The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What's the word on Soundelux mics? Condenser Microphones
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWgEAR View Post
Todd, are you able to say if more mics will be added to the Bock catalog?
Yes there will eventually be more models. We are focusing on the three in the lineup right now though. We can't consider expanding the line until we fill the backorders we already have!
Old 27th November 2007
Here for the gear

I had the E251 (amazing sound) and I loved it, but compared to the E47C for my voice (male), the E47C was a better match and a fair bit cheaper too. For acoustic guitar and female vocals the E251 was fantastic. It could even make the free nylon acoustic guitar I got from Sam Ash sound good enough to eat! I really like these two mics. I've not tried their others.
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Nut

Soundelux/ Bock Audio

I own the E47c, e49, e251c, ifet7, and u99. ALL Fantastic mics, ALL have there own places where they shine. But if I had to live with just one of them, Im taking the e47c. LOVE it for male vocals, as I do the e251c, but to me, the e47c wins for what it does for acoustic gtr, and other acoustic instruments OR pretty much anything else I set in front of it.
Now, if your doing more Female vox, maybe the e251c or e49 may suit you better. But to pretty much sum it up... You can't go wrong with any Soundelux Microphone... Live dangerously.....and buy em both.... LOL

-TJ
Starfight Studio
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Addict

E47 here. it is really really great on everything. Does anyone know if Bock will service my soundelux.?
Old 27th November 2007
Gear Addict

I have both the E47 and U195. Awesome, awesome mics. If someone disses either one I would question all else that they have to say regarding audio. Too strong? - nope!

Makes me think of someone close to me who will remain nameless. (alright, it's my cousin Joseph). I turned him on to Radiohead's OK Computer and he comes back to me with - "You like that?" I will now always question everthing he says regarding music. EVERYTHING! lol
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwavo View Post
E47 here. it is really really great on everything. Does anyone know if Bock will service my soundelux.?
He not only serviced my E49, he did it for free (even though it was 2nd hand and long out of warranty.) YMMV, but that was a hell of a thing to do, and won my undying gratitude.
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

I own an E49 and it's the best damn vocal mic I've ever used.

My partner owns an early E251 and it's amazing too, it definately has a speciffic character that I find really musical. It's probably the next best mic for my voice that I've tried.

I'd cut whole albums with either mic...but what I've been hearing and reading about David Bock leads me to conclude that either buying an older Soundelux mic made back when he was still with the company building them, or buying a NEW Bock Audio mic would be a safe bet instead of buying something that Soundelux manufactured without David around.

I think he was heart and soul of that company and all of the Bock Audio designs are really just his best ELAM designs hand made by the man himself like the early Soundelux's...so you really can't go wrong with that stuff...the problem is they made so many different models that had very little to do with David after he left...you should do your homework on the models being offered to you.
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herecomesyourman View Post
what I've been hearing and reading about David Bock leads me to conclude that either buying an older Soundelux mic made back when he was still with the company building them, or buying a NEW Bock Audio mic would be a safe bet instead of buying something that Soundelux manufactured without David around.
I don't think Soundelux produces mics anymore do they (Now it's just Bock)?
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
...the problem is they made so many different models that had very little to do with David after he left...you should do your homework on the models being offered to you.
I wasn't aware that Soundelux made any models without David. I could be be wrong though.
Old 28th November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I don't think Soundelux produces mics anymore do they (Now it's just Bock)?
yep it Bock now~
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

I just read and heard in passing a few times that there was a changing of hands within Soundelux...and that some of the newer units post Bock were the ones with the quality control issues people have complained about. I've not heard anything from Bock Audio...but I know he made the two mics we've got...and that they both sound fantastic. I think he's a genius and that you probably can't go wrong with the newer Bock offerings.
Old 29th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by alnico View Post
The ELUX 251 is definitely an awesome mic. When it matches with the right vocalist it's heaven!!!
I have a chrome-bodied 251 that David made for me. It wins in shootouts about 80% of the time. I like having a home run hitter that works on most vocals. Makes it easy to get a great vocal sound.

