The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't do this to ya monitors! (esp Adam) Studio Monitors
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Is there anyway you can get some graphical representation of what your system might have been outputting? I don't know what your specific system is like, but maybe you could play a 24khz wave out of one system at 48khz, and record into another at 96khz...

I think you guys really did some good homework on this problem, and it would be great to see if this was the problem.

Sorry, I can't do this on my own rig AFAIK. I'm not just being lazy I swear!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Have any of you seen an NS-10 woofer becoming a crumbled paper ball instantly....

i once put a recording of thunder on them a bit too loud and it was just what happened....

two completely blown woofers...
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

When i was a teenager living in my moms basement, i ran 2 club style 18' subs threw one of those low freq test, After hearing a few dishes fall, and her loud yell over the bass, i realized i was in deep ****.. My brother was upstairs listening to headphones and he thought we were having an earthquake. Nothing like being a kid again..
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

That's why it should contain nothing...the Nyquist frequency should have been filtered out before the signal hit the converters...
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
That's why it should contain nothing...the Nyquist frequency should have been filtered out before the signal hit the converters...
Hey Duardo.. do you literally mean there should have been no sound emitted out my converters trying to represent a 24KHz sine @ 48kHz sampling rate?

Coz I can assure there... there was something coming out to cause my tweeters to smoke!!
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
I don't know how much they sell for in Oz. USD they're $225 each. They're as easy to replace as you would think
Wow this is not as bad as I thought...

Cameron, only $450 USD to fix the dumbass attack you had with your speakers, I think it's worth it. Those ADAMS are precision instruments, and while you're working, you wouldn't want to have in the back of your mind that your monitors are most likely comprimised. Those little transients and subtlties in the high frequencies are a big part of what makes the ADAMs so special.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncival View Post
Did you just let the smoke go away or did you try to catch it and put it back in there? Getting the smoke in there in the first place is one of the hardest parts of the manufacturing process. They don't sound as good once it gets out.
LOL!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey Duardo.. do you literally mean there should have been no sound emitted out my converters trying to represent a 24KHz sine @ 48kHz sampling rate?
Yes, the Nyquist theorem states that it is possible to capture and reproduce all frequencies below (but not including) the Nyquist frequency, and of course even with today's linear phase filters there will be some rollof before that frequency...but even in a theoretically perfect converter the Nyquist frequency should be completely absent. It has to be for the system to work.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search