The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
mixdown to DSD - your experience? Studio Headphones
Old 27th August 2007
mixdown to DSD - your experience?

I'm interested to hear feedback from users of the new Korg recorders. I see some forum people who mixdown to DSD. A few questions.....

Do you notice a SIZEABLE improvement compared to 32bit float files? Any comparisons to tape?

How do you manage the content after creating the DSD? It seems like without DSD compatible playback system the gains would be lost. Do you reimport this into PCM?

thanks for your time....
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

The 5.6Mhz DSD format sounds more open and smoother compared to a 24/96 captured file. And I'd say that the improvement here is a no brainer, whether you take the price into consideration or not.

When you decimated the DSD file into 24/96, however, the advantage is lost, and the two would sound very close.

Haven't compared it to tape so can't say anything here.

I backup the DSD file to another HD and also burn them as DVDs, being a backup freak. Decimating them into PCM is not a good idea, since you'll never get it all back. Kind of like you save a RAW image file into JPG....

There are some threads in the Pro Sound Web forum about the Korg DSD recorder. You should check them out if you're interested.
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Used to record my mixes to DSD for a while...On Sadie DSD-8...Stopped doing it for a few reasons:
First and foremost: I'm perfectly happy with 24/88.2 or 176.4...I do hear a difference, but if I have to switch back and forth 5 times (between PCM or DSD) to hear the difference...then I'm fine with both...
Second, the hassle-factor: have to convert it to PCM anyway...for listening copies, for mastering (not every MA Eng had DSD)...
Third: customer support from Sadie ... for some reason they decided to stop supporting their top range of gear, being the DSD range...
RR.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search