The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hedd Processing/clipping
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Hedd Processing/clipping

Hello,
3 questions about hedd:

- usually where do you use its processing at the beginning or at the end of the chain (in tracking, mixing and mastering?

- Some advices/tricks about processing (impostation of triode, pentode and tape)?

- And about input level some advice? Do you avoid red clips? Difference between clipping distortion between digital and analog?

Thank you!!
Old 27th August 2007
HEDD process tricks

You really want to avoid going into the RED at any stage. That is the BAD kind of distortion!

I have found that when the HEDD is my main 2-buss A/D D/A I can experiment with which stage gets the process, the A/D side, or the D/A side.

This will of course be only when my program material is coming from the DAW into the HEDD digitaly and then from the HEDD's analog outputs to a stereo compressor, then BACK to the HEDD to re-record the mix in the digital realm with the process.

Depending on what outboard gear you are using, play around with which side gets the processing, the difference is subtle but, WOW! thats all I have to say.

peace
mixwell
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

you can hit the red on the hedd but just bounce off it. if you know what I mean.
you can clearly hear the digital clip...it all depends on how your using the hedd.
I use mine in mastering and I try to keep the levels up as high as I can..at the same time I don't play the loudness war
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Hello,
3 questions about hedd:

- usually where do you use its processing at the beginning or at the end of the chain (in tracking, mixing and mastering?

- Some advices/tricks about processing (impostation of triode, pentode and tape)?

- And about input level some advice? Do you avoid red clips? Difference between clipping distortion between digital and analog?

Thank you!!
TRACKING-- for direct electric guitar the processing is very nice. Otherwise, I don't use the processor for tracking. My main converters are in for repair so the HEDD is presently serving as my back up tracking converter if I only need to track 1 or 2 channels. Of course, the converters in the HEDD are stellar. If I need to track more than 2 at a time I'll drag out the RADAR.

MIXING-- this is where the HEDD sits most of the time-- on the final stereo bus of an 24 TK analog console. Then AES to a Tascan DVRA1000. This allows me to print my final mix at a sample rate different from the project in the DAW.

MASTERING-- I can't say that I am doing real "mastering" but I want to be able to compile a demo Redbook CD that sounds good. This is where the HEDD is most valuable to me-- I can print a 44.1/16 file that can be used to compile a Redbook CD. To my ear the HEDD at 44.1/16 sounds great. I don't like to do digital sample rate conversion nor most dithering within DAWs.

Regarding tips on how much Tape, Triode, Pentode--- As far as I am concerned the knobs may as well be labeled A,B,&C. I just turn then until it sounds good and then back off a bit. Less is better.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
you can hit the red on the hedd but just bounce off it. if you know what I mean.
you can clearly hear the digital clip...it all depends on how your using the hedd.
I use mine in mastering and I try to keep the levels up as high as I can..at the same time I don't play the loudness war

Thanks.

I use it in different ways but above all in mastering. So you leave that it clips very often?
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal View Post
Thanks.

I use it in different ways but above all in mastering. So you leave that it clips very often?
This really depends on the program material. I've had projects were you can hardly hit the red and you'll hear the distortion, I've had projects were I'm pushing 3dB above what should be going in and hear no distortion.

Dave built the thing with tons of headroom but again any of this stuff is really subject to how well the program material was recorded and mixed. In other words if just the snare is the peak in the program material you can hit the HEDD a lot harder then say if half the instruments in the piece are causing the peaks. Of course I'm talking using it as an A/D here.

Last edited by Silvertone; 28th August 2007 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

i agree with post 6

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search