The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
API 2500 or Fatso!! btter mojo vibe box for the 2bus! Dynamics Plugins
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

API 2500 or Fatso!! btter mojo vibe box for the 2bus!

So guys which box do you recommend? I know are quiet different but I know both can add some nice vibe/color and gel to the mix..

So which one you would get ...at least first??
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel View Post
So guys which box do you recommend? I know are quiet different but I know both can add some nice vibe/color and gel to the mix..

So which one you would get ...at least first??

API 2500 for 2-buss -- vintage, open glue that doesn't dominate...
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

fatso rocks on the drum mult, the SPANK compression and some WARMTH

... but i'm not sure if i wanted to run my whole mix thru it
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

buy both!!!heh
Actually UBK could give you a good input,,,,
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

We've been mixing our album and the engireer, who really has a god given talent with his craft, has used the Fatso on the mix buss so that he runs it in parallel below the main buss, just to give the mix some extra high end magic and other Fatso specialities!
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Guru

i've got the fatso parked on the drum buss, and the 2500 parked on the mix, it's a deadly combo. if you can only have one, get the 2500 for the mix. then get the fatso as soon as possible. both units are exceptionally good at de-digitizing things. i rarely use warmth because everything hits tape at least twice.

2500 is way more versatile, hence a better first choice imo; the fatso does a unique kind of vintage *SPLAT* that gives drums so much ballsy power and authority, like a punchy 160 with the meat and crunch of a 2254.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

i hit the fatso very slightly during mastering
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
i've got the fatso parked on the drum buss, and the 2500 parked on the mix, it's a deadly combo. if you can only have one, get the 2500 for the mix. then get the fatso as soon as possible. both units are exceptionally good at de-digitizing things. i rarely use warmth because everything hits tape at least twice.

2500 is way more versatile, hence a better first choice imo; the fatso does a unique kind of vintage *SPLAT* that gives drums so much ballsy power and authority, like a punchy 160 with the meat and crunch of a 2254.

gregoire
del
ubk
Thanks!

Do you use the API summing system? the 8200? do you like it?
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Head

API 2500!!!

API 2500!!!
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Guru

no 8200, i'm a nicerizer guy. the nicer is closer to a neve vibe than api, it's more sugary and the harmonics are richer. it also appears to be discontinued, destined to be a collector's piece (or so i hope).

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Thanks UBK!

I was very interested in the Nicerizer..but I heard about certain issues,,,did you have any problems?
So what would be your second and third choices for a summing box/system?

Also....if you do not mind sharing ..why UBK ??and all those names, codes? I mean :
gregoire
del
ubk

Thanks so much!!

Apreciatte your feedback!

what do you think about the waves API 2500 plug in ...against the Hardware?
Old 27th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKatis View Post
API 2500!!!
+1
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Addict

more opinions?
Old 29th August 2007
jho
Lives for gear

I like a 2500 or a 1968 on the main buss and distressors, a C2 or Fatso on the drum buss. Usually the C2 on the drum buss. To me the fatso offers some corrective features that help fix digitally sounding things but it's not my first choice out of many that I own for the 2 buss.

I do mostly rock.

Jeff
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKatis View Post
API 2500!!!
Peter, nice job on that Interpol album. Welcome aboard! thumbsup
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah! the question is what would give you more ...the Nicerizer, or the API 2500 /the Fatso on the 2 buss!
Old 29th August 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
Yeah! the question is what would give you more ...the Nicerizer, or the API 2500 /the Fatso on the 2 buss!
Every song calls for something different sometimes but if I could choose only ONE for the 2 BUSS it would be the 2500 (between those 3 choices). That's not to say the fatso wouldn't be useful on the 2 buss on some songs. I'm just saying.. "if you could only choose one". However if you do a lot of tracking as much or more than mixing then it becomes a more difficult choice as I feel the fatso is great for tracking.

There is a thread on here where Paul Wolff, the guy who designed the 2500 wrote about some killer 2 buss settings for it... I've used them and they work quite well even though logical thinking would tell you otherwise. Here's the thread

API 2500

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post
There is a thread on here where Paul Wolff, the guy who designed the 2500 and is now the guy at TOFT wrote about some killer 2 buss settings for it... I've used them and they work quite well even though logical thinking would tell you otherwise. Here's the thread

API 2500

And Malcolm Toft is the new guy at Tonelux...

Cheers,
RR
Old 29th August 2007
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Alamo View Post
And Malcolm Toft is the new guy at Tonelux...

Cheers,
RR

you know what i mean!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jho View Post

you know what i mean!
I do...(don't tell my girl I said 'I do' to you)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search