The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the word on Soundelux mics? Condenser Microphones
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
What's the word on Soundelux mics?

I've got an opportunity to buy either an E47 or Elux 251 for a good price - won't be able to try them out though...Any opinions on them?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

maynard uses them

'nuff said, i guess
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have an Elux 251. Phenomenal mic.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

We love Soundelux at our studio. U99 and E47 specifically. E47 is my goto male vocal mic. Very very high quality. I haven't compared it side-by-side with real 47's or other -a-like's... but from what I've read and heard, the Soundelux is a highly-regarded knockoff.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Meriphew, great vox's on your Myspace site, where those recorded with the Soundelux?

Diging the song "breakup"... great stuff. Am I detecting a little Peter Gabriel influence?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I have an e47c, the cardiod only version. It sat in the box for months during a lot of experimentation.

I finally decided to bring it out even just for messing around. It's like I don't own any other mics now. I use it everytime now. I might incorporate other mics, but nothing sounds better.

I haven't tried a real Neumann, but this thing really blows me away sometimes. Kind of like water when I'm thirsty. It's no flare, it just works.

I'm waiting to hear about these 'vintage' mics 10-15 years from now. I just want to get an e49 before that time comes. Which I believe it will. Not like Neumanns, but I feel the stupidity is inevitable.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I had a U95 that I lost in a studio breakup. That was a kick-ass mic!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
Yeah - Meriphew - vocals sound great on "Breakup"...Elux 251?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

this week here my e47 was used alongside an original neumann 47 and there
really was no difference - the neumann souded noisier....

i would get the-e7 as david bock is making the 251 and not the 47 right now....
i mean to get another e-47....

always great
every rufus wainwright vocal for want 1 and want 2 is my e47

be well

- jack
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I was looking to purchase a Soundelux later this year but I hear they don't exsist anymore. Can you still get them? Haven't they started up again under a new name or something and if so are they still the same killer mics?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
I was looking to purchase a Soundelux later this year but I hear they don't exsist anymore. Can you still get them? Haven't they started up again under a new name or something and if so are they still the same killer mics?
Bock Audio
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneeraj View Post
Bock Audio
Cheers.
Same sound, Same mics?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

i have a u99 and it's really nice on acoustic.. i love the mic..is Soundelux still in operation?
Old 25th August 2007
member no 666

I have an E-49 and a two U-195's... love 'um to death!!!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyman View Post
Meriphew, great vox's on your Myspace site, where those recorded with the Soundelux?

Diging the song "breakup"... great stuff. Am I detecting a little Peter Gabriel influence?
Heyman - Thx for the kind words. All my vox were done with the Elux 251 > GT Vipre > HD. I do listen to a bit of Peter Gabriel every now and then.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Yeah - Meriphew - vocals sound great on "Breakup"...Elux 251?
Thx Johnkenn.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
this week here my e47 was used alongside an original neumann 47 and there
really was no difference - the neumann souded noisier....
That musta been one f'd-upped u47. I've a/b'd them and they had absolutely zero sonic resemblance.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I own a U195 mic and it's absolutely phenomenal. Very versatile, especially with the Fat switch (negative feedback) and excellent build quality. The Elux 251 is a very nice mic as well.

I'd still suggest that you rent before buying, as either mic may or may not compliment your voice.

Good luck.
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Addict

The ELUX 251 is definitely an awesome mic. When it matches with the right vocalist it's heaven!!!
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

I've had the E47, U95, U99, U195, E49, ifet7, Elux 251 here. The only ones i cared for were U99 and Elux 251, but still chose the 2247LE, C48, and M149 over all of them, for my needs and ears.

Not to discount other's opinions and I have no affiliations with selling/buying mics.... just my experience -- I've seen some pretty questionable build quality on many Soundelux mics -- broken and/or crooked mounts (several), fussy switches, misaligned capsules and completely loose and rattling capsules right out of the box, tubes wedged in with scraps of foam rubber, etc.

Steve
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevetgn View Post
Cheers.
Same sound, Same mics?
Same guy making them, with the same designs. Basically, just a new name, and not as many mics in the product line as before -- although I'm sure there will be more...

Bock Audio Designs

John
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
I'm actually borrowing one tonight...
What about the 251C? I really only need cardioid...Is it exactly the same?
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm actually borrowing one tonight...
What about the 251C? I really only need cardioid...Is it exactly the same?
I believe the 251C became the Bock Audio 151...

JP
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Soundelux was good ****, definitely. Of course, there were more model numbers than I have facial hair, but when they had a winner, it was a big winner. The E49, U195, and ELUX mics are all stupendous. If a bad recording is made with any of them, it's not the fault of the microphone.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear
But if one were to buy the 251C, would you be buying the Elux without the multiple patterns?
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Head

250 / 251C Combo

Love my E250 for close in to the mic vocals and the E251C for further from the mic vox / backing vox and some acoustic gtr duties. No problem with the mics at all. I think the build quality is fine for a $2500 product.

The shock mount is another story.

So bad I had to go buy one of those Enhanced Audio mounts . . .
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
But if one were to buy the 251C, would you be buying the Elux without the multiple patterns?
Was the Elux 251C the Elux without the multi patterns in the first place?? Maybe you should contact Bock Audio or their distributor [TransAudio Group] directly for a definitive answer...

Cheers,
John
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Tried a e47 once and it sounded amazing just like a real 47 untill I hit it hard and it got thin in a hurry a real 47 doesn't do that.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
The E251C is the equivalent of the new Bock Audio 151, which is identical to the 251 (Elux251), except that it has a roll off at 30Hz (the 251 goes way down to 7Hz) and a switch to reduce the high end if desired.
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

Todd, are you able to say if more mics will be added to the Bock catalog?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search