The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sony Closing - Auction - Who's Going to Preview day Equalisers (HW)
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sony Closing - Auction - Who's Going to Preview day

Looks interesting. I just got the auction brochure. Most of the mics are gone (guess some lucky ones got them on the way out.) Anyone going out of interest? Want to grab coffee? My studio is just up the street.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

i didnt see any mics in the brochure at all. makes me think all the choice stuff has been lifted already. Gonna go for the first day of auction and see what it is.
Old 26th August 2007
I will check it out on Friday, I see some stuff I can put my hands on.
Old 26th August 2007
One with big hooves

I got the mailer last week too... might head in just to poke around... for the hang as it were.
Old 8th September 2007
Super Moderator

Yeah, all the sweet goodies are gone...

I was there a few weeks ago; saw a lot of stuff that isn't on Finn auction equipment list.
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Guru

i was thinking of going when i thought there might be an la3a to nab, but apparently they're gone too.

cursed internet!

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 8th September 2007
Super Moderator

Click on this link for the latest updated lists...

Public Auction Sale 2 Day Sale* MON
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

WOW
See what a little Ipod can do.......kill off an industry.

nIC
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth View Post
WOW

nIC
More like: "See what not signing a carrer artist in over 30 years can do....kill off an industry."
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddS View Post
More like: "See what not signing a carrer artist in over 30 years can do....kill off an industry."
riiight. It has NOTHING to do with illegally downloading songs for free. I'm so sick of the "major labels are the devil", or the opposite "the industry will collapse without majors". The truth is, its somewhere in between...like many things in life. But don't tell me they never signed a "career" artist in 30 years. Thats just an incorrect statement. Last 5-10 years, I can see where you're coming from. 30??? nope.
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I went to sony today. for the first ten minutes I felt bad for it. then I noticed they had their edit of aerosmith with Fergie at the "fashion rocks concert" on a huge projector screen. And wonder of wonder, they were playing it over and over and over again. how fitting.

it reminded me of this

Frank Zappa Explains the Decline of Music - Video

as for the gear. its obviously been picked over by numerous people. lots of HUGE monitors.
Old 8th September 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aearth View Post
WOW

nIC

Ahh, it's more about the real estate.
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Click on this link for the latest updated lists...

Public Auction Sale 2 Day Sale* MON
Hmm, seems, all the Lexicons (300 and 480s) have disappeared. I asked a friend to try to get one for me, but seems they somehow vanished before the auction
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISedlacek View Post
Hmm, seems, all the Lexicons (300 and 480s) have disappeared. I asked a friend to try to get one for me, but seems they somehow vanished before the auction
lexicon 300 is here Bidspotter.com-Live Internet Auction Broadcasting-LEXICON 300 DIGI EFFECT
lot 513

i am going for the neve 88r do you think 1200$ will do?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoteness View Post
Ahh, it's more about the real estate.
OH! So, they're not closing? They're going to reopen in another location?

hmmm.... don't think so.
Old 11th September 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by subatomicpieces View Post
OH! So, they're not closing? They're going to reopen in another location?

hmmm.... don't think so.
Oh yeah, then why are they moving to Battery (BMG) and opening four additional rooms?
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah actually, I was at the auction and just got off the phone from leaving a message with a friens who is in one of the lower links of mastering to tell him I was at his old job bidding on some familliar gear, (The pm4000 there almost broke his foot!) so I'm sitting there and all of a sudden he sneaks right beside me! He's like "Hey dude, when I saw you called today I knew you would be here." Turns out he was STILL working in the building got a HUGE raise and is being relocated. He's happy. This whole time I was like that sucks you got laid off, were are the Pultecs. Joke. So.....Four new rooms eh? Thats cool.

The auction was a roller coaster ride. Def some good deals towards the end and in certain spots. The first pair of Augsberger mains went for I think under $2200 and I think that the main Soundstage (Sidefills, front and subs) totalled under $2500 and that was with a Macrotech 5000 and processing and these (Dunlavy?) super huge floor standing on steroids audiofile type (mastering?) speakers where talking 6 1/2, 7 feet tall almost 3 feet wide and 4 feet or so deep and beautiful went for aprox $3700. The buyer said that they were $17,000 new. They looked new!?!

I got the CBS Componder $325 and an spx90II for $150.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Kerr View Post
Def some good deals towards the end and in certain spots.
There were some good deals but not many. The outboard stuff is never a good deal because everyone wants it. The big ticket items were generally a good deal. There were great deals on speakers. Those giant PMC knock offs that were beautifully built in house went for about $3700. The Dunlavy's were about the right price. The giant Augsberger's w/ 4 15" went for $6500 and those were bid up. I've never seen any like those. That carpenter they had at Sony was top notch. All the cabinetry around there was beautiful. The custom LCR ATC's went for a very good price too.
Old 12th September 2007
Here for the gear

to jumpnyc

i missed the auction, but i'm in the same neighborhood. still wanna have a coffee and talk show?
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Picked up and Amek Medici EQ, Crown Ref 1 and some timeline Lynx 2's for my MM1200. Overall prices were a bit below ebay on the normal outboard gear. Only 1 of the 7 Lex 480's remained (only analog io's) and went for $3600. Wanted that Emt plate with the martech electronics but it went over $2k. Fully loaded 192 io's went for $1600. A friend of mine picked up a Sony 1/4 2 track for $50.

Oh, one great deal, a Sony 3348hr (playback only) for $500 (bit of a discount from the original $200k)!

Towards the end an SPL 5.1 mastering console went for $6700. Sony paid $46k and literally hadn't fired it up yet.

Really sad to see that building go. Really glad I put my room in Avatar next door instead of Sony (I had discussed with both).
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep Dude View Post
Overall prices were a bit below ebay on the normal outboard gear. Only 1 of the 7 Lex 480's remained (only analog io's) and went for $3600.
Wrong! Add 10% + sale tax, that's 18.5% on top of each winning bid.
The Lex480L sold for $3600, meaning $4250 with tax+premium. But it had NO LARC! That's what you usually pay for it on Ebay...
I found the outboard to sale for way too much than it should have, understanding that we didn't know if it was working or not.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Maniac

The Amek 9098 EQ had one of the knobs bent down.

The M5000 had some note: "OK", "No Dynamics Algorithm"
Old 12th September 2007
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstringer View Post
Wrong! Add 10% + sale tax, that's 18.5% on top of each winning bid.
The Lex480L sold for $3600, meaning $4250 with tax+premium. But it had NO LARC! That's what you usually pay for it on Ebay...
I found the outboard to sale for way too much than it should have, understanding that we didn't know if it was working or not.
I hear that -- many items went for way too much bread, especially since most folks didn't know if it worked or not.

If you had a resale certificate you saved on the sales tax, but that 10% buyer premium was still something to think about.

It held me back from going too far on many of the items I wanted to own.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search