The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
U87 repair Atlanta Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 25th August 2007
Here for the gear

U87 repair Atlanta

Hi,

My buddy has a U87 with possible moisture issues. Does anyone know of a reputible tech in the Altlanta area?

Thanx - Jimmy
Old 25th August 2007
member no 666

I know several reputable techs in Atlanta... but they're not the guys you want to call for that problem. Chances are really good you need a capsule cleaning... the only two guys in the US I would trust to do that are Tony Merrill out at Stephen Paul Audio in LA or Klaus Heyne at German Master Works in Oregon.

Your other option would be to send it up to Neumann in Connecticut but they'll want to replace the capsule to the tune of like $800+

As a first step you might try flipping the capsule around... this would entail unscrewing the bottom ring of the mic and removing the body... pulling off the head and removing the 3 screws that hold the grill onto the capsule assembly.

Being exceptionally careful not to break the ends on the switches or the pad and bass rolloff remove the capsule assembly from the head [sometimes if you loosen the 4 screws in the middle that hold on the capsule it's easier to wiggle them out... but be careful, some versions of the U-87 have ball bearing on the switch assemblies that you absolutely DO NOT want to lose!!].

Unsolder the little yellow wires that go from the center of the capsule to the posts on the capsule assembly [unsolder them at the post end!!]. Remove the two screws that hold on the capsule, turn it around, resolder the wires to the correct posts, reassemble the head, put it back on the body and if all goes well you'll get another few years of cardioid use from the thing... or just use it as a 'stop gap' measure until your appointment with Klaus comes up.

Best of luck with it!!

Peace.
Old 26th August 2007
amd
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboza43 View Post
Hi,

My buddy has a U87 with possible moisture issues. Does anyone know of a reputible tech in the Altlanta area?

Thanx - Jimmy

I had my U-87 capsule cleaned for about $85.00 for 1 hour of labor and 15.00 for shipping. Call Neumann, they will give you an estimate before they complete the work.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
I know several reputable techs in Atlanta... but they're not the guys you want to call for that problem. Chances are really good you need a capsule cleaning... the only two guys in the US I would trust to do that are Tony Merrill out at Stephen Paul Audio in LA or Klaus Heyne at German Master Works in Oregon.

Your other option would be to send it up to Neumann in Connecticut but they'll want to replace the capsule to the tune of like $800+

As a first step you might try flipping the capsule around... this would entail unscrewing the bottom ring of the mic and removing the body... pulling off the head and removing the 3 screws that hold the grill onto the capsule assembly.

Being exceptionally careful not to break the ends on the switches or the pad and bass rolloff remove the capsule assembly from the head [sometimes if you loosen the 4 screws in the middle that hold on the capsule it's easier to wiggle them out... but be careful, some versions of the U-87 have ball bearing on the switch assemblies that you absolutely DO NOT want to lose!!].

Unsolder the little yellow wires that go from the center of the capsule to the posts on the capsule assembly [unsolder them at the post end!!]. Remove the two screws that hold on the capsule, turn it around, resolder the wires to the correct posts, reassemble the head, put it back on the body and if all goes well you'll get another few years of cardioid use from the thing... or just use it as a 'stop gap' measure until your appointment with Klaus comes up.

Best of luck with it!!

Peace.
for Klaus Heyne and stephen paul audio.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Guru

About every 6 months i have to take a eraser and clean my contacts if i start having any issues, once i have did that, mic goes back to 100 percent.
Old 15th March 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post

Best of luck with it!!

Peace.
Thanks as always Fletcher! thumbsup
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search