The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 Pre's, Which Will it Be? Multi-Channel Preamps
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

3 Pre's, Which Will it Be?

Focusrite Red 1
Vintech 473
API 3124+

I just want a great clean sound on drums, acoustic guitar, vocals, and guitar cab miking, and I think i've narrowed it down to these three. Which one do you think is my best bet?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

i live with a guy that swears up and down that chopped liver is the best food of all time.

he has lots of eating experience, so do i.

i couldn't eat chopped liver if it accidentally fell into my mouth.

in other words...don't kid yourself. get some mic pres in your room and use them in a real session. there's quite a few ways to do this.
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

That's the only problem, I live out in the country at least 2 and a half hours from any real music store.. besides Bob's String Shack.. so how do I demo units?
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

Mercenary(.com) will let you demo stuff. Sweetwater(.com) does a 30-day satisfaction guarantee with no restocking fees.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmangrum77 View Post
I just want a great clean sound on drums, acoustic guitar, vocals, and guitar cab miking, and I think i've narrowed it down to these three. Which one do you think is my best bet?

demo the focusrite and the api, one of those should fit the bill nicely.

gregoire
del
ubk
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Personally I'm very underwhelmed by the newer Focusrite stuff. It's not awful, just...boring. API, on the other hand, is great.
Old 25th August 2007
Deleted User
Id probably go witht he Vintech 473 since it has eq inline as well. The Vintech may STACK a little better than the API sonce the API has pushed forward mids, sounds great, just saying. i cant see the Focurite having all that much character. tough choice really. API or Vintech , youd be happy
Old 25th August 2007
Jai guru deva om

To further confuse you, I'd say to investigate the Daking 4 channel mic pre. The Daking preamps deliver snappy attack / punchy drums in abundance and bring lots of detail to the surface. They deliver a crisp and somewhat aggressive sound on all sources...great for rock stuff period.

War
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Maniac

...and to add to your confusion...

http://www.wunderaudio.com/Pafourproduct.html
Old 25th August 2007
I use the Vintech 473 for drums, guitars and keyboards there all around great mic pre's. I own a Red 8 ( their just like the Red 1's but only stereo pair) but dont use it much... maybe its just me but I think they are very colored, syrupy sweet kinda thing. Not always a bad thing.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

Why not look into the 500 series of modules - you can pick one channel of API, another of Shadow Hills, and a third by Buzz; and anything else that you like.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

If you're looking for a big clean sound I'd recommend the John Hardy range of pre-amps.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Guru

s20
A designs
Old 26th August 2007
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonmangrum77 View Post
That's the only problem, I live out in the country at least 2 and a half hours from any real music store.. besides Bob's String Shack.. so how do I demo units?

If you cant just buy the cheapest one.

gustav
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by moracspace View Post
I wouldnt compare the daking to api but its in the same league.

Hmmm, the flavor is to close heh, maybe i will wait it out since i have a 3124.
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

Well thanks for all the advice, and all the other confusing pre choices. I'm calling Mercenary in a few days to demo the Api 3124 and the John Hardy M-1.. we'll see who wins the battle.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
To further confuse you, I'd say to investigate the Daking 4 channel mic pre. The Daking preamps deliver snappy attack / punchy drums in abundance and bring lots of detail to the surface. They deliver a crisp and somewhat aggressive sound on all sources...great for rock stuff period.

War
I'll give you an amen on that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search