Two thumbs way up for this mic.

[EDIT: It took me a while but I found a picture. Mine's on the left with another Bock proto on the right. This was before the Bock logo was finalized and hence has a Soundelux logo in red. -LF]

Old 29th November 2007
Quote:
or buying a NEW Bock Audio mic would be a safe bet instead of buying something that Soundelux manufactured without David around.

I think he was heart and soul of that company and all of the Bock Audio designs are really just his best ELAM designs hand made by the man himself like the early Soundelux's...so you really can't go wrong with that stuff...the problem is they made so many different models that had very little to do with David after he left...you should do your homework on the models being offered to you.
That's the way rumors get started. I've spoken at great length with both David and Brad Lunde who has been David's encourager/instigator/distributor for as long as I can remember. We've had long discussions about exactly what happened at Soundelux. I wish I had recorded them so I could share them with you.

I don't think you'll find any Soundelux mic that David was not involved with because they don't exist. David makes the mics. Soundelux was the company he worked for. They didn't make the mics, he did. He was an employee of the media conglomerate Soundelux. (Want to see what they do? soundelux.com. They were never focused on making mics as their primary concern.) They were bought out and the new owners decided they didn't want the mic making portion of the company anymore. David bought all that part of the business and walked. He set up his own company, Bock Audio.

Still making the same great mics, just fewer models. New company, new name, you focus your attention carefully on the most popular and profitable models and expand from there.

But a Soundelux mic that didn't come from David Bock or have his direct involvement? I don't think you'll find one, because they don't exist.

Brad can correct me if I'm wrong.

There's a bit more info here: Bock Audio - 3dB
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

So it is/was that/the Soundelux!

I thought maybe they were in name trouble with those guys, but they ARE (were) "those guys"... heh
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
That's the way rumors get started. I've spoken at great length with both David and Brad Lunde who has been David's encourager/instigator/distributor for as long as I can remember. We've had long discussions about exactly what happened at Soundelux. I wish I had recorded them so I could share them with you.

I don't think you'll find any Soundelux mic that David was not involved with because they don't exist. David makes the mics. Soundelux was the company he worked for. They didn't make the mics, he did. He was an employee of the media conglomerate Soundelux. (Want to see what they do? soundelux.com. They were never focused on making mics as their primary concern.) They were bought out and the new owners decided they didn't want the mic making portion of the company anymore. David bought all that part of the business and walked. He set up his own company, Bock Audio.

Still making the same great mics, just fewer models. New company, new name, you focus your attention carefully on the most popular and profitable models and expand from there.

But a Soundelux mic that didn't come from David Bock or have his direct involvement? I don't think you'll find one, because they don't exist.

Brad can correct me if I'm wrong.

There's a bit more info here: Bock Audio - 3dB

Hrmn...Alright Lynn thanks for that info. I'm sorry if I was adding to rumour mill then. I'm definately not trying to make a big deal out of anything I was saying...that's just what I'd heard from a few different people over the past year or so.

I really do think David is a genius, so I hope I didn't offend anyone with my erronious statement.
Old 29th November 2007
Quote:
Hrmn...Alright Lynn thanks for that info. I'm sorry if I was adding to rumour mill then. I'm definately not trying to make a big deal out of anything I was saying...that's just what I'd heard from a few different people over the past year or so.

I really do think David is a genius, so I hope I didn't offend anyone with my erronious statement.
I didn't think you were trying to be harmful or offensive. It's just that someone somewhere thinks he hears something and tells someone else and then it makes it onto the internet where EVERYTHING is true and, before you know it, Hillary Clinton is pregnant with alien twins.

I just like to nip it in the bud when I see it. Just like Barney Fife. "Nip it, nip it, nip it."

Don Knotts: "Nip it in the bud! You got to nip it in the bud! ... Nip it! You go read any book you want on the subject of child discipline, and you'll find that every one of 'em is in favor of bud-nippin'... Only one way to take care of it."

Andy Griffith: "Nip it."

