The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
thinking about replacing my AKG 451Bs with tube SDC Condenser Microphones
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

thinking about replacing my AKG 451Bs with tube SDC

i think that my 451 B's are decent - i use them a lot for drum OH and acoustic guitars and piano - but i have this suspicion there may be a whole other world of smoother SDC for my digital recordings... the 451s can sometimes feel too bright for my tastes. i tend to favour the less modern - more vintage tones in general but i am looking to stay with a pair of SDCs - so please no recommendations of LDCs or ribbons etc...

i have been reading about the chameleon lab ones and am curious about the mojave ones or the peluso ones.

i can't afford to go super high end boutique top dollar but i am looking for input and recommendations.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

km54's and km64's are amazing, but it sounds like you don't have that kind of budget. I would check out some km84's.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

thanks but i am interested in thoughts on TUBE SDCs.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Then perhaps the 54's or 64's are for you.
I personally can't stand poorly implemented tube designs. You might want to spend some $.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrox247 View Post
Then perhaps the 54's or 64's are for you.
I personally can't stand poorly implemented tube designs. You might want to spend some $.
what designs or mics are you referring to?

i do want to spend some money - just not top end vintage/boutique $$.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Most modern "budget" tube mic designs are pretty poor.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

which ones have you used?
Old 27th August 2007
I don't know if this is under your budget or whatnot, but Groove Tubes makes a tube SDC called the GT40. It has interchangeable omni/cardioid capsules and sounds very smooth. Unfortunately I can't give input on the others, but this one may be worth checking out.
Old 27th August 2007
mas
Gear Nut

Hi,

I can recommend the AKG C28 A (also "B" version). That´s a modular tube mic that´s based on the CK1 capsule thread (well, actually CK28 but that´s the same thread). That means you can use all the capsules of the original C451 system (except the CK9 long shotgun) and even more. You could also use all the large diaphragm lollipop capsules from BLUE (/RED/Violet) if you wanted it at some point in the future.
It sounds very rich and smooth, a whole different world from a C451B.
The C28A was introduced in the 50ties and has almost the same circuit as the C12. But it isn´t cheap and hard to find.

However, despite you´re looking for a tube mic, I think you should try a real C451 before. From what you wrote, it may be the solution for you. It has a way smoother sound with more meat in the midrange and a bit less highs. Their top end doesn´t sound as hard and peaky.
If you combine the CK1 with a C460B body, you get a more neutral, detailed and open sound that´s still far better than the C451B.
With these mics you really get a lot for the money.

The AKG C34 (kind of a small diaphragm version of the C422) sounds also great, but isn´t cheap.

As I own all of the mentioned mics, I´ve done extensive comparisons and I´m planning to sell the C451B´s (matched pair BTW) as I never use them.
One more thing: all the original 451´s I have used had less self noise than the 451B (at least less apparent)!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search