The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DAV BG-2: Favorite uses? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 26th August 2007
DAV BG-2: Favorite uses?

Hey all,

I recently picked up a Dav BG-2 (their 4 channel rack mounted mic pre.)

I haven't had too much time to test it out so far on different sources and wanted to compare my impressions with yours and figure out where best to use it.

So far, I've found it an excellent pre for classical and acoustic recordings where cleanliness is king. To my ears it is sweeter sounding than the Grace 101 and Millenia HV3 (just MHO.)

I've also found it to be a great pre for drums (depending on the desired output sound) and for live recordings from a splitter snake (vocals, acoustic guitar, etc.)

I haven't tried it on some other sources yet (Bass, Electric Guitars, Pianos, studio Vocals, etc.)

I'm curious to hear how the DAV has faired on these sources in your experience, what your favorite uses for the DAV pre are, or why you prefer something else... just trying to accelerate my learning curve as I continue to acclimate to using it.

For my part, I've found a cleaner pre like the DAV to be a bit too surgical with some sources (studio vocals/acoustic guitar) preferring to choose tube or transformer designs to add color and warmth before going digital.

I'd love to hear about your experiences.

Peace,

-Tunes
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

For the price, DAV is an excellent preamp. It is not surprising that you found it sounding better and more pleasant than Millennia, which generally tends to sound a bit hard and not very musical (not very transparent either, with an extra edge on HF). DAV is a pleasant sounding preamp with an overall "syrupish" touch, which in most cases gives a nice feeling to many sources. It has some drawbacks too - like not very fast on transients, a bit less controlled (not balanced) high frequencies content, slightly "compressed" feeling (some people may call it a "ready-made sound") etc. But in this price range it simply rules and I enjoyed using it for some time. You can consider it as a good general purpose preamp, which gives a nice, decent touch to most sources. You may miss something if you look for the ultimate detail, realism or drum punchy feeling.

An occassional escape to "coloured" tube preamps when one uses something like HV3 (thinking that "transparency" is a bit boring) is sometimes a common tendency. But if you use a really transparent, musical and full sounding preamp (like for example the new Forssell stereo preamp), you may not need that any more, since you may find that there is nothing like a full, live, warm, 3D, transparent sound - I am talking from my own experience ...

I am sure you will enjoy your new DAV preamp ...
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote.........."I'm curious to hear how the DAV has faired on these sources in your experience, what your favorite uses for the DAV pre are, or why you prefer something else... just trying to accelerate my learning curve as I continue to acclimate to using it.".........

Hi
We use DAV BG1 's in our set up here, which is classical location recording. We place them as close to the microphones as possible, at the bass of the mic stands instead of 50-70 metres away in the control room.
I've found that on choral work they "allow" a rich and full sound to be captured with all of the higher frequencies present, but not at the expense of the lower and mids.
The engineer's design aim was/is to simply amplify the mic signal, and I feel the richness of sound is what is captured from the microphone. When we record brass the sound is simply what you would expect to hear standing in the position of the microphone. Incredibly realistic. I do that at every session, even though I know what to expect.
If I were to sum up my impressions of the DAV BG1, I would say that it never ever impoverishes anything it records, (which is not always the case with every mic pre) it is very truthful and centred, or focussed. There is no high frequency harshness, they are present, but in a correct proportion to the rest of the audio spectrum, with no imbalance of frequencies in favour of the higher ones. Just nicely balanced, honest audio.
I cannot agree with Ivo on the slowness of transients, these are often mistakenly judged to be faster on mic amps with a high frequency bias - this is the case with microphones too, the transients with the DAV I find to be realistic, which is what I'm looking for. Also, forget the "good for the price" tag which is sometimes made for the DAV, my comments relate to any price range - don't be fooled by this being reasonable - they're good at any price. Pricing is often used as a marketing ploy (if it costs more, it must be better) not in this case.
I'm thrilled to bits with ours. I think the more you use them in real-life recording situations, the more you will appreciate their qualities.

All the best
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
It is not surprising that you found it sounding better and more pleasant than Millennia, which generally tends to sound a bit hard and not very musical (not very transparent either, with an extra edge on HF).
Have you guys heard any of the work done with IsoMike? They use an HV-3D for all of their productions and from all accounts the work is superlative!

iso mike
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

I use mine for acoustic stuff, overheads, and for vocals if I want to capture the detail from a tube mic or unhyped LDC. I only have two channels, but I'd be happy to sell some of my other pres to get more.
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

i love my DAV on acoustic guitar with a pair of sdc's!
transparent, rich and buttery all at the same time
and u gotta love the high pass filter.

tried it in vox...it was a bit thin for me,
but thats just for my taste (and voice).
like someone said before, it might be perfect for vocals
when you want detail or on a really clear voice (choir comes to mind).

cant wait to try it on drum overheads.

FWIW, these preamps hang with the big boys

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search