The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
2-LA-2 Universal Audio... Secret! Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

2-LA-2 Universal Audio... Secret!

This thing has been a mystery forever. Anyone know much about this? I have sent UA email after email, inquiring about it's release and they haven't even answered me once. Instead I am flooded with software advertising from the UAD1 line.
I like their gear, don't get me wrong, I have the 2-1176 and a LA610. I'm wondering if it is anything close to the real deal!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoEgo View Post
This thing has been a mystery forever. Anyone know much about this? I have sent UA email after email, inquiring about it's release and they haven't even answered me once. Instead I am flooded with software advertising from the UAD1 line.
I like their gear, don't get me wrong, I have the 2-1176 and a LA610. I'm wondering if it is anything close to the real deal!
Who cares, UA stuff sounds fantastic. My Urei 1176 sounds different than other Urei 1176's. Yes, they are similar or ANALOG (similar structure to another) you might say.

Blue Thumb Productions-Audio Production Facilities
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I´ve sent an inquiry about the 2-LA-2, too and I´ve received an answer via email within 48 hours. It looks like the first run of the 2-LA-2 should start shipping from Monday.

Toby
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Here's one thing I don't get about the 2-LA-2 . . .

The piece is $3,500.

Why not just buy two LA-610's at $1,500 a piece, picking up two mic pres/di's as well in the process, and save $500 when it is all said and done?

What am I missing here? The ability to link the two sides vs. dual mono? Is that all?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c View Post
Here's one thing I don't get about the 2-LA-2 . . .

The piece is $3,500.

Why not just buy two LA-610's at $1,500 a piece, picking up two mic pres/di's as well in the process, and save $500 when it is all said and done?

What am I missing here? The ability to link the two sides vs. dual mono? Is that all?
1st, you can't use the compressor separately from the 610 Mic Pre. This reason alone to me makes your option not viable for most people. You can use the 1176 Compressor separate from the 610 Pre on the 6176 though, which is very nice.

I seriously doubt that the LA2A type compressor used in the LA610 is the same as the one used in the 2-LA2A. The only real similarities between an LA2A and the compressor on the LA610 is the T4, which is only part of the LA2A design.

What I really want to know, is how close is the 2-LA2A to the actual LA2A.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

If the compressors are different entirely between the two units, then yes of course. I figured it was a dual-mono linkable version of the LA-2A-style T4 opto-compressor in the LA-610.

I don't own the LA-610 but I do own the 6176, and you're right it is nice to be able to use the pre/DI and compressor seperately.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier777c View Post
If the compressors are different entirely between the two units, then yes of course. I figured it was a dual-mono linkable version of the LA-2A-style T4 opto-compressor in the LA-610.

I don't own the LA-610 but I do own the 6176, and you're right it is nice to be able to use the pre/DI and compressor seperately.
The 2 LA-2 is certainly different than the original in that it uses two different t4b's - one for quick attack/release and one for slow attack/release.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

A friend has one on indefinite order. I have an original so it will be interesting to A/B them.... if its ever released.....
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone tried the Anthony DeMaria Labs ADL 1500? I think that is essentially a stereo LA-2A clone and it costs less than the UA single channel LA2a.

B
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

the 2-LA2A sounds very cool. i have an old pair of La2a's that were turned into 1 stereo/dual mono unit. Would not care to live anymore without it......ok that's too dramatic, but it does make the point on how much I like it

Stuart
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

At NAMM they had a prototype as well as the vintage real deal. UA had options of all sorts of unprocessed tracks - drums, bass, vox, gtrs etc that you could run through any hardware piece and monitor through headphones. Personally, I couldnt hear a difference. I'm sure some people could but I cant and even if I could, it wouldn't be like one smoked the other. Just another opinion....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search