The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
commissioning and decommissioning
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

commissioning and decommissioning

can someone put into plain language commissioning and decommissioning of a console ...

is it just the proper removal and storage of modules and then the reverse with full tech of console when commissioning ?

thank you

john
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Hi
Basically yes!
A decent tech will be able to disassemble and reassemble it again without damaging it. Full commissioning woukld include a thorough check of all signal paths although the exact scale of this should be discussed beforehand as it takes several days at least to fully check a 'proper' desk.
Matt S
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

yeah basically what Matt said.

it is usually an expensive process, especially with some larger consoles.

If you have a decent knowledge of electronics, signal flow, consoles in general... Then I would recommend that you do the initial commission yourself.

When I received the last desk I bought, a neotek a elite, this is what I did.

Unpacked the input modules, and first looked at each one to make sure there was nothing that i could see right of the bat... Like looking for burnt up resistors. I found a few here and there and replaced them.

Then I installed all the modules into the desk, then the center section. Made sure everything was connected properly. I had my basic electronics guy come in and look at the power supply. Just making sure it was okay to fire up.

Then I go through channel by channel making sure the mic pres, line ins, eq's work. Then i make sure the bussing and aux sends work. I usually patch a cd player or something in to do the tests.

Then I make sure the pan pots, knobs, and switches work... The solo, and mute switches.

Then the center section, meters, etc.

When I find problems, I write it down.

For instance, when I got the Neotek...I noticed there were some scratchy pots, 2 mic pres didnt work, one channel didn't bus properly, my talk back mic wasnt working, my solo bus was humming, a few mute switches didn't work, and there were a few leds burnt out.

that sounds like there was alot wrong.. but they were all simple fixes... Changing pots, ic chips, op amps etc.

But the overall moralof the story is that it took me 2 days to do that initial work... So I saved myself about $1500 bucks and was able to make sure the tech was doing his job.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search