (not tube based).
I don't have any troubles with the Manleys being mushy (well, compared to an 8200 they are). Of course they're not Pullies, but then again, what is? I'm sometimes overwhelmed with sentiments of utter greed, being convinced I need more Pultecs. On the other side I could also go on holiday, enjoy the wonders of the world and enjoy the most mouthwatering dishes. I guess I'm not a true gearslut.

Quote:
The new dual 5500 API would be your best bet, as you can choose 1/2dB steps. Really great on just about anything, especially bass and vocals.
I love the 550's, but for recording or mixing I've never felt the need for 1/2dB steps...Of course it's way cool to be able to use the 5500 for mastering, but for now I'm still happy as a clam with the regular 550's.

Urhh...I just notice the original poster IS looking for some 'mastering-style' eq...Maybe a 5500?heh
Maybe not the Manley Pultecs then...The ones I have do not match that well from left to right...at least not within 1 or 2 dB...
YSMV,
RR
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Another big for the 5500!! This thing has made a huge difference for me, and litterally saved my ass one project I recently had to mix that I thought might well be un-redeemable (way too dark).

It's just great to have the two eq's for tracking, and then again for the 2-bus for mix.

Just amazing. To me, new API pre's don't quite have the magic that the vintage ones did, but the EQ's are still just stunning. 5500 with the variable steps is a must have in my book.
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Maybe you should check out the Chandler Curve Bender...
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

It seems I'd be an idiot to NOT try the API 5500's. Even though I see API and I think, "Oh that's only for rock." Am I off the mark?

The Chandler Curve Bender looks pretty bad-ass...however is it a one trick pony? A 20-foot high steroid raging pony?

Is anyone a big fan of Avalon 2055, or is that old news?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It seems I'd be an idiot to NOT try the API 5500's. Even though I see API and I think, "Oh that's only for rock." Am I off the mark?

The Chandler Curve Bender looks pretty bad-ass...however is it a one trick pony? A 20-foot high steroid raging pony?

Is anyone a big fan of Avalon 2055, or is that old news?
The Curve Bender is kick ass!!! I have one and a massive passive,IBIS,tone controls etc..the Curve Bender is not a one trick pony its great for tracking and a mix. anything you run through is will sound professional on the other side and huge and fat..etc its like riding a black stallion "you always have to pull back on the reigns" or it wants to go! Avalon is old news i hate what that thing does..the pillow thing, puts me to sleep
Attached Thumbnails
New 2bus EQ...Manley Stereo Pultec?-im001135.jpg  
Old 29th August 2007
I have tried the Manley Pultec's and like them. However I must say I like the extended flexiblity of the Langevin (Manely's non tube gear) Mini Massive more. Not only do you get more bands to work with, but you have the option of no transformer, the transformer on, and more of a gritty sound as well. I know Fletcher likes it too.

Check out the review on the Mini. http://manleylabs.com/reviews/EQ_MiniMassive_Review.pdf
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
The Curve Bender is kick ass!!! I have one and a massive passive,IBIS,tone controls etc..the Curve Bender is not a one trick pony its great for tracking and a mix. anything you run through is will sound professional on the other side and huge and fat..etc its like riding a black stallion "you always have to pull back on the reigns" or it wants to go! Avalon is old news i hate what that thing does..the pillow thing, puts me to sleep
Nice gear. I bet that varimu and especially that Ibis get hot enough to cook grilled cheese on after a couple of hours . Do you have a fan in back or something?
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Chandler Curve Bender looks pretty bad-ass...however is it a one trick pony?
Of course it is a one trick pony. It is an EQ. That's it's trick.

A very musical and effective EQ.
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
Nice gear. I bet that varimu and especially that Ibis get hot enough to cook grilled cheese on after a couple of hours . Do you have a fan in back or something?

of course i have fans..i dont use them all at the same time either.they dont get hot...the mixdream is another story..the transformer in that thing gets really hothave to leave a space despite the fans
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Bucci View Post
I have tried the Manley Pultec's and like them. However I must say I like the extended flexiblity of the Langevin (Manely's non tube gear) Mini Massive more. Not only do you get more bands to work with, but you have the option of no transformer, the transformer on, and more of a gritty sound as well. I know Fletcher likes it too.

Check out the review on the Mini. http://manleylabs.com/reviews/EQ_MiniMassive_Review.pdf
Yeah I'd go the Mini Massive or an API on the mix buss, both good choices.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
totally

it rawlks
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox View Post
totally

it rawlks
heh
Old 14th November 2018
I think the Manley Pultec EQ deserves a little more attention. It's not trying to replicate the original design but to provide its own unique personality that is really nice..
Old 14th November 2018
Lives for gear

It only took 11 years, but I’m glad we’re finally coming to a conclusion.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search