Knotts: "In the bud."
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Nut

Great show--& a classic episode ! !
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

HAHAhehhehheh

Got em all on DVD!!

oops, sorry
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

I believe the rumor got started simply because someone heard about the departure of David Bock (but before he got Bock Audio off the ground) saw Soundelux mics still being offered for sale. - I guess he doesn't understand about product still being in the "pipeline" after manufacture has ceased. So, this someone says to his buddies "Hey, I see Soundelux is still making mics, even though the designer/builder has left.", and of course, one or more of his buddies is a know-it-all who HAS to say "Yeah, I know all about that, and the new mics aren't as good" ('cause the know-it-all has to "one up" his buddy).

Actually the scenario above probably played out (with variations) wherever AE wannabees congregate. I say this because I actually heard something similar.

Scott
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone know any skinny regarding the distribution and quantity of Bock mics

Seems like a few places deal them, but they're rarely in stock. I've had an eye open for a Bock 195 for a while, and I'm not sure any have even shipped to distributors yet, despite ads offering them.

Anyone got any info?
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

i have a soundelux e250, and i love it
Old 29th November 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post

Seems like a few places deal them, but they're rarely in stock. I've had an eye open for a Bock 195 for a while, and I'm not sure any have even shipped to distributors yet, despite ads offering them.

Anyone got any info?
Actually the 195s have been shipping but are still backordered. If you want one, you should put an order in with your dealer. Be patient, though. There are a lot of people in line!
Old 29th November 2007
500 series nutjob

this was post some time back.
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
I have a chrome-bodied 251 that David made for me. It wins in shootouts about 80% of the time. I like having a home run hitter that works on most vocals. Makes it easy to get a great vocal sound.

Two thumbs way up for this mic.

[EDIT: It took me a while but I found a picture. Mine's on the left with another Bock proto on the right. This was before the Bock logo was finalized and hence has a Soundelux logo in red. -LF]

Crap I wish you hadn't showed me that. Now I want my E250's in chrome.

They look fantastic.

I might even say that they now look as fantastic as they sound!
Old 29th November 2007
Lives for gear

"Bock" yes, "Bock" is the word ON Soundeluxe mics now
Old 30th November 2007
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
Crap I wish you hadn't showed me that. Now I want my E250's in chrome.

They look fantastic.

I might even say that they now look as fantastic as they sound!
Old 30th November 2007
Jsx
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrispick View Post

Anyone got any info?
As ToddP said, the Bock Audio mics (195 included) are definitely shipping out, but most of the distributors have some pretty solid waiting lists. I know that Atlas Pro Audio has something of a waitlist and Sweetwater seems to get them in fairly regularly, although they apparently sell out either within days or before they have even arrived.
Old 30th November 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsx View Post
Sweetwater seems to get them in fairly regularly, although they apparently sell out either within days or before they have even arrived.

Are you sure that's accurate? We've had them on order since March or April, I doubt Bock would make us wait 8 months or more for U195's and deliver them consistently to Sweetwater. I've been told that none have shipped to any dealer and that backorders are about to ship in the next month or so.
Old 30th November 2007
Jsx
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred View Post
Are you sure that's accurate? We've had them on order since March or April, I doubt Bock would make us wait 8 months or more for U195's and deliver them consistently to Sweetwater. I've been told that none have shipped to any dealer and that backorders are about to ship in the next month or so.
I can't say definitively, I just know that I was asking around about some Bock microphones towards the end of September and Sweetwater told me they would be getting a handful in a couple weeks with more coming a couple weeks after that, which lead me to assume it must be something of a regular occurrence. Whether they actually came in or not I'm unsure, but that is at least what they told me. ToddP above would apparently know much more than I would.
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Maniac

So Bill Clinton impregnated alien triplets? Wow!

Love my pair of E47s! Great here as main pair for small jazz/Big Band (& male vox of course). Plenty nice on grand piano too.

Saving for a BockElux 151/251 in chrome now....

Last edited by divingduck; 30th November 2007 at 01:54 AM.. Reason: bad Engleesh

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search