The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Emm Labs-Lynx-Prism-Crane Song Modular Synthesizers
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

Emm Labs-Lynx-Prism-Crane Song

Ok...Obviously an EMM Labs converter is by far the best...but is it better to have a great mic and preamp w/ say a lynx converter, or a fabulous AD converter? Also, what does everyone think of the AVOCET as a DA and talkback control? As far as impressing clients...is it better to have an impressive control surface (Pro Control, Control 24) or have great AD, mics, and pres instead. Sorry if this is a little ignorant question...just trying to do things right!
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Great mic and preamp are more important. The converter just converts what's before it in the chain, i.e. if you put crap into a great converter it will convert crap.

Great converters are nice, but make sure everything else in the chain is up to scratch first.

BTW there will be a range of opinions on whether EMM make the best converters!

Clients will be impressed most by the sonic quality of the work you produce. Make sure that's right first, then focus on the bull**** aspect second. If you want a control surface, get one that works best for YOU, not the one you think your clients think looks nicest.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfoote8 View Post
Also, what does everyone think of the AVOCET as a DA and talkback control?

As far as impressing clients...is it better to have an impressive control surface (Pro Control, Control 24) or have great AD, mics, and pres instead.

Avocet (newer revision) has excellent DAC. Actually when I tried it I never looked back to use another DAC for monitoring purpose. All in all Avocet is great, very useful piece in studio.

Pro Control is not impressive in my book (as well as Control 24), but it work on clients. Earlier, I used to put couple of pro Controls with extensions and some other controllers side by side so with many LEDs and moving faders (although using just one) it looked as space shuttle control board in dark. It impressed (younger) people many time.
Much costlier pres and specially mics are more important for job, but in many cases impress much less than expected.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

While it is important to have good conversion, it is the area of the least sonic improvement for the money. Get a kick-a$s mic and preamp collection before you even think of conversion.

These days, even the crappy conversion is still pretty decent. Heck, I'm doing classical music out here (with some very high-end, descriminating clients) and until recently I was using Lynx, Ramsa, and Digi002 converters. I finally have upgraded with some Mytek and Lavry converters, but my clients never once complained about the conversion. They do complain, though (and quite loudly), when the mics or preamps aren't the right ones for the job.

--Ben
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

So in your opinion Mytek and Lavry are a better choice over Lynx???
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

I haven't shot those out versus a Lynx Aurora. Compared to the Lynx 2 that I had, yes, they absolutely are better. The bits that have heard of the Aurora are very impressive. If I blew my wad on Mics and Pres, and I still needed converters, I'd get the Aurora without thinking twice. The Mytek and Lavry converters are going to cost you double what the Lynx will.

I probably would have gotten the Aurora here had I not gotten great deals on the Lavry and Myteks.

-Ben

